Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 20 January 2013
I have long been an admirer of Rohert Daws' work as an actor and when his book appeared as a recommended read on my Kindle I knew I would be in for a treat, particulary as it was a police/crime novel, one of my favourite genres.

The book is short but don't let this put you off because it starts off at a cracking pace and never falters. I found myself reading it whilst waiting for the dinner to cook, in the car if I was early for an appoointment, even whilst waiting for my hair straighteners to heat up and way, way past my bedtime. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I found all the characters believable and warmed to Detective Sargeant Tamara Sullivan, a fiesty UK police officer on secondment to Gibralter following a professional misdemeanour.

The ending surprised me, which is what I like in a crime novel and the descriptions of the British Territory of Gibraltar sold it to me as a holiday destination and I look forward to going in June.

I do recommend this book, it's easy to read and hence easy to pick up anywhere, a realy good oldfashioned "whodunit". It ticked all the boxes for me. Thank you Robert and I hope we will meet Sullivan and Broderick again in the not too distant future.
on 10 October 2012
Bought this book as my first e-book purchase. It had me glued from start to finish and have since read it several more times. Can't wait to buy the paper back version. Absolutely fantastic! Well done & can't wait for the next one :)
on 9 September 2012
Really enjoyed this book, not a long read but kept me glued from beginning to end also the end came as a surprise. wasn't expecting much from it so was pleasantly surprised, only disapointed that there isn't a series leading from this.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 October 2012
This book is basically your bulk standard formulaic Police Procedural. It ticks pretty much all of the usual boxes for the genre. That said, it is a good example of it!
Good characters & description with an interesting story all drawn together with neat writing.
I don't know if it is my preconception, knowing the author is himself a TV actor, but the writing and indeed the length of the novel did come across to me to be a little episodic and I did wonder if that was a factor in the style the author chose. That said, I personally think that it would work as a TV program/series!

All that aside, did I enjoy the book? Yes. Would I read another similar book by this author? Again yes.
on 29 June 2015
I was drawn to this fast moving detective story, by actor and writer Robert Daws, because it reminded me of the old house in Gibraltar where my parents lived many years ago, but it will appeal to anyone who enjoys trying to solve a murder mystery alongside a bold heroine.

Detective Sergeant Tamara Sullivan has been seconded from the Metropolitan Police force in London to what she imagines will be a quiet, rather boring time working in Gibraltar, but she soon finds that despite the relaxed attitude of some of her colleagues, serious crimes are being committed within Gibraltar’s narrow streets.

Tamara is a well-drawn character whom we soon get to know but her boss Chief inspector Broderick is more of an enigma. Robert Daws obviously know the rock intimately so we soon feel ourselves familiar with the geography of the setting.

This is not a long novel but all the ingredients are present for an enjoyable read, trying to solve the crimes a step before the detectives. Tamara’s independent and slightly reckless behaviour may lead her into trouble again which increase the suspense effectively.

I am looking forward to the next investigation by Sullivan and Broderick which is promised this year.
on 12 March 2013
I really enjoyed reading this. It found myself whisked away from a cold, grey English day, to bask in the sun of Gibraltar. The plot was good and everything came together well at the end tying up any loose ends. With good back stories for the characters already emerging I'm looking forward to reading the next Sullivan and Broderick novel.
on 24 August 2012
Short, snappy and fast-paced, this crime novel set in Gibraltar has a post-feminist protagonist and some nicely flawed heroes. It's tightly and cleverly plotted and zips along to a satisfying climax. It would benefit from a proof edit.
on 21 August 2016
I was hooked from the start until the final word and I am looking forward to September and the next book. Well drawn characters plenty of action lead to a very enjoyable read.Robert Daws has found himself an excellent second career
on 16 September 2013
My fault - I downloaded this book without checking the length - it was only 151 pages. If I had paid for it, I would have been miffed as I read it in 2 hours. The story just seemed to be getting into its stride when it finished! Disappointing, as it was well written.
The book is set on Gibraltar but I felt the author didn't make good use of that and it could have been anywhere in the UK. A woman is murdered in 1966 and then the book jumps to the present day where 2 policemen (partners) supposedly both committed suicide. Obviously they had been murdered, but Broderick's boss seems to have difficulty believing this. It took a few chapters to get into the book but then it was o.k.
I was disappointed that the characters were not filled out more - which a longer book could have done. I thought we would learn more about C.I. Broderick's Downs Syndrome daughter and his home life, but it was a few paragraphs and nothing more.
I see more books are planned (or perhaps already published) using these characters, but I would have been more interested in reading them if the first book had developed them more. An o.k. read if you like short stories.
on 15 September 2013
This was a decent enough "police officer does wrong so is sent to another locale" story. The story flows well, and even though the crimes are murder, they weren't gory. They were more like Midsomer Murders or Death in Paradise type.