VINE VOICEon 9 June 2013
My older Panasonic "pocket rocket" I gave to my eldest Grandson for a trip he's off on. So I needed a replacement. This little camera just suited my needs. It takes the usual high quality snaps that will print in beautiful colour and detail up to A4 or even A3 in some cases without visible signs of pixelation; the smaller Sensor means that with smaller cameras the print size will be limited, but more than suitable enough for the averag user or family.

In Video mode this camera can be used on a tripod, mini-pod, car windscreen mount or hand-held due to the clever and effective "anti-shake" mechanism which smoothes out any "motion bumps". I chose black becaus eI want to use it in-car on a windscreen mount; also purchased via Amazon.

The camera holds a charge well, is easily charged by an optional mains charger unit, or via the supplied USB charger froma PC/Apple or via a mains adaptor. Spare batteries as well as chargers are also available for this model.

The other great feature, especially for the price, is the fact that you can control this via your Mobile Smart-Phone. I downloaded the Panasonic App and within minutes had the camera set-up on a windowsill, then viewd the bird on the bird table and took a few shots as they came in to feed. They did not see me as I was at the back of the room, but I could see them and could also focus and zoom!

All in all this is a bargain at around £90 and a multi-tasker.
on 23 May 2014
We bought this for a family trip to Lapland to see Santa, didn't want to bring our expensive digital, in case the extreme cold broke it.

We had a play around with this beforehand and it seemed to take decent pictures.

In use, this has proven to be a great little camera, it has good battery life and the cold didn't bother it in the slightest, we used it in temperatures down to -35degc and it kept on snapping away. The battery life didn't drop noticeably either in the cold. There was also a little feature that turned out to be great fun. You can download an app onto your ipad, connect to the camera and you can use the ipad as a remote control, use it as a remote viewfinder and tke pictures remotely, we had great fun with this and even used it to capture close ups of wildlife, by positioning the camera and watching through the viewfinder from a distance, so as not to scare the animals by our presence!

To top it off, the pictures are even pretty good!

This little camera is well worth the money.
on 1 November 2013
I have only used this camera a few times so far but am very pleased with what you get for the price. The Digital/optical zoom range is very good for a compact and the pictures are well coloured and crisp enough for most purposes. There is a good range of manual control available in the menus and if you can't be bothered with that, the intelligent auto does a fine point and shoot job in most conditions and the image stabiliser works well.
Obviously there are limits at this price level in terms of specification, performance and functionality, which is why this review is 4 not 5 stars. For instance I would have preferred the option of a viewfinder and maybe a touch screen, although the viewing screen is larger than many and well featured.
When you consider what is packed into a very small light camera that is perfect for just keeping in your pocket or bag, I think it is excellent. Whether I will use the wi-fi capability I don't know, but it's quite an advanced feature to have at this price.
on 17 August 2013
I bought one of these four months ago, solely because it could be used with the Lumix Link app on my android tablet as wireless viewfinder and remote control: this aspect works well. However, successful use of the other wireless functions has been cumbersome and the camera has crashed and frozen a couple of times. The firmware installed was version 1.0 but I have just downloaded and installed version 1.2 from the Panasonic website, which claims to fix one of the main wireless network problems (if the Windows workgroup was called anything other than "workgroup" the camera wouldn't connect to it). I'm hoping the update may also improve stability, but only time will tell.

If you do a websearch for "DMC-SZ5 firmware update", you should find the update available from Panasonic's Japanese website (panasonic.jp). The installation process takes longer than indicated in the instructions - at least a couple of minutes in my experience.
on 6 September 2013
I picked this to replace an earlier Lumix that had developed sensor spots and would have to be returned to Panasonic for repair.
The cost of that would have been more than the cost of the SZ5 so ne brainer, a new camera.
The Lumix SZ5 does exactly what it says on the box. The picture quality is very good, it's easy to use and is small and light.
The only drawback I can find is that, because it has a small battery pack it will only take about 260 photos before charging.
A second battery is going to be needed.
Other than that I can't fault it.
on 15 July 2013
For a 'happy snapper' like myself this camera is absolutely ideal. The menu options are very easy to find and use, the panoramic facility works incredibly well and the camera itself is still small enough to fit into a shirt pocket.

Not sure about the wifi facility, but have managed to link it to my smartphone.

For the price paid this was an absolute bargain, and even standard delivery took just over 1 day.
on 14 November 2013
not used it properly yet, but fits in your pocket and takes a decent photo. and haveing wi fi easy download pictures to pc.
on 24 December 2015
Brilliant camera
on 28 November 2016
really good. i got it for my son and he loves it.top quality photos.
on 19 September 2013
Great value for money, great tech spec yet small and light. Great picture due to high quality camera lens, Perfect