Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£2.49

on 14 November 2012
A very good CD. Loved listening to the music on it. This was an excellent purchase. I would recommend this as a very good buy.
The Boys are back and on top form if this four-track CD is anything to go by. The title track is an uplifting anthem shamelessly written for the 2012 Olympic Games, while second track 'A Certain 'Je ne sais quoi'' is a thumping disco belter in timeless Pet Shop Boys fashion. Track 3 'The Way Through the Woods' is a breathy slow-burning epic, and final song 'I Started a Joke' wraps things up in fine wistful style,
on 5 November 2012
Dreadful 'Jolly' Eurovisioneque nonsense... only saving grace is the b-side ' a certain je ne sais pas' otherwise forget it, worse single of their career, but given lots of 5 star reviews here by their fans, who would rate a burp from either one of them five star. A joke. So good it got to No. 86.... for a week
on 8 August 2012
A fantastic lead single from the forthcoming Elysium album. Melodic and uplifting, the track builds on a pulsating synth backing-track until a crescendo of rock guitar and strings herald the hook-laden chorus. Sadly Radio 1's ageist playlist policy will prevent this single getting the exposure needed to be a big summer hit, but a breath of fresh air none the less.

For those unimpressed by the lead single, I strongly recommend the 3 "b-sides", which, it could be strongly argued, are as good, if not better than the actual single. Varying from the sneering Oasis-like "A Certain Je Ne Sais Quois" to the beautifully haunting "The Way Through the Woods" to the charming Bee Gees cover "I Started a Joke", this release has something for everyone.
on 14 October 2012
Fantastic single from the Pet Shop Boys which was the unnofficial anthem for the olympics and paralympics despite actually being written about the eurovision song contest the song sums up the feel good factor the olympics gave the whole country.
on 6 August 2012
Bit of a shame so many seem to not like Winner but I love it, yes I am a fan of over 20 years etc...
The b-sides are good, but are just that and no more, still a great taster to hopefully another fantastic album, I cant wait.
on 2 September 2012
Good, full consistent albums are wonderful but just as enjoyable can be amazing ep's...this is one of them.

Je ne (...hereafter tracks 1 2 3 and 4)/track 2 is an amazing song and right now I seem really amused with how Neil twists around to make 'detour' rhyme with 'demure'....it's a feel-good going out kinda track....reminds me of Heart of Glass.

Track 3 is amazing me just as much as 2 but in a totally different sort of way/a Kipling poem in a classical/theatre ditty starts out all bleepy, dark and Euro like an instrumental b-side from DM's A Broken Frame...I see Peter and the Wolf.? Then when you think it's all been enough you forget about the poem and are lured in with a beautiful vocal/strings section and, again just when you think that must surely be it it changes again - a wonderful synth high-hat and dark heavy beat - then the parts all piggy-back on each other - wonderful.

Track 4 - I'm usually not a fan of cover versions - yeah, it's a new guilty pleasure...not as good as My Girl but very good.

The vocals seem really good on this ep...I've heard snippets of the album and that may take a while to grow on me. I'm awaiting the next ep.
on 3 December 2012
It seems that the Pet Shop Boys got caught up in Olympic hysteria this year as evidenced by this song. I was surprised that it was just worthy of a Bronze medal.
on 17 October 2012
I love this disc. All 4 tracks are good but all so different. I liked Winner when I saw it performed on TV at the Olympic parade. My favourite is - A certain "Je ne sais Quoi"
on 6 August 2012
This is the first time I've not rushed out and bought the physical CD on release day and I won't be bothering anytime soon. Winner is truly dreadful. This is worth the cheap download for the other tracks which are acceptable.
A very disappointed fan!
44 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse