Customer reviews

on 9 April 2017
Loved it!
A film about a boy going to boarding school in South Africa
Time flies by watching this

Feel good with a light touch of heartbreak..........

Not a musical, but some talented singing through a 'school performance'. Very well done
on 6 April 2017
Most enjoyable and very funny
on 18 June 2017
I loved it. This film reminds of when I was at public boarding school.
on 25 September 2017
Growing up in Africa. Was great to watch a film to bring all the nostalgia back. Makes one home sick.
on 29 July 2017
bought for teenage daughter,who loves it.
on 14 June 2012
Being an expatriate South African, I was deeply touched by this film, for it brought back a lot of childhood memories. I love the movie: the setting, the period of profound political change, the countryside, and especially the call of the hadeda... Hearing the hadeda call made me weep with longing for my country of birth. It is a heartwarming film!
on 11 August 2012
A very good film with plenty of comedy and an insight into kids in boarding school. Typically there is bullying and the formation of close friendships. The film tackles the death of a close friend in a sensitive way. Wonderful acting from John Cleese as an excentric form teacher with a passion for books who drinks and has marital problems. He takes to Spud and encourages him to read as much as possible. The star of the film playing John Milton ( Spud ) is 12 year old Troye Sivan. Troye is an excellent, talented actor he also has an amazing singing voice. You can hear Troye singing many songs on YouTube where he has his own music channel. ( TroyeSivan18.)
Troye recently played the part of young Logan in Xmen, he was spotted by Hugh Jackman ( Logan ) while performing on YouTube which landed him the part. Although Troye lives in Perth Australia his family are originally from South Africa where the film Spud is set.
I loved the film and highly recommend it.
on 10 October 2012
The DVD arrived in good condition. The film is about a young boy's experience in his first year at an exclusive South African private school in the early 90s just as Nelson Mandela is about to be released. It is redolent of Public/boarding school life in 60s & 70s UK & I believe all ex-pupils who were 'boarders' will really enjoy what is a hoot from beginning to end. Obviously the film focuses more than the book on the role of The Guv as the makers wanted to showcase an outstanding John Cleese in the lead. However, he is an matched by the relative innocence of the lead boy, portrayed convincingly by Troy Sivan. As in most good comedies the many outrageously funny incidents are balanced by moments of real sadness - tear-jerkingly so.
on 4 February 2013
I've longed to see this film for quite awhile in fact it was one of the reasons I was drawn to Amazon UK from stateside. I was already familiar with Zoverstocks's in UK because many of my music choices came from there which in turn lead me to Amazon,UK for more choice in hard to find unique music and films such as "Spud". Though available stateside it was still a region 2 DVD and if I remember there were two copies available both at about $50- which was a tad high for a relatively unknown movie other than on the Internet if you were willing to research; I was an did.
I also ordered the book because re. of how the movie presented I would value the depth of characterization that the book would allow and also be able to follow my lead character's journey onward if so I chose, something the movie wouldn't be able to do.

Now finally for the movie. Troy Sivan captivates every scene he is in with those expressive eyes and inherent softness that is so frowned upon within the environment in which he was dumped.
I made mention to "The Power Of One" in my header, those of you who have seen it know of its power and beauty. Even though I haven't seen it in a couple of decades this film reminds me of that. Now our boy here certainly doesn't have the tenacity and spirit of the little hellfire in 'One' he most certainly is the same fish out of water.
Though I can see the value of boarding schools for education and development of maturity I most certainly disdain the dominance, bullying, and destruction of spirit that is so prevalent in that environment.
I don't have to be a resident of UK or SA to be aware of that which I speak is true. In that light I don't and didn't view this as a comedy, even with the wonderful John Cleese playing young John's mentor quite superbly. Both are wounded spirits in their own way and bolster each other through the darkened passages of their shared confinement; one in a troubled marriage, the other trapped in a hell not of his own making. There is a character Gecko; I most certainly hope he will be in the book because of the relationship he shares with our lead and the heart he brings into the movie. He's so on the fringe, physically and I suppose mentally but he offers John a hand where none else would and allows him to surface from the muck of which he's entrenched. I won't spoil plot here and have tried to be cautious to those like myself who have not read the books or are unaware of the movie's basis.
I had visited YouTube to listen to Troy's singing; I will reserve judgement in regards to that, lets just say it wasn't that which drew me to this movie. Do enter Troy Sivan's name @ YouTube and you'll find quite an offering of his work including a very nice piece he did for charity.

Admittedly there are holes in this film; I can't say where or what without mentioning plot but if you wish to watch a character based film with a extremely captivating and endearing lead; such as M.Lester in 'Oliver' than by all means watch it, but be prepared to care and think twice about "Tom Brown's School Days"; be it then or now.

Also keep in mind that this film is now available at a very reasonable price compared to before, (leastwise in UK!)
and most probably it won't be available on tv either here or there due to its obscurity and uniqueness.
on 23 July 2014
I really enjoyed watching this! I think it's such a shame that Universal don't market it better in the UK but anyway...

The film follows John "Spud" Milton during his first year at a prestigious private boarding school in South Africa, 1990. Very much a coming of age story, we see Spud struggle with friendships, girls, and of course his painfully slow journey through puberty!

It had me in hysterics from start to finish, and I did like that Spud narrates, much in the style of a diary (as in the book).

The thing that I particularly like about this film, and the book (and the series as a whole) is the unique way in which Van de Ruit tackles the problems and difficulties teenagers go through growing up. I don't think I've found anything else that talks about puberty, alcohol, smoking, bullying etc so candidly and with so much honesty, and so much of the humour stems from moments where I laughed because I went "I was in that situation once!".

The picture presented of private boarding school is very true to life!

Although the story is mostly true to the book, I must confess I missed characters like Crispo and Earthworm. It is none the less an excellent adaptation and I would thoroughly recommend it.

Is the book always better? I couldn't say, but I would definitely recommend you read it, and the rest of the series. They are very good reads, and suitably hilarious.