on 30 September 2015
Fireblood whisperers of Mirrowen Book 1

A grim tale more negative then hopeful. A story about one man's journey through harsh
lands to discover the truth about his apparently unloving uncle. He meets other characters from different cultures who have various kinds of magic skills and others with evil ones. It is a heavy book with little happiness along the way. There seems too much against him. The forest spirits help him yet are too easily extinguished by evil when they try to protect their beloved trees. The trees contain memories and are very precious yet too easily damaged by those with selfish intentions.
it is well written although I found it sadly depressing. There are many things to remember about the characters and concentration is necessary throughout, hence the glossary. I am only half way through but need a break from the gloominess. Nevertheless less i'v book book 2, so say no more!
on 19 April 2016
A clever and integrated story between a set of characters that all had their part to play in someone plans. There were many parts of the book where I felt lost, or the sentence structure threw me off, but otherwise, it was a captivating read with many smart ideas and philosophies.

The characters all felt unique and had their own values and goals to fulfill. Each character had progressed and changed as a result of their adventure to give an exciting end (to the book).

I look forward to reading the next in the series.
on 30 May 2017
Some bits of the magic systems were rather intriguing but the characters themselves were intensely irritating, especially the interactions between the bhiku and the romini. The way the races were characterised also seemed to be rather stereotypical though the author does sort of explain that in his notes at the end of the book.
on 13 July 2013
After reading similar types of books I thought I would give this a try as it was recommended however I find a bit boring and cliche in places. For me this did nothing to endear the characters and in terms of plot I was past caring before getting even halfway.
10 people found this helpful
on 13 February 2018
For me, Jeff Wheeler never disappoints. I was immediately entranced by the characters and could not put this book down. It may be aimed at a younger audience but even as a mature reader you will enjoy the adventure. Can't wait to read the next instalment.
on 30 July 2015
Fantastic. I read the Muirwood books by Jeff and immediately purchased the first in this series. I read it within a few days, and on finishing I immediately downloaded the rest of the series.

Brilliantly written complex world, following the fight to survive and discover the truth.

Another epic series from someone who is definately one of my favorite authors!
on 17 December 2014
At times this book delivered pure fantasy in its finest sense - but not consistently and not nearly enough. Far too many different races and cultures. Not necessary and distracting. I think the author was on a mission to see just how many unpronounceable names he could come up with. I did enjoy the book however and looking forward to the next one. I do hope it is more fantasy than chore.
on 24 September 2014
I felt this book had a bit of a slow start, but that might just have been me coming to terms with the strange names and races.
Lots of plots and subplots woven together, make you want to keep reading "just one more page" till you realise it's 2am! I was horrified when what seems like out of the blue it's finished. Thank God for kindle books that you can download the next book regardless of time of day. If you like strange magic and mythical races this is the book for you. I loved it.
on 26 October 2016
It took me a while to get into this book but once I grasped all the terminology and the different abilities of the various races and their innate abilities I thoroughly enjoyed the book.
on 11 February 2014
This book is for those who like a more intellectual fantasy. The mix of 'beliefs' are tantalizingly familiar with the spice of the unknown. A compelling tale which draws you in and keeps you coming back for more. It is a pity that the thieves are named so closely to the Romany people which will continue the prejudice against them. All in all an excellent read.