Customer reviews

Your Brain Is God (Classic Reprint)
Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 19 February 2012
The awakened one, you see, is not a sleeper, like you and me, he's not a teacher; let alone a preacher; neither a prophet nor looking to profit. He isn't a snake, or an obvious fake; he is awake!

One day, Timothy Leary, realised through judicious use of the Brama O Mamma Matrix, that in every human being there slumber faculties in which he or she can attain the higher yoga awareness; the realisation that God resides not in the clouds; but behind your eyelids. This sounded good to Tim and, dare I say it, it should sound good to you too! Why, didn't you know that the God behind your eyelids makes you yourself God almighty? Yes, you! And, all you need to do is to switch those faculties on, and off you go!

Erwin Schrodinger, the father of quantum physics, believed, no, he knew this; and this is why he would finish his lectures by declaring to the local Church congregation, "Hence I am God Almighty", and he ended up winning the Nobel prize (though not for thinking that he was God, I am happy to say). We cannot all be Professor Schrödinger, that is, we cannot all remember who we are. So rather than being a fast track to enlightenment, the Brahma O Mamma Matrix is really a fast track to remembrance; which is the same thing!

What is it that needs remembering? How about the fact that this life you are living now is not merely an isolated piece of the universe, but in a certain sense your awareness is the whole of the ocean of the universe poured into your tiny little skull! It is only that, the way an ant can never know the forest but only the leaf, this whole cannot be surveyed in a single glance that you believe yourself to be an isolated blip on the canvas. In reality the almighty awareness is looking out of your eye-sockets; the awareness was there before Adam and will be there when the body rots; yes, you! You cannot remember this because your monkey brain can no way cope with the cosmic consciousness, just like an Amiga 500 computer would struggle to play a low resolution web page; but when you fall asleep and have one of those intensely weird dreams; this is your consciousness re-connecting with the higher reservoir of awareness and just because you can't remember, it doesn't mean that it is untrue. So what, you can't remember that you are the God, others have remembered for us, others like Nisargadatta Maharaj, the Neo of India and, of course, the Buddha. So why, don't you know, that you are what is inside your head, therefore if God is inside your head, then you are that, or you are God. Come on, say it, 'I am that! I am that, or translated into Sanskrit, 'Tat Tvam Asi'.

Why can't we remember then! The Buddha supplies a clue, you see, in some traditions of Buddhism, Nirvana and Samsara are the same thing. In English this just means that you and I are in the God-head, right now! The only reason that we cannot see this is that a thick blanket has been placed over our eyes. This blanket syndrome is called 'avidya'. Avidya blankets are thicker on some people than on others, enlightenment is when the curtain is lifted, and you can see what is being the great veil, just like Dorothy saw behind in the Wizard of Oz's curtain. Thick people then, are in avidya and so this is why that bloke you know down the road is a bit thick; because he is blinded by the veil of ignorance.

I have introduced necessary jargon in here and specialists will be angry that I am mixing my jargon like an inexperienced kid mixes his drinks. So ' Tat Tvam Asi is from the Hindu Adviata tradition and 'avidya' and 'thick blankets' are obviously from the Buddhist tradition. However, Adviata and Mahayana are to my mind very similar, because both founders probably arm wrestled each other in person, they lived in the same time is what I mean and we are not dogmatic ideologues and so we can use both concepts of emptiness, God Almighty and blankets, and even though mixing is an unwise move, it is still fun. Therefore, so the ideologues do not get so mad, I have coined the term Brahma O Mamma Matrix, to avoid the foot stamping.

