Customer reviews

on 30 December 2016
deep south
deep joy
5 stunning CDs
if you like rhythm and blues Stones et al this good ol boy has it all
plays all sorts of instruments as a virtuoso and has his own voice
give it some attention and enjoy
I first saw the old great blues rocker Johnny Winter and.. at the Hull City Hall back in the 1970s.
We went at the last minute and my mate Terry had bought the last tickets on sale which were the most expensive balcony seats, right at the side of the stage, rather than the cheaper stalls at the back...

BUT good fortune smiled on us that day for the clerk gave Terry 3 tickets by mistake.
So two guys 3 tickets and who should just walk up at that moment but our best mate Rob with his cheapest stall ticket.
Would Rob like to join us in the best seats?
"Is Peter Green a good guitarist?"....

Terry and I sold Rob's Ticket to a very pleased guy who was unlucky to arrive late at a sold out concert.

Despite the fact that we had become Ticket Touts we did not charge the guy extra but charged him at face value and split the cash between Terry and myself. ( Rob had the benefit of a finer seat so he was pleased!!)
#
We were rewarded with a fabulous concert with the support a Peter Gabriel led Genisis!!!

Great Concert.

The Support was Genesis complete with Pete Gabriel!
Genesis really impressed but Johnny Winter with his backing group the ex McCoys were excellent. Rick Derringer was outstanding.

After seeing Johnny I got the next best thing the LP Johnny Winter live and a big Pace poster of him with a flying V guitar because it was in the sale!
Money was tight then!
Now to the CDs
Of interest is that Second Winter was originally a 3 side 2 LP set!
Yes they did crazy things like that then. But you have to remember LPs were often very short affairs indeed back then some did not even register 33 minutes in total and you had to turn the things over half way through.

Thought the track listings would be of help so I've included them.

(Post script at the time of writing there was no tracks listed so I provided them.
Amazon seem to have got their act together and finally listed them.
A few people have written negative comments about this but they do not realaise that when I wrote this the tracks were absent.)

I have included the original times and would urge you to read my co reviewer Mark Barry's review.

"Johnny Winter" (34:14 minutes)
1. I'm Yours and I'm Hers
6. Good Morning Little School Girl
7. When You Got a Good Friend
8. I'll Drown My Own Tears
9. Back Door Friend
"Second Winter" (46:57 minutes)
1. Memory Pain
8. I Love Everybody
9. Hustled Down in Texas
10. I Hate Everybody
11. Fast Life Rider

"Live/Johnny Winter And" (40:12 minutes)
1. Good Morning Little School Girl
2. It's My Own Fault
3. Jumpin' Jack Flash
4. Rock 'n' Roll Medley
5. Mean Town Blues
6. Johnny B. Goode

"Still Alive And Well" (44:32 minutes)
(This includes the 2 extra bonus tracks 11 and 12 so is especially good value)
1. Rock Me Baby
11. Lucille
12. From a Buick Six

Saints & Sinners"
(41:48 minutes)
This includes the extra track 11 (so again great value)
1. Stone County
12. Spurn Point Blues.
on 7 August 2014
grate cd by the late Johnny Winter not
on 21 May 2015
Outstanding value. There is some classic rock blues on this collection of albums, which includes a live gig. You can't beat this collections for value. JW was an outstanding guitar player.
on 5 March 2013
I bought this mainly for "Johnny Winter And" which I've had on vinyl since Time Immemorial - well not quite that long, phonographs only having been invented in the nineteenth century - the other CDs were an informed pleasant bonus. Actually I bought the other one first to get "Second Winter" which contains, in my opinion at least, the best ever cover of a Dylan song - be careful if you listen to it whilst driving. I'm sure you realise by now that I'm a fan, but it's worth getting the Edgar Winter set too. At these prices you can't be robbed and remember Johnny may not be the best white blues guitarist {he's one of them} , but he's definitely the whitest.
on 3 May 2016
Saw him play in his later days. Great guitar player, nice aldums. Especially the live album.
on 3 February 2015
REISSUE VERY GOOD AND ECONOMIC
on 9 December 2014
Awesome guitarist great price
on 21 April 2014
One cd I particularly like is nothin but the blues brilliant!
And the rest wasn't bad either. Good value box set.
on 16 September 2014
Delivers what it says on the tin: guitar driven blues