on 31 July 2012
This is the Real Deal Folks. Having been interested in cooking my own curries for some time, I was constantly frustrated with the lack of that authentic take away curry flavour. I have followed many recipes, which have claimed to produce the taste only to be left disappointed with the final results.
Then the Breakthrough!!!
Having watch Julian on You Tube and Purchased his book, I found the Secret in the cooking of every Take away curry. Since following Julian's Recipes, (which are so easy to follow) I have been turning out perfect 'Takeaway style' curries that taste amazing, & are totally authentic. The fact that this guy is White, and runs his own take away business just adds to this being a great insight into the industry.
The book is a very easy read and humorous at times, and it doesn't hold back on the secrets. This book tells it all.
This is one Recipe book every curry aficionado should have in their Kitchen!!!
on 23 July 2012
For anyone who likes curry - this is fantastic. I don't have a Kindle but have easily downloaded it to my PC.
The instructions are very clear , the secrtes revealed are fascinating - and the results are amazing.
Do try it. The only people who may be sorry are our friends in the Tandoori Garden who may not see us as often!
on 9 March 2014
I'm very disappointed in this Kindle version, definitely not worth the money in my view. There is lots of self-congratulatory description of his magic sauce and magic ingredients but the recipes are extremely slipshod. His favourite trick is to list ingredients and then forget to tell you when to add them eg. jalfrezi - I got to the end and realised too late that he hadn't said when to add the garlic and ginger paste. Then he says things such as "add the tomato wedge" when he hadn't listed it in the ingredients so you have to run around looking for one at a crucial stage in the recipe. Lots of examples like this. It is also very expensive to get all the ingredients for the base sauce only to then find out that his recipes also need magic sauce and often onion sauce as well, a whole new trip to the Asian supermarket. Would be good to have a simplified version for those of us without huge wallets and store cupboards.
on 31 July 2012
I Like curry a lot and I have been chasing the elusive restaurant taste for what seems like most of my adult life and having bought just about every book on the subject, I must admit I was a bit sceptical about this, but was nevertheless intrigued that it's written by an English guy who not only claims to have cracked the formula, but also opened his own takeaway. It turns out my scepticism was unfounded, as this is the really delivers the goods. It's worth buying just for the detail the author goes into about the base gravy, which is where it's all at - and I was surprised there is no need to make a huge cauldron of the stuff, either, as I found in some other books I've bought. There are recipes for smaller versions of all three (I was surprised they gave detail for that many) types of base gravy. If you love curry and want to save some money from the curry house whilst also getting a better dish then this is for you, seriously I cannot recommend this highly enough.

Easy to get on the iphone too which is handy when in the kitchen! (just requires the Kindle for iPhone app).
Great book made even better by its links to youtube videos showing you how its all done. I've made chicken Madras, Vindaloo and Bombay potato so far. Excellent results. Made the gravy in a slow cooker too; it took a bit longer but it was worth the wait.
on 23 July 2016
Julian is the man when it comes to authentic British Indian Restaurant style curries. For a long time I've been cooking the more traditional home cooked style curry at home, which isn't really the same as the stuff you get in take aways. As much as I like the true authentic stuff, there are times I just want a cheeky take away style Tikka Masala or something along those lines. This book really does help you create curries that are very similar to the "real" thing.

Big fan of Julian's on Youtube. He's put so much effort into his videos and this book that I felt like giving him the £3 regardless. Nice one Julian, and looking forward to cooking some of these :-)
on 22 September 2013
As you are reading my review you are keen to achieve some BIR dishes. Julian has done very well with this book. He is absolutely spot on with the base gravy which does give 'that smell' when entering an Indian restaurant. His recipe for onion bhaji is the best I have ever used with the result as good as any restaurant I have eaten in. The korma has been described as better than any restaurant. As a madras man the recipe is good but not quite excellent. The nan bread recipe is not quite there yet and, as this is a must have with any curry, the reason why I have to award 4 stars instead of 5. I'd give 4.9/5 if I could. I can't comment on some of the other recipes because I don't order them in a restaurant so have not made them.
There are also some helpful tips about cooking meat from room temperature and being being careful when cooking and more importantly, reheating rice.
In conclusion, as a student of BIR cooking for more years than I wish to remember, this is probably the best book I have used and for much less than the price of a curry from a takeaway it is a bargain. Very pleased with my purchase.
on 29 July 2012
This is definitely going down as one of my best buys yet! As a home cooking fan (not least as you know exactly what's gone into your meals!) and a big curry fan (who isn't?!) I've always wondered why it is that the curry recipes I use never taste quite like 'the real deal' and what must be the 'missing ingredient' or technique that curry houses use to make an authentic curry house curry just that. I'd assumed such information would be closely guarded, or be far too advanced for a home cook at my (pretty basic!) level to grapple. So I'm thrilled to have found an accessible, well written and entertaining guide to how to do it! The YouTube video links are a particular bonus! So far I've tried the 3-litre version of the base gravy and made my best ever curries (Rogan Josh and Jalfrezi), and intend to sample many more now I have the secrets! I'm even toying with the idea of inviting friends over for a 'takeaway' and seeing if they notice! Although I suspect they will as one thing I would say the book doesn't make enough of is the fact that the results are actually BETTER than you would expect from your favourite curry house! Keep up the good work Julian & co!
on 3 February 2016
Fab book! Amazing results every time!

Prior to finding this book I purchased other books on the subject and they have now all gone to charity shops. This book is the 'real deal' and the only one I need to produce amazing BIR curries.

Be aware, that there is some time consuming preparation but once frozen into portions you can have amazing curries on the table in no time. An added bonus for me is that I get to choose the quality of the vegetables, meat and poultry in the dishes I cook which means I can select organic or free range if desired and I am in control of what I am eating!

Thanks Julian for sharing your knowledge, tips and tricks to make truly outstanding BIR curries!
on 31 October 2015
First class and easy to use with a link to his tube so you can see how the cooking is made as well as just have to read. All my friends liked the two I have cooked so far so it must me good and not me saying it
Brilliant