Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 31 October 2012
Finally a horror film that packs a punch and delivers on the hype.

Sinister is a very unsettling, disturbing and scary film.

From the very opening shot you know this film is going to be a ride. I found certain sequences in the movie extremely disturbing and some images were burned onto my subconscious memory long after the film had finished. This is a true horror film in the sense that there are a few jump scares but it does not rely on them which is refreshing and it is not a total gore-fest. It balances the two very well and delivers a very tense atmosphere with some harrowing images.

Ethan Hawke is good, he carries the film confidently as he delivers a very convincing performance. I happily watched him for the entire duration of the film and didn't find myself taken out of the film due to bad acting, which is rare in horror films nowadays.

The Blu Ray is good. Sharp images and some great moments for the surround sound. Not much to add.

This film successfully mixes the POV "Found Footage" style horror with the traditional narrative. Fans of the found footage genre will enjoy this but more importantly those who aren't fans of the genre might find this style works better for them as it blends both styles effectively.

I regard myself as a very hardened horror viewer and I am not easily scared...
When I got home after the cinema, I was spooked. I found myself closing my blinds and turning on all the lights.

Fresh horror, not exactly breaking new ground but it's a welcome change.
Not a particularly pleasant viewing, Sinister accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do.

Good, solid horror film.

7/10
on 3 November 2013
Sinister is a well written and acted film from start to finish, which does not go for gross-out horror but good old build ups of suspense and scares, crafting an almost dark perpetual, yep - 'sinister' atmosphere throughout. Add some very creepy sound effects and music, and what you have is one of the best 'scare' movies for sometime. If you are watching on your own late at night be ready for a very sinister investigation into some very gruesome murders and be prepared for some very nerve-shredding scares throughout!
VINE VOICEon 21 February 2013
Sinister tells the story of a crime writer who moves his family into a house that turns out to be the scene of a brutal murder of the previous family. The locals including the sherriff don't want them there and it soon becomes clear that there is something very wrong with the house and an evil sinister prescence is lurking. A slow but tense and creepy build up, excellent performances especially from Ethan Hawke in the lead role builds up into a genuinely terrifying film and an instant horror classic.
on 31 July 2013
As a life long horror fan I am always searching for something that creeps me out. I am not into gratuitous blood and gore or over the top violence but really enjoy a genuinely creepy film.
I received two films for my recent birthday, this one and 'The Cabin In The Woods' which I watched first and thought was a load of tosh! After being disappointed with the first film, I put 'Sinister' in the player with an open mind, not expecting too much. This is probably the best way to view a film as hype usually leads to disappointment.
I have found that since starting a family I am not to comfortable with films involving children being harmed. My partner feels the same and bailed out after about 20 minutes, but I stuck with it and it turned out to be a really good and genuinely scary story, well acted all round and very well shot.
I wont go further into the plot but if you like films such as 'Stir of Echoes', 'Dead End', 'Session 9', 'Insidious', Paranormal Activity', 'Case 39' to name a few of my favorites then give this one a go. I will defiantly be keeping it for the collection, unlike 'Cabin in the Woods' which is heading for the charity shop!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 December 2015
Finally a great new horror movie and the creation of a true horror character! It's been a long time since there was any original horror movie but this is up there, is it a little bit slow at times? Yes to somer. But I felt the tone of the movie is fantastic, a family with issues, a character with his problems and all this works to make you think.

The acting throughout is good, Ethan hawke does well at showing the character progress deeper and darker as the movie goes. It provided us with a few jumps and unexpected moments which we thoroughly enjoyed.
on 2 February 2013
This film is about a family who move into a house where it has a terrifying past, the father is a writer and wants to report on the unexplained mystery of a child who went missing and the rest of the family being brutally murdered.
When moving in he discovers an old projector with films of brutal murders and starts to research into the truth of what is really been happening but the truth is far more sinister than he realises.
This is not your ordinary mind numbing horror this film has depth and keeps you on the edge of the seat throughout, people may think yeah same old story family move into house, strange things happen bla bla bla, this film has so much more that that and has a great twist.
I love this film it has everything a horror needs and without a doubt would be in my top ten horror films ever seen.
on 14 October 2012
If you enjoyed Insidious, then you will definitely like Sinister. It is extremely scary and a well delivered piece of supernatural horror film. The cinema hall was packed. There were scary expressions on faces. The film shows plenty of terrifying and edge of the seat moments. The contents are graphical. It is about a family, who move in a new house. This house unfolds a haunted past. The house once belonged to a family who were abducted and murdered. One of the members is reported missing. Crime writer Ellison (Ethan Hawke) uses the events as the main material in the latest novel. He put his job before the family. The family lives are at risk. The author gets to the bottom of the matter. This could make or break his career as an author.

Sinister contains a mixture of psychological and horrifying moments. The first hour builds up the plot. A picture emerges of the scale and nature of the murdered family through camera footage in the attic viewed by the author and talking to experts. The images are extremely disturbing and scary. The second hour features a chain of events in the house. This includes ghostly images and creepy noises in the house. These moments keep you on the edge. Does it solve the mystery surrounding the horrific murders? The dark atmosphere and isolated surroundings create a strong impact in the film. The characters are quite well developed. The film gives you an insight of a crime writer and how the career can impact on family life. This adds depth to the film.

The quality of horror films have shown remarkable improvements in terms of ideas. Sinister joins the list. It creates a cinematic experience to enjoy and keep you glued to the screen, as you never know what to expect. It is cleverly directed. The tone is swiftly set, without delays in the opening sequences. I enjoyed Sinister. If you like supernatural horror films, then I would recommend watching Sinister. It is a good example of what a supernatural horror film should entail and profoundly achieve with the audience.
on 31 July 2016
A word of warning don't watch this late at night and on your own other wise your nerves will be torn to shreds .
Many modern horror films have relied on blood and guts with very little story and usually unknown bad actors who go round screaming and going upstairs or in cellars when common sense says don't ,not so Sinister the acting is superb Ethan Hawke is on screen most of the time and holds the film together and you do not get bored as you follow him unravelling the movie clips he finds, that's all I will say about the story needless to say it has moments of sheer terror
If you have surround sound be prepared for sounds coming from every speaker and don't hold any hot drinks as when you jump and I say ''When not If ''you could quite easily scold your self .
To sum up a rare genuinely scary film with excellent acting from all taking part not to be missed and at around three pounds why should you
Sinister is a creepy horror film but to be honest with you it could of been so much more better.

For me the soundtrack has been one of the most haunting I have ever heard, it was so spooky, and Ethan Hawke was quality in his role, and I loved the sinister video footage, and you could say I was looking forward to the outcome, but the ending was a big let down and i was hoping for better, all I remember thinking, is that it?.

The Blu-ray was very nice it gets a 4/5, plus the surround sound was awesome which made the film scary.
on 3 June 2016
One of the better horror movies. I wonder sometimes if people watch this on their phone, or a tablet...some films need the amazing technology we have available in reproducing the sound track and effects which the engineers put a lot of hard work into placing it alongside a movie like this. It makes an amazing difference, and yes I'm lucky enough to have a super set up..and quite a few second rate films can be pushed up a notch by the background effects.. I thought the plot was good, the acting was good, and I would recommend this film ...turn it up..