TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 December 2013
Having never read Alexandra Brown and seeing the good reviews for this book I was looking forward to getting stuck in. The lovely thing about this book was it was only a mere few pages before I got to know Georgie Hart and very quickly, adore her! Georgie hasn't had an easy upbringing and from the very early stages there are hints about her past without the reader actually finding out what it is that had happened until further in.

Carrington's Department store was described brilliantly and pretty soon I could just imagine myself shopping in a place like that. Along with Georgie are her co-workers one of who, (Sam) is her best friend. There are also additional characters that all add to the story as Carrington's is graced with a new boss Maxine. I immediately loathed her and as all the staff are told what they need to do to save their jobs, you can just feel that her presence is the thing to make people crack.

I particularly liked Georgie's friend Sam who owns the face on the 5th floor at Carrington's, as well as Eddie who is the MD's assistant. The storyline itself was interesting because not only do we get to see a number of threads, we get to see what the scheming Maxine is up to. I think the second half of the book flew by a lot quicker than the first half, and by the end I was disappointed that it was nearly finished. On the plus side, it means I can move onto book 2 which is entitled Christmas at Carrington's and was released in December 2013.
on 3 November 2013
Review: cupcakes and a department store, what could be wrong with that? Throw in the amount of designer handbags in this novel and a sumptuous love story and the answer is absolutely nothing. Cupcakes at Carrington's has the perfect formula for any chick-lit lover, and indeed anyone who has every shopped in a department store. I knew I was going to love this book as soon as I picked it up, I'm not sure why i waited so long to read it to be honest. I love books about shops and this debut reminded me of Ali Harris's debut which i also loved!

Georgie is a fabulous female lead. The thing that I really loved about her character was that she had a past, and she had some problems with debt. I felt I could really relate to her as a woman and felt i trusted her more because of her past. Now she did seem to have trust issues when it came to men, which i also loved bu ti did find msyelf shouting at the book at times, willing her not to be so silly and just go for it with him! There are some really strong supporting characters in this book too which i am sure all readers will enjoy. I loved best-friend Sam and was willing her to have a happy ending right from the start just as much as i was Georgie. I also loved GBF Eddie and Georgie's assistant Annie, these were larger than life characters which we all know we have found in a department store. Maxine reminded me of Miranda Priestly from Devil Wears Prada all the way through, I thought that she was a fabulous addition to the novel!

The storyline was nice and simple and totally realistic, a store taking drastic measures during this recession era. It fitted in really well with the programmes that have been on recently about department stores and also follows other books which have chosen to tackle the financial issues within the retail industry head on. I really respect this author for dealing with thees issues. Of course because the book is set in a department store, there is plenty of mention of handbags and i found myself totally wanting to go home and stroke all my lovely bags. I think I'm definitely in the market for a new designer goody now! The cupcakes in the cafe also sounded delicious so make sure you have plenty of sweet treats to hand when you're reading this one!

There is something for everyone in this book, definitely a chick-lit classic in the making. It was a very quick read and not difficult to get into right from the word go. This is definitely something to read in preparation for the release of the Christmas sequel, a perfect combination!
on 9 January 2014
I give Cupcakes at Carringtons * * * * stars.

I found Cupcakes to be a fantastic, immensely enjoyable read. Such a fabulous debut for Alexandra, surely she must be in reality, Georgie herself?!

This book is set in Carrington's, the high quality Department Store where the main character Georgie has worked for years. Georgie loves her job running the luxury handbag concession in Carrington's, where her gay best friend Eddie and her best friend Sam also work. Sam runs the Carrinton's Cafe, where Georgie & the staff spend an awful lot of time discussing events and eating deliciously tempting cupcakes! It truly feels like the hub of Carrington's, and gossip central for the staff.

Carrington's is very special to Georgie - she was brought up with memories of visiting regularly with her late mother and in the present day, it's her home from home with her best friends and the daily gossip that surround the store. It's these strong bonds that keep the story flowing and the reader hooked.

You find many twists and turns for the various characters through the book, each one interesting, captivating and leaving you gasping for more as every page turns! As in reality, we don't like every one we meet... but so descriptive is Alexandra's prose that love them or hate them, we want to live in their world and we are addicted to finding out their fate. We are also left feeling slightly envious of Georgie's choice of delectable men, Tom and James - all I can voice about those two is `Yuummm...' ;)

The writing transports you into the store with it's glamour, luxury goods and exotic fragrances - along with the need to munch sweet, scrumptious cupcakes of course!

Overall a witty, vibrant, laugh out loud gem of a debut from Alexandra Brown and it doesn't end here! Brown has already released a shot story follow up called Me & Mr Carrington which is a prequel to Christmas at Carrington's! So if you loved Cupcakes, you can be transported to Carrington's again and again!
on 26 November 2013
I do love books set in and around shops, which is pretty weird seeing as I'm not a particularly avid shopper myself. There is something magical about an old fashioned department store though, how one moment you can be knee deep in toys and the next you're surrounded by a waft of pungent perfume that lingers for hours. Alexandra Brown obviously feels that the department store is a special place too, and this introduction to the Carrington's series is a humorous, fast paced rom-com of a book.

Maxine is perfect as the woman you love to hate, and I was completely bowled over by beautiful Tom. However, Cupcakes at Carrington's doesn't just rely on its big-hitters, some of the minor characters are also huge personalities which adds to the drama and high jinks. However, there are some serious subjects tackled amongst the humour, particularly in relation to issues within Georgie's family which give the book an additional layer of depth.

If you enjoy the Sophie Kinsella Shopaholic books or Carmen Reid's Annie Valentine series I'm sure you'll enjoy Cupcakes at Carrington's.
on 24 September 2017
A good book with a HEA. It does end on "to be continued", but the story is all wrapped up neatly, and book two is the next stage of the story. You could just read book one and not carry on with the story. It was a good read but I wasn't hooked. Although that could just have been because I'm ill and feel like crap lol!
on 5 March 2017
Lovely book and lovely story. I like reading Alex Brown books and have just started reading the Carrington series. Roll on the next one.
on 10 May 2017
Alexandra Brown's first volume of her 'Carrington's' trilogy is fun and enjoyable. It may not be a literary masterpiece, but it is an enjoyable read, full of fun and drama, with a lovely dollop of romance on the top. Perfect rainy-day or beach read.
on 22 June 2017
Surprised by how much I enjoyed this. Chic lit but not mushy. And the cupcakes helped 🍥
on 20 March 2017
wonderfull
on 28 April 2017
boring - gave up didn't finish