Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

At time of writing, this 4CD set is quite a bargain; there are indeed eleven LP`s presented here, with no tracks missing.

The set is comprised of the first nine Columbia albums - 10inch LP`s - to feature Day in her own right; almost all are recordings of songs from her films with the exception of “You’re My Thrill”, her first solo album - she had, of course, been a band vocalist with Les Brown prior to this.
The other two albums here are the longer 12inch format with “Love Me or Leave Me” being an original soundtrack recording. This is almost her complete recorded output from 1949-55.
These are transfers of original vinyl records with minimal re-mastering - only the owners of the original material could truly enhance the sound any further - but the albums used here have been treated with care without any obvious distortion or excessive processing and the sound quality is very good, certainly as good as listening to an LP of this vintage.

A very recommendable collection, worth picking up.
INTRODUCTION:

Doris Day was born Doris Kappelhoff on April 3, 1922 in Cincinnati, Ohio. She sang briefly with Bob Crosby in 1940 and shortly thereafter became a major star with Les Brown band (she had 12 charted hits with Brown including the #1 hits “Sentimental Journey” and “My Dreams Are Getting Better All The Time”). Day became the #1 box office star of the late 1950s and early 1960s. She also starred in her own popular TV series from 1968-73. She had 32 charted hits from 1948-1954, including three #1 hits: “Love Somebody”, “A Guy Is A Guy” and "Secret Love.” From 1955, she had 16 charted hits on Billboard Hot 100, including her major #2 hit: “Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Que Sera Sera)”.

CONTENT:

I am a big Doris Day fan, and proud owner of 38 Doris Day CDs (including her four beloved Bear Family Box Sets, covering her entire career) and 4 vinyl albums. Then, why would I buy this set. The answer is value. Imagine 11 Doris Day albums (1949-1955) on 4 CDs at a very reasonable price. This is an offer I simply cannot refuse and resist. You may ask how one can fit 11 albums onto 4 CDs. The answer is that in the early 50s, there are only 8 songs on each album.

Song listing (with chart position and year) is as follows:

Disc 1:
YOU’RE MY THRILL (Columbia CL 6071) 1949:
01 You’re My Thrill
02 Bewitched, Bothered And Bewildered (9/1950)
03 I’m Confessin’
23 I Love The Way You Say Goodnight
24 Please Don’t Talk About Me When I’m Gone

Disc 2:
YOUNG MAN WITH THE HORN (with Harry James)(Columbia CL 6106) 1950:
01 I May Be Wrong (But I Think You’re Wonderful)
02 The Man I Love

03 Love Ya
04 Christmas Story
05 I’m Forever Blowing Bubbles
06 Cuddle Up Closer
07 Every Little Movement (Has A Meaning All Its Own)
08 Tell Me
I’LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS (Columbia CL 6198) 1951:
09 Ain’t We Got Fun
10 The One I Love (Belongs To Somebody Else)
11 I Wish I Had A Girl

02 I Can Do Without You
03 The Black Hills Of Dakota
04 Just Blew In From Windy City
05 A Women’s Touch
06 Higher Than A Hawk (Deeper Than A Well)
07 ‘Tis Harry I’m Plannin’ To Mary
08 Secret Love (1(4)/1954)
YOUNG AT HEART (Columbia CL 6339) 1954:
19 Everybody Loves My Baby
20 Mean To Me
21 Sam The Old Accordian Man
22 Shaking The Blues Away
23 What Can I Say After I Say Sorry – I Cried For You – My Blue Heaven – Ten Cents A dance
24 I’ll Never Stop Loving You
25 Never Look Back
26 At Sundown
27 Love Me Or Leave Me
28 Finale

The sound quality is excellent, but cannot be compared to the vibrant sound from Bear Family. However, each Bear Family box set cost near $200!! Here, there is also no booklet.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

If you like Doris Day, you will like this set. This set contains her first 11 albums. I notice that Volume 2 (another 4 CD set) with 8 Classic albums will be released on January 22. I have pre-ordered it, and will give you my review once I have received and listened to it. As you can see from the song listing (not available on the website), there are many outstanding tracks, like: “Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered,” “Lullaby Of Broadway,””The Very Thought Of You”(with Harry James), “The Deadwood Stage,””The Black Hills Of Dakota,” and of course “Secret Love.” The price is reasonable. Real Gone Jazz has done a great job in bringing this series with multiple albums in each set for many major artists, like Chubby Checker, Harry Belafonte, Everly Brothers, Pat Boone, etc. The above set is of course highly recommended and great value!
on 3 September 2013
There are so many cheap 'needle drop' vinyl rip cds from out of copy write recordings out there, so I thought here we go again, but it was very cheap, eleven albums for very little money. So I thought give it a go, and if it sounded dreadful at least I would get the satisfaction of writing a scathing review.
However I was amazed, the sound quality is superb, Miss Days voice has such presence and sparkle.
I have a couple of the albums in this set on original Columbia cds, so was able to do an A-B comparison, and dare I say it the Real Gone Music versions have the edge!
Only downside is the lack of information on the songs, no mention of other singers she duets with on some tracks.
No fancy artwork, they have put all the time and effort into the recordings, and that's what really counts.
I feel quite confident in ordering other titles in this series, which I am sure will be of equal quality.
So cast away all doubts, order your copy, satisfaction guaranteed.
Eleven Classic Albums with one Hundred tracks on four CDs for the price of just one CD means you get an awful lot for not a lot of money.