So this Brahma O Mamma Matrix is my wording for the ancient doctrine of Tat-Tvam-Asi, or as I call it, the Brahma O Mamma Matrix. What is 'that'? God! Lunacy? Maybe. I'm sure that to Western ears, you being God Almighty sounds like lunacy, but to the holy men of the East, and a few ancient Greeks, we are all God Almighty. If you cannot accept your spark of divinity, then tell me; is this not a better way of seeing yourself? What other way is there, now that the God above, who hung the stars like lamps in heaven, is dead? You being God Almighty sure beats the sh't out of the Douglas Adams' rubbish universe and you being The Almighty is a far more sophisticated an idea than the other guy being God Almighty, the man, the boss, the God out there in the material world. Before all that, you stand. It is only that they have told you are otherwise, that your life capsizes and then life becomes a problem. By radically accepting, you can think that you are God Almighty, just for a minute, rather than the other guy thinking you are not. The other guy feeds off your fears and your desires, so don't (overly) desire and don't fear, observe your surroundings; the guy is not in the room with you now. Your body is always present, your mind is not. Your mind is somewhere else. Take back your mind!

Jesus said "behold, the Kingdom of God is within you" (Luke, 17-21).

You are God Almighty and you being that is not a confession of lunacy; we mean something before lunacy. This book is not about lunacy; thank God, instead, like Timothy Leary and many others, it will break open your head, to reach the God inside; an optimistic viewpoint if there ever was one.

People may ask, why is this God Almighty silliness a more sophisticated idea than the other God almighty silliness? The reason being is simple; the Abrahamic view of God falls into puerile monotheism very easily. There is an old man in the sky, apparently, who, to use Milton's term, guides the flight of every atom and the fall of every leaf. A child of nine can knock that one over; someone go fetch a child of nine! This is silly, not only is this idea a pathetic weaker sister to Richard Dawkins' version of how things operate, but the idea of a personal God, handing out laws like candy, infantilises the individual, making us all docile, to bleed away the heart and to hollow out head; leaving a sheep in the place of God. The majority of our brothers and sisters follow this silliness and this silly idea is the ammunition that is fattening Richard Dawkins' already fat bank account. Let us fatten our skinny bank accounts instead!

The other idea of God, the Brama O Mamma Matrix idea, is less easy to knock over because it puts you back in the cockpit of life, where life is no longer a problem, and it is by far the more sophisticated of the contenders to ontology. You being God Almighty is especially good at breaking the shackles of reductionist science and the cult of technology; indeed, Eastern wisdom guided Erwin Schrodinger and Albert Einstein, out of reductionist materialism and all right thinking people go for this clever idea. No wonder Erwin Schrodinger would finish his lectures by declaring his divinity to that bemused Christian audience! This is the doctrine of 'tan tvam asi, or 'I am that', lunacy, maybe, but in the East, we are all God Almighty.

Before we go on, I would like to insert a quick caveat, concerning my use of an ancient Vedic Indian word. Timothy Leary was once accused of elitism because Tat Tvam Asi originated in elitist India, however, he was not promoting a new cult of elitism, because the all in one doctrine can be uploaded into our modern cybernetic language to mean that all sentient beings are plugged into the Brahma O Mamma Matrix, and so we are all the God-Head, all of the time; just like we are all connected to the internet, all of the time. Sure, there are millions online with different intellects and different personalities, but this doesn't exclude the truth that we are all God Almighty. Now, historically, the priest caste was able to pull the wool over the eyes of the many, to claim that only they themselves had access to the truth and, in later Vedic history, the Brahmin caste anointed themselves as lords of the clouds. It is harder to trick the many today; though they are still trying!

The argument for the Brahmin monopoly was that there was a downside to the God behind your eyelids business (Tat Tvam Asi); this is the fact that only the smartest can peel away the cobwebs of this world to grasp what is meant. It was argued that that the philosophical lightness of tat Tat Tvam Asi won't float to the surface with the majority of the world. The communication of ideas, the Brahmin's argued, requires a similitude of thought and language: the lightness of Tat Tvam Asi can only be held in the head of the sophisticate, as the discourse of a philosopher would vibrate without effect on the ear of the peasant. It is true that the Upanishads are full of beautiful parables that argue at the miniscule nature of the human intellect, when compared with an infinite mind. Even the intellect of the genius can only comprehend a mere drop from the ocean. Better then, that the majority are fed the man in the sky version of God or to slavishly follow leaders; as historically, they have always done so and always will. Let them have monotheism, if you like.

