Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.18

on 17 August 2012
The Black Thread by Margaret Muir is one of those gorgeously rare stories that keeps bubbling along with unfolding detail designed to capture and tease all who take pride at being able to visualise what will come next.

Set in Yorkshire just prior to the 20th century this book will engage the reader with beautiful descriptive local detail woven into a well timed fictional saga of deprivation, loss, escape, fear and discovery. Plus The Black Thread holds an extra treat via a very standard build-up to the usual happy-ever-after being interrupted and replaced with the most unexpected and grandly wonderful catch and capture imaginable. Simply marvellous; five stars.
on 14 June 2013
Nice to read a book that I can accurately visualise for real as I live in Leeds and know all the areas mentioned that weave through the story. Very well written, thrilling with it's twists and turns and a happy ending - top marks to the author!
on 6 April 2013
This book has it all,there is family trauma,history re engineering,canals,mills and margaret has a good knowledge re this era.and she tells a good story,it is very well written,and I enjoyed it as much as her last book I read which was Through Glass Eyes.
I will definitely be downloading more of her books. Would like a second book to follow the story.
Highly recommended.
on 6 February 2013
Very well wrote. Enjoyed the era and hardships of that time were so real. Apart from that I just love an happy ending
on 16 April 2015
This book was very easily read - nothing to tax your brain! Similar to some of the
Catherine Cookson novels, but perhaps lacking some of that author's "grit".

The synopsis gives enough detail of the book, so I won't add to that, other than to
say the parts detailing the lives of the bargees and their horses were interesting. It must
have been a hard life, but one where people looked after each other.

There was no bad language, sex or gory violence in the book.
on 22 July 2013
A story with a good plot the descriptionby the author made for a good read, highly recommended will choice another
on 16 March 2015
Although I enjoy social history I would not normally choose to read author's like Catherine Cookson, but if you would then I can recommend this tale by Margaret Muir. The plot kept me interested and her descriptions enabled me to picture the scenery and characters. A well written tale. I would read more by this author.
on 15 March 2015
Came across this book via my news feed on fb thought oh i like the sound of this thoroughly enjoyed the story about lisbeth and Amy never expected what happened plenty of twists and unexpected things so glad she had a happy ending and found her true roots would of liked a follow on didn't want it to end.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 April 2014
Loved this story and a free download. Was intrigued by the author as she lives in tasmania.a place I've always wanted to go. Enjoyable read Catherine Cookson style . will definitely read more by this author. Highly recommended.
on 2 November 2013
Good book first time I have read a book by this author. Enjoyed it so much I have bought two more. This story was written in a similar style to Catherine Cookson. So I hope the next two are along the same lines