VINE VOICEon 18 August 2012
With recent departures In This Moment is arguably now a Chris Howorth (lead guitar) and Maria Brink (vocals) project, which is no detraction. This is their fourth album and they are still producing quality music which moves through a number of shades of hard edged deliveries; mostly metal based but never afraid to add ballards or slower tempos.
In This Moment fans will of course have a happy time arguing of the merits of the differing albums, that aside 'Blood' is the fourth in a consistently good output.
Previous album `Star Crossed Wasteland' was something of a concept. `Blood' is a collection of songs in the In This Moment theme. There are the classic thunderous music and raging vocals of `Blood' `You're Gonna Listen' `From The Ashes' `Beast Within', and `Commanche' The lighter but still passionate of `Whore' and `Scarlet', We have two instead one of those poetical less than minute pieces, though this time listen carefully to the last words of `It is Written'. `Burn' and `Blood Legion' are the ones which shift between genres. '11:11' is something different, very nearly unaccompanied Maria Brink bears very favourable comparison to some of the old raw blues singers of yore and left me wondering if there will be a Maria Brink solo career; a second listening to `Andrenalize' a sultry delivery of lyrics added to this notion.
Howorth and Brink have worked hard to produce this album which cuts across the genres of metal and rock as they always do; the loyal fans will not be disappointed and if you have heard about them but never bought anything, then this is a good place to star
on 16 August 2012
After pre-ordering 'Blood' I got it in the post two days before its release. According to my iPod play count I've listened to it 15 times in the space of three days.
If you've heard the title track 'Blood' then that's the style to expect from the whole album. There are three intermission tracks at around 30 seconds long each, pretty much a waste of time, and I feel the last song, 11:11, is just a filler track and not the best song to end the album with. The guitar riffs seem to have taken a back-step and there's not much double bass drums. My favourite songs are:
Adrenalize
Whore
Comanche
Scarlet
For me these songs stick out amongst the rest, but they're all good, nice and heavy. There's not as much screaming as there was on 'A Star Crossed Wasteland'. I knocked off a star because I prefer that album over this one. Not because it's better, comparing the two can't really be done because this has a new and fresh style, but I think ASCW is flawless.
on 21 March 2014
This album is awesome. I mean, you should check the tracks out on youtube or something before spending money, but it's high quality rock/metal with dives into being creepy. I'm going to be asking for quite a few of these songs at metal nights.
on 22 January 2013
This album gets a big YES from me. I only give 5 stars when something special comes along, and here it is.
It's true that In This Moment have progressed to a heavier sound than on the first 2 albums, but they are all the better for it.
In my opinion this is not just an album of tracks as another reviewer has said. I'm sure it is a Vampire concept album.
With many concept albums there always seems to be filler tracks to go along with the story. Not the case here, all the tracks are very good, and there is a darker feel to the whole album compared to the earlier ones.
The short intro tracks add to the atmosphere of the whole concept and the last track 11 - 11 rounds it off nicely.
Maria Brinks vocals in my opinion have improved, and there are some awesome BLOOD curdling screams and growls going on, just check out the track 'Burn' if you don't believe me.
Best tracks (for me) are:
Blood
Burn
Form The Ashes
Comanche
O.K Now go buy it, and play it to death like I have.
P.S Nothing like Pantera with a female vocalist.
on 27 January 2014
I bought this album on the strength of seeing Adrenalize on one of the TV music channels and the album is worth it for that alone, however, on repeated listens, the rest of the album grows on you as well.
on 7 September 2012
Be careful there are no small children or animals around when playing this as Maria's vocals will tear their skin clean off to the bone then carve through them too !Awesome awesome band, buy it don't be a wimp and strap yourself into something heavy and crank it up, oh deep joy (grinning like a medieval fool still)My speakers quiver and try in vain to escape when I put this in, right that's it, now clear off while I go destroy a small village with this album :)
on 9 June 2015
Mammoth!!!! The whole album makes me feel like a naughty schoolboy who should not be intruding into the s*** that this lead singer has endured and many other females in life. But awesome!
on 6 April 2013
The best album I've bought this year. Thanks to the blitz for playing some amazing metal, In This Moment have gained another fan. A must have in any metal collection.
on 14 March 2013
A fantastic Album right from the kick off with the awesome 'Blood' which has an almost Tribal Riff to get under your skin.
on 31 May 2015
Brilliant album from one of the best bands in the world at the minute, with Maria Brink bringing world class vocals!