Monotheism is Tat Tvam Asi for the masses, they argue, because it requires faith rather over thinking and a preference for entropy over living. What is monotheism? With the crackling of whips, the gnashing of teeth and the laying on of hands, monotheism is the automatic for the people version of spiritualism; yes, and sadly, it is the messy business of civilisation that this is the case and the messiness is the reason why the lightness of Tat-Tvam-Asi will never float above the flotsam of humanity. This was the old argument and this was the script and I think you would agree that it was a very gloomy script. This pessimism has little place in our time because, like I motioned just above, the Brahma O Mamma Matrix I within all of us and so we should be optimistic about being God.

Here is another reason to be optimistic, and it doesn't involve lunacy or mental gymnastics, like standing on your head for a dozen years. We said above that the kingdom is within, or that we are all connected to the Brahma O Mamma Matrix. This means that we don't need to seek purpose outside of ourselves. This is a good start and this goodness can be our standing ground, for now. Now when you turn off the lights at night and slumber in the kingdom, rather than in the electric box of scientific ontology, you can feel better for being in the world.

You see, the philosopher of science, Robert Anton Wilson, said that we only really have two choices when we get out of bed in the morning. We can choose to be pessimists or we can choose to be optimists; there is no third way. It truly is that simple, it really is, but most people don't get it because thay are so bogged down in their life situation, they become what they experience; a dark cloud replaces the sunshine for these people, and they end up believing that the storm is reality and the cleverer ones even become nihilistic in character. Lost souls always choose pessimism and the more rational choose nihilism, all of the time. Wilson, on the other hand, chose babbling optimism, all of the time and so shall I. Optimism is the best way of seeing the world because we do have a choice, which is the point, isn't it?

So this is why I am choosing optimism and I would rather write about being God Almighty than the trendier, and easier, moaning about materialism and science and the darkening of colour that these ontologies cause in our lives, and, to add to this moaning, also the way intelligent people choose a nihilists picture, instead recognising the God inside; you get the picture, I hope. I am not belittling the nihilists because, well if we are honest, most people see the world as a machinery of hell, with little purpose but to war, die and to ruin even that!

I once suffered from insomnia for years and this twilight state of mind revealed the monstrous nature of everything and thus laid the emotional and philosophical foundation for my exquisite rambling on the God inside; and so would you, if you couldn't sleep.

Most insomniacs never get past the hurdle and so they become nihilists. They say that the monstrosity of existence is a reflection of something deeper. They say it is truer to the human condition to write about the black. To clap about optimism, like a clapping seal, or getting all wet and hot over science, like a silly schoolgirl, is not the way to live. SO nihilism is a useful tool to see behind the curtain of idiocy This is true. However, rather than inviting nihilism, the strangest of strange guests at our door, we can hitch a ride of the Brahma O Mamma Matrix instead.

The optimistic world view will never deliver on the promise, so say the nihilists. The darkening of colour that optimism causes in our lives only adds to our despair. Work for that mortgage and you work on your mausoleum. Intelligent people choose optimism instead of recognising the fragile foundation inside.

I too once saw the world as a machinery of hell, and the person, limited in time and space, a gasp of pain between birth and death; can never be happy in hell. Our world is a big cruel mistress with a whip; the conditions of her arising make happiness impossible. Life is fragile and insecure, with little purpose but to be born, gasp and die. But what of salvation?

The shattered God still dwells in the ruins; but He is a ghost who is never to be taken seriously again because no one believes in him anymore, like Father Christmas, a skeleton of stones amongst the ruins of the world. History confirms the evil, so say those who preach the Cogito Ergo Glum philosophy, and science argues that we are all empty space anyway, or biological robots and, to paraphrase Marc Antony, optimists have neither the wit, nor the words, or action, nor utterance, nor the power of speech, to stir men's blood. Choose nihilism, she is full of meaning. Life has no meaning. Wow!