The albums are
"I'll See You In My Dreams (1951)",
"ByThe Light Of The Silvery Moon (1953)",
"Calamity Jane (With Howard Keel)(1953)",
"Young At Heart (1954) and
"Love Me Or Leave Me (1955)".

There is a sister album volume two which has another fabulous collection.

Here is a link to it.
Eight Classic Albums: Volume 2

The Real Gone Jazz label has garnered some really good reviews for sound quality.
The digitally enhanced sound is a good indicator but for a proper review I really suggest you read other, more knowledgeable people's reviews.

For example Mr D Score has said
".I've collected several "Real Gone" 4 CD sets and have never been disappointed with the sound quality, but on some Stan Kenton 4 CD sets I think they have stretched a bit too far and tried to squeeze 8 albums onto 4 CDs, when the original albums are often 50 minutes or more. The "Real Gone" albums are always between 60 and 80 minutes, but the albums they are putting on sometimes only have a little more than half of the original album."

So bear that in mind.
Thanks Mr Score.

The collection is on 4 CDs encased in a double wide jewel case. Enhanced to boot makes this a tempting buy.
Amazon, at the time of writing, has not provided a track list.
So this may be of interest and use?

As always if you see any typos add a note and I will correct and credit you with the correction- just add a comment......

The Tracks over the 4 CDs are

24 PLEASE DON'T TALK ABOUT ME WHEN I'M GONE

[Disc 2]
Young Man With The Horn
(with Harry James)
01 I MAY BE WRONG (BUT I THINK YOU'RE WONDERFUL)
02 THE MAN I LOVE

07 EVERY LITTLE MOVEMENT (HAS A MEANING ALL IT'S OW
08 TELL ME
I'll See You In My Dreams
09 AIN'T WE GOT FUN
10 THE ONE I LOVE (BELONGS TO SOMEBODY ELSE)
11 I WISH I HAD A GIRL

02 I CAN DO WITHOUT YOU
03 THE BLACK HILLS OF DAKOTA
04 JUST BLEW IN FROM WINDY CITY
05 A WOMEN'S TOUCH
06 HIGHER THAN A HAWK (DEEPER THAN A WELL)
07 'TIS HARRY I'M PLANNIN' TO MARRY
14 YOU MY LOVE
Love Me Or Leave Me
15 OVERTURE
16 IT ALL DEPENDS ON YOU
17 YOU MADE ME LOVE YOU (I DIDN'T WANT TO DO IT)
18 STAY ON THE RIGHT SIDE, SISTER
26 AT SUNDOWN
27 LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME
28 FINALE
29 MY GUY GLENN.
55 Comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 June 2014
Terrific to be able to purchase these long deleted LP's once again after all these years
It goes without saying that the quality of Doris Day's voice is amazing of course but what wonderful arrangements she had and superb bandleaders she worked with including Harry James (a personal favourite) Les Brown and Billy May
I cannot recommend this collection highly enough and will certainly be investing in the 2nd volume very SOON
If you don't know Miss Day's work where have you been (?) and if you're already a fan why not re-visit some classic LP's without the scratches!
The transfers to CD are brilliant and the sound quality for a budget prized collection is AMAZING
Hope you will enjoy this as much as I am doing
on 23 July 2015
Some of her top songs missing, but the remainder turn the clock back & I won't have to worry about changing the stylus!!!
I must admit I did not expect the quality to be as good as it is. Terrific value.
on 3 October 2014
I just want to add one information to this great Real Gone Music-set of Doris Day records.
For those who wonder, like I did before I bought it:
"Love Me Or Leave Me" from 1955 comes in the stereo version.
It has not not always been like that on earlier CDs of this soundtrack.
on 12 March 2015
The CDs are wonderful and contains many of my old favorite songs and brought back lots of great memories of growing up and listening/watching Doris Day through the years. My experience with ordering/receiving this product is very positive and I plan to order additional CDs
on 25 November 2016
Excellent value.offer. Lots of good music for Doris Day fans and a selection of standards that demonstrate how good a vocalist she was.
There are no liner notes at all and the printing on the album sleeves was too small for me to read without a magnifying glass.
on 14 August 2014
Love everything she does. Doris never hits a dud note. The quality of the recordings are excellent as is the price.