on 7 August 2013
I've never before read such a clear guide explaining how to cope with weight loss from an energetic point of view. I work as a therapist and although I haven't finished the plan yet the ideas within this book are wonderful. There are no recipes or food plans but she does advise you to eat whole, unprocessed food as much as possible. This book is for people who are sensitive and intuitive and tend to be very affected by people and situations around them.
on 22 August 2013
Doesnt seem to stay on one theme jumps back and too, Couldnt finish the book I am afraid, doesnt run as a theme
on 22 July 2015
Loved this, have used it and referred to it many times.
on 9 December 2013
Billed as a book about weight loss for Highly Sensitive Persons (HSPs), which I am, I thought this would be a great read. It both is and isn't. The first half of the book I got through very quickly, and then I got bored, as the book felt like it was just repeating itself.

There are some pointers for HSPs in general that are very good - like how you should learn to relax, for instance by using salt baths. But then it also says how you should have a 20-minute salt bath once a day. While I would never complain about having baths, because I happen to be rather fond of them, baths use a lot of water. If you're a HSP, you're probably already cautious of your water usage for environmental reasons, but even if you're not, your water bill should make you cautious about following this tip to the letter.

One thing that bothered me was that the author clearly has a dysfunctional relationship with food. If you have to instruct hotels to clear out the minibar for you before you arrive, lest you scoff it all, that's not a healthy relationship. I wholly sympathise with the sentiment of "if you don't have it at home, you don't have the temptation", but if I go to a hotel room, I'm not raiding the seriously overpriced minibar just because it's there.

So, for me, this book is a bit of hit and miss. Parts of it are brilliant, other parts are a bit strange, but each to their own, as they say. No doubt this book can help some overweight HSPs get a better feel for when food is food, and when food is just used to cover up feelings. If you're a fellow HSP, it's worth checking out and making up your own mind about it.

If you're NOT a HSP, odds are most of this book and its advice is going to feel like "LOL what?!", so you might want to skip this.
on 19 December 2016
I really enjoyed this book. Having tried various diets and failed I thought a lot of my problems were around the restrictiveness of syn/points counting (and eating chocolate). If I deny myself something then I just want it even more. I also find a lot of diets don't try and help you work out just why you over eat or fail at heavily marketed diet plans.

I don't think the book has all the answers and probably won;t suit everyone but I found that for the first time in a long time a health book made sense. It's actually not about dieting. It's about over eating and why we do it. It talks about how we let every day negativity and other people's drama affect us, then we go home (or to the shops) and just eat and eat until the pain goes away. I probably did that for many years while struggling with depression. I noticed my son do it the other day. After a bad session at work he came home and grabbed the xmas sweets. (Then put them back when I pointed out what I was learning from the book!)

It offers a very simple structure for trying to combat this:

Be kind - to others and yourself
Try some EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique- something I'm qualified in but never use)
Visualise a safer place than the one you are in
Simplify your life. Cut down (out?) on horrifying news stories and the incessant negative overload that can come from social media
Eat cleaner foods - stay off the processed
Keep journals. One for the good things that happened in the day and things you are grateful for and one to dump the negativity and stress from the day
And that's mostly it. It does go into each of those topics in more detail and explain what clean foods are for example. It gives lots of visualisations for those that have never done them before. There's a section on what herbs are good for health issues and also supplements as well. Plus a wide range of questionnaires to get you thinking about your habits and where you can make some changes.

I made myself a little list of how I want my dietary habits to be. I'm already 8 days into giving up fizzy pop however I know the sugar reduction isn't going to happen until after Xmas week. It encourages us to go easy on ourselves when we don't get it right each day. That's where the gratitude diary comes into it. It's ok to have a blip.

I enjoyed it. I personally found a lot of things to take on-board and work with over the coming months. It's an easy read that doesn't throw lots of science at you like some health books. I like this one - thumbs up
on 24 January 2013
I am still reading this book, I have found it is different to any other tool that I had tried before.
on 20 January 2017
This book gave me lots to think about and take forward. Since I've started paying more attention to what I eat and why I may be eating I've lost 7lbs but also feel so much better mentally.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 4 February 2013
Another book promising miracles. Does it deliver? Not entirely.

Here is a book that seems to promise the earth - a four-step, eight-week programme that will help you cut your weight by managing your "empathy overload", apparently the hidden cause of unwanted weight gain. The author has based the book on her own personal experiences and with that of her clients. Apparently the problem is not eating the right things or having insufficient willpower. It is, instead, we are feeling too much.

Yes, incredulously that is the central claim. A sceptic should not necessarily mock things they have not tried and there is a lot to be said about the placebo effect and the power of thought, but the overall style and approach of this book make any initial, rational overview a bit of a problem. It feels like wading through self-congratulatory, rah! rah! verbiage. You can immediately tell that this is going to be a book you either love, or hate, even before the merits, or lack thereof, of what the book has to say is considered.

The book's publicity blurb says that it will help in managing empathy, setting and maintaining healthy boundaries, eating to support well-being, and dealing with challenging situations that can trigger disordered eating. Maybe it will, but the price tag of this book, its lack of general browsability and the tremendous of other books in this genre means that it might have to fight for your attention and purchase.

Maybe this reviewer is not in tune with the target audience, but when you notice that you, as a prospective follower of this programme, are intoned to avoid the media because of its overall negative messages that will, in part, affect you and your diet, this reviewer started to react rather negatively. Apparently "feeling grateful" for the "nourishing food" you are going to eat also helps. Or in the book's own immortal words: "Imagine where that food came from and how it came to your table. Be grateful for the farmer, the workers who harvested the food, and all those who handled it with integrity before it came to you. Imagine the rich soil, the sunlight, and the rain that gave life to the plant and helped it to grow fruit, grains, or vegetables for you to eat. You might wish to say grace aloud or silently, using words you learned as a child or making up your own."

Riiiiight.... sorry, at this stage, this reviewer tuned out and turned off. This reviewer has a clear opinion as to the methodology behind this programme but acknowledges that we are not all alike. You would be strongly advised to take a long, hard look at this book if you feel that this could be something for you before purchase. And then put it back on the shelf, go away for a while and think about it. For a couple of dollars you could take a gamble if you were undecided, but this book is a long way away (presently) from being sold for a few dollars. Maybe give it time...

One desperately tries not to be overtly-negative, particularly with books covering this sort of subject material. What works for one person might not work for another person. But this is probably the only book (or one of a few books) to have elicited this sort of internal "ugh!" that this reviewer can recall. It is hard to even remain positive. Your views may vary... but then again, after review, they might not.

So in conclusion this gets a very average "three YUM" review. Mostly for effort and for propagating at least an alternative viewpoint. It falls down on readability, execution and encouragement.