This is why I try to respect the position of these realists and I cannot get through to them anyway, and if I did try, my efforts would get me tainted with the Oprah Winfrey brush; a canvas populated by charlatans and seers. Herman Hesse, the mystically inclined novelist, said that the average person "prefers comfort to pleasure, convenience to liberty, and a pleasant temperature to the deathly inner consuming fire." In other words, the average person prefers pre-packaged TV dinner spiritualism, from the shelves of the spiritual supermarket. The safe, decaffeinated, spiritual supermarket is a feeding ground for the theatricalities of the guru machine; this is bad. The guru machine is even worse than organised religion because, at least religion produced fancy architecture and J S Bach.

I will now quote a charlatan, who Leary admired but this doesn't mean Leary was one too (I think). But before I do that, I would like to make clear that when I criticise science, it is science as ontology that is meant. Scientific ontology is the idea that science is an all-encompassing behemoth, with its priests and popes, working towards the Omega point that will explain the meaning of life, in a few years from now. This is a fantasy. I am in no way criticising the scientific method. The scientific method is sound, obviously, and criticising that would be lunacy; rather, I am criticising scientific materialism; there is a huge difference. Simply put, what most people think of when they hear the word science, it the meaning of life bit, rather than a fancy tool for moving matter around. We can choose to think either version, because we can, you know, we have that choice. So back to the charlatan I mentioned above.

There is a grain of truth in the chicanery of the seers, otherwise, how do con artists prosper? All you need is a straight face and balls of steal. You wouldn't succeed if you adopt honesty and there is one particular seer, who may have been a charlatan but who also had a huge intellect and I like huge intellects. Genius' reach parts others cannot, you see. I have in mind the radical mystical drug addict, Aleister Crowley. Crowley once said that "We place no reliance on virgin or pigeon. Our method is science, our aim is religion." What could he mean? Well Crowley knew that science was a method, rather than ontology and so he thought that, one day, the method world open the gates to the occult world. Now fast forward 100 years or so and, to cut a long story short, chemistry, rather than quantum physics or genetic theory, has opened a slit into another place and so the escape from nihilism is a membrane away. Hurrah! Aleister Crowley wrote those lines decades ago, about science leading to the religion. Crowley was an occultist and would probably have used that word 'ocultism', if it rhymed in his poem. I prefer the word religion because the word means reverence or wonderment, rather than the Lord of the Rings trappings of `occult', with its images of pointy nosed gremlins and black wizards. The word occult is scary too.

The Brama O Mama Matrix is shielded away by from those without ears to hear and, as I shall explain below, the deaf are lost in the aisles of the spiritual supermarket and they will not be open to the good news; they are Oprah's children, rather than free spirits, and Oprahism, being Oprah Winfrey's cash cow, is also Tat Tvam Asi for the masses, we will leave them to one side for now. What I shall write about is the truer, more sparkler antidote to our spiritually broken lives; an antidote that doesn't involve self-help fads or a shrinking bank balance. The feeling of immediate awareness is more important than reading books and believing experts and so I shall begin from here; rather than over there. Over there is abstraction and unconformable rumour. Starting from here means we'll explore the God within, a true experience, by the way, it only needs to be articulated first. Luckily for us, it has been articulated and this is why I write!

