Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 October 2013
This is a decent album but doesn't take off, Jo has a great expressive voice and is one of the best blues guitarists around. Much like her hero SRV songwriting doesn't come easy, someone like Kevin Shirley is needed to make her into the superstar she can be. A good example is Going Home from her first album, a few more uptempo rock songs with killer riffs and solos would be good , on this album it's all a bit too polite, where's the excitement. I like the album but the next one needs to be a lot better and she needs to get on some good tours as special guest or support, Bonamasssa and Slash spring to mind but her profile needs to be a lot higher, does she need better management?
on 10 August 2017
This girl is one hell of a guitarist and songwriter. Well worth the money.
on 1 April 2017
brill
on 28 December 2012
I've been waiting for Joanne's new album for ages and I certainly was'nt disappointed. It starts off with an up tempo number and some solid guitar licks and the album finishes with a beautiful love song. In between is a mixture of up tempo blues and ballads. "Jealousy" is a lovely soulfull ballad with wonderful, subtle, mature guitar playing and "Standing to Fall" is a free flowing number where Joanne lets rip and gives it some welly way beyond her years. I can't ever recall hearing such an accomplished female blues guitar player and on top of that talent, her beautiful husky voice is to die for, this is one female that could talk to me all day. Her voice reminds me of a cross between Dusty Springfield and Joss Stone.
What could be better than someone who plays, dare I say it ( better than Clapton )and has a sexy voice to boot. Yes I like this a lot and can't wait for her fourth album.
66 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 November 2012
Blues, raw, sexy, and full on. Listen and and marvel at the skills of this guitarist. Seek her out and watch her perform. You wont forget her.
on 5 January 2013
I have played this a few times now, and whilst I am pleased I bought it and will continue to use, it falls short of "White Sugar", her first Album.
There just does not seem to be the originality or edge to the set. White Sugar feels "live" in it's presentation. This does not make me sit up and listen.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 19 September 2012
I was thrilled when I first discovered this great artist on her White Sugar album. I was even more thrilled when Diamonds In The Dirt was released, it was even better. It's been a long wait since then and I've been eagerly looking forward to this album. But it's just, well, bland.

It's a polished and accomplished performance, but I agree with another reviewer, the songs are just toned down and repetitive and boring. Go and listen to tracks like Time Has Come from White Sugar, or Lord Have Mercy from Diamonds In The Dirt, and you can see what stunning exciting playing and singing this lady is capable of. Where is it on this album? There is a glimpse of it in Tied and Bound, and Standing To Fall starts off promisingly and then fizzles out half way through, but otherwise it's totally missing in my view. I still play the other albums frequently, but I doubt I'll be going near this one much.

Is this catering more for US tastes? She seems to have spent a lot of time there. If it is, I hope she reverts to previous form for her next album.

I still love her singing and playing - but not on this much, sadly.
on 2 November 2013
The guitar playing on this is great throughout, especially my favourites "Jealousy" & "Beautifully Broken". She has a very distinctive voice, but I like it and it's perfect for the style of music.
There are a good variety of styles and tempos on the album, and after a few spins they all make their impression, so this CD is never far from my player and I listen right through every time I put it on.
on 15 January 2015
This is JST's third album, and I reckon possibly my favourite of the 4 studio albums. On saying that ALL of her albums are fantastic! She is an amazing guitarist, fantastic voice and an outstanding and prolific songwriter. One reason I like this album so much is it shows what a versatile and outstanding guitarist/singer and songwriter Joanne is. I really am surprised that it doesn't have more 5 star ratings.....
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 September 2012
I've not heard much by Joanne Shaw Taylor but the few tracks I have heard were very impressive for such a young guitarist/singer working a similar modern soul blues territory to Jon Amor and Matt Schofield. I was a bit surprised by the choice of Mike McCarthy (Spoon, Patty Griffin, Lee Ann Womack) as producer but I guess this record is aimed more to an American audience.

The production is certainly very professional, if maybe a bit slick, and similarly the band of David Garza on keyboards and a rhythm section of Billy White and J.J. Johnson provide seamless, if a bit annonymous, back up for Joanne's guitar and vocals. Joanne doesn't have the blues-belting voice of a Susan Tedeschi but I do like her more intimate hoarse, husky 'whisper'. Her guitar playing has some very impressive varied sounds but I did think that some of the solos were a bit weak. However, it was the songs that I thought really let this album down, there were too many mid-tempo soul blues that lope along and don't really get anywhere, there is certainly nothing here as good as "Going home" or "Bones" from her first CD. I would go for "Beautifully broken" and "A hand in love" as my favourite tracks. I do wonder if Mike McCarthy is the right producer for Joanne and if a producer with more blues and rock experience would have been a better choice.