Before we proceed however, I will like to make one thing clear. Timothy Leary avoids the type of academic back-woodsman ship that demands only cautionary and balanced statements, every statement backed by a footnote. Instead, he gives a free-wheeling vent to his opinions and judgements, and so shall I. I have chosen this style because Tim showed me this style, in his style, and I suppose that the baton has been passed from generation to generation, throughout the ages. This is for my sanity, and hopefully, yours too and so I make no apologies for many passages being in the style of a polemic, because the polemic is a form of therapy, my therapy, and the higher therapy is something we should all aspire to. This sort of therapy, I hope, will benefit the reader and reach the parts Simon Cowell and Oprah cannot reach. This is why I picked up this old Indo-European idea of `Tat Tvam Asi, not just because it sounds good, but, as I mentioned above, most mystics came to this idea independently of each other, throughout history, and chemistry now allows a verification of this ancient Vedic philosophy. Not only does Tat-Tvam-Asi come with less baggage, it is full of meaning, God and science have little meaning. The word God shuts down the mind, meaning cannot do this; meaning opens the mind, to the spiritual.

Timothy Leary's ideas will make you feel better about being here; they really will. Special relativity won't do this to you and neither will Barak Obama. This is the higher happiness, not in a Prozac way, but in a concrete way. People mix up happiness with euphoria, but euphoria is canned happiness; concrete happiness is the real happiness because it lays foundations that stick like cement. Once the teaching sticks, it sticks forever, you see. Prozac won't get you there and neither will book buying or watching the Discovery Channel; only experience will get you to the place; experience, you already know, is the opposite to reading or believing in experts or leaders. Have you ever met an expert or have you ever been made happy by reading a book, but happiness that sticks? Even science, the mete-theory of our age, the theory that they promised would have us living in luxury condos on the Moon by the year 2000, fails to light the way and touch the human condition, because it is not a direct experience. Science as God isn't therapeutic because it will never creat purpose in your life; it will drain purpose instead. Most people read popular scienctific magazines just to kill boredom, I know I did! Genes and atoms and quasar this and Higgs particles that; these ideas leave little room for questions like; what is life all about? Look at it this way, in ignoring the inner God, scientific ontology is offering a death wish, but in high definition, this is worse than you being God Almighty.

What I mean is, we can ponder God, LSD, and string theory and neutrinos and ghosts, without ever witnessing or experiencing these things. Who's ever seen a quark or a tensor equation of the third degree or a self transforming machine elf? I certainly haven't. Equations are not our experience and this is why we quickly forget that what we have been told, because all we ever know is our own experience. These questions pre-date narcissism anyway and, as I shall explain below, smarter people have trodden this path. I only stumbled upon this path by ignoring the never-ending chatter of tongues and swords and the crackling of flames bellowing out of the organs of mass culture. Instead, I took the advice of Socrates and accepted that I knew nothing; this is when the real wisdom begins.

Moises Pittounikos, author Psychedelic Buddha's: Psychedelic Spirit: Notes on Mushrooms, DMT, Spirituality and the Possible Post Death State
33 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 September 2003
This is an incredably interesting read. The works and research of Learey is ground breaking and many of his points and arguements are fascinating. It is a complelling read, although those among the less interlectual readers(myself included) may find parts hard going. I do however find Tim Learey occasionally verging on pretentious and very ready to promote himself and his actions as well as providing his strong opinion. his book does still provide a very unpublisised and in many cases unpopular view in regard to the religious & recreational use of drugs, but also gives very sensible and fresh advice on avoiding a 'bad trip'
on 14 February 2013
An exciting look inside the world of the use of LSD. McLeary takes it too far and as we now know, the abuse or so 'religious' or 'scientific' use of LSD can be highly damaging. Fun to read, very curious suggestions ... Open mind needed.
on 22 February 2016
Timothy Leary was a genius. Very helpful for anyone struggling to understand what it is that they believe and the extent of truth behind it. Would recommend going in with a open mind and not trying to break everything down just because you can.
on 19 June 2012
The book isn't what I thought it would be about, I guess I ought to have done my homework properly.

But just so that it's clear to anyone else who is considering buying this book.. it's about drugs and 'prepping' for their use.
The book is now in my bin.
44 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 March 2015
Great product, well described, quickly dispatched.