Ni No Kuni - Wrath of the White Witch (PS3)
Edition: Standard Edition|Change

on 25 January 2017
Lets be clear, this is one of the best RPG's ever.

I'm a bit of an old gamer and have been an RPG gamer from "the day". For those who might be interested in a sample of the body of games I've enjoyed over the years (when they came out originally!), we have the likes of Phantasy Star on Master System, Might and Magic on Mega Drive, Secret of Mana on SNES, Final Fantasy Tactics on a chipped PS1 to allow it to play US games....I'l stop boring you. The only reason I mention it is to highlight that I've enjoyed the evolution over the years of different fighting sytems, leveling/grinding and characterisation, but what lies at the heart of a good RPG is whether the Story has a heart. Every time you find a good one, you develop a deep investment in the progress of the characters which means you can't leave the story unfinished.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is Ni No Kuni in a nutshell.

The fighting system is great, but not the best. The pace is slow to start and feels like a kids game initially. The Monster system is vast, but perhaps too vast for its own good and slightly flawed. Forget that all, the characterisation, animation (obviously), story and voice acting is breathtaking. I completed it moons ago but I still feel connected to the story. Do leave it in English, they have done the best acting job I've heard, especially Drippy. I can't wait for the second game to come out. I write this review to encourage anyone unsure of whether to take the plunge to just get on with it. If you like RPG's you owe it to yourself. At this price, buy 2, share some joy and give one to a friend who needs it :)
on 23 February 2017
The game is beautiful, great animation, wonderful studio ghibli effects. However it seems to be aimed at 4 year olds. I can handle games aimed at 8 or 9 year olds but 4 is a bit much. The characters are simplistic with no depth, and the plotlines are lacking in substance. The dialogue is very wordy but boring to the point where you just want them to shut up sometimes. The music is beautiful with a full orchestra, but seems way overblown for a simple game.

The battle system is frustrating at times because they have not got the balance between realtime and menu right, but you can get round it, and the boss fights are very good. I lost interest in it about a third of the way through, so it may have suddenly got hugely better, so my review is not based on the whole game. I have high hopes for the next one as I hear they are making it a lot better.
on 29 May 2015
I am 67 and love this game, I have played it over and over again, each time doing something different. I do not find it boring, do some of these people not realize, it is fantasy, things are not supposed to be logical or make sense at times. The graphics are beautiful, bit biased here as I also love Studio Ghilbi. As for Mr. Drippy, he really makes the game, just wish they had used more sound for the voices. To me getting the right voice can make or break a game for me, if I do not like the voice I end up turning the sound off, if I cannot do it in the game. All games have repetitive parts in them, if you did not have this there would be no battles. They should bring out more games like this with great graphics and good voices. To me if you like fantasy and want to get lost in the game this is the one.
on 21 November 2015
Arguably one of the best Jrpg of last generation and the result of a fruitful collaboration between Sudio Gibli and Level 5 the makers of Rogoue Galaxy and Dark Cloud. It feels like a fairy tale with a touching story and very beautiful art. The battle system is real time which pauses once you access the meno to use skills or items. You can recruit most of the monsters you fight, which is very fun and adds a strategic element as differnt monsters have different strengths and weaknesses. There is also a post-game phase, which is an added bonus. All in all a must-buy and it's very cheapt to boot, 15 pounds at the time of writing this review.
on 30 October 2013
As a fan of Studio Ghibli movies, Myazaki films in particular, and a part time lover of video games, I snapped this game up when I spotted it.

I'm most of the way through the game now and overall a very positive experience of the game. It has provided hours of entertainment, and I'm a little sad it's almost over.

The pro's and cons:
Pros
- Lovely look and feel - classic Ghibli
- Very rich detail; maps, supporting journals and material that has obviously had a lot of thought and effort put into it
- Lots of adventures inside of adventures; errands, bounty hunts, mini games, development of familiars etc
- A nice story (although agree with other commentors that it is a little 'cutesy')
Con
- Too many familiar fights a.k.a. 'pokemonfest' - I can't count how many silly little fights I had to do, each with the same intro music ('da da du du duuuuu' - you'll know what I mean if you've played this game). After about 100 battles it made me want to rip out my ears.

I'm really stuggling to come up with more 'cons' - it's really the best game i've played in a long time. Buy if you enjoy RPG, Ghibli films, rich adventure games without combat that is too challenging/stressful/gorey.
on 12 November 2016
Starts off a bit slow at first. Intro gets a little dull. When the map opens up the game become very interesting. the art is well it's ghibli so perfect. Gameplay is not a traditional RPG more like a monster collecting RPG with elements of action RPG gameplay. Music is incredible. It's a great quality game and it's one of a kind with a charm that is rare in gaming. Gotta say I enjoyed this.

A unofficial sequel to Jade Cocoon in my opinion continuing to concept but expanding it making a more timeless gaming experience.
on 22 February 2013
I have to admit I was sceptical when I first started to play it - since the first part is driven by lot's of cutscenes and dialogue. But after you get into the game (going into the 2nd world - so to speak) you realise just how unique this game is you every other JRPG game. The story itself is very engaging and heart-warming and given it was directed by the people that bought you: spirited away and Howls Moving Castle, I can't see this game would be anything but perfect - and certainly comes close to being perfect. I've played lots of JRPGs (including Chronicles of White Knight and Final Fantasy Series), but this one tops them all. If you love RPGs in general (and you know there will be some repeative fighting due to levelling up - which this game is vulnerable too I'm afraid) then certainly buy this game. I bought this game for £37.99 from amazon and it was worth every penny - and glad I pre-ordered it (6 months in advance).
on 29 October 2017
A beautiful, beautiful game. The player takes the role of Oliver, a young boy who discovers a magical world and embarks on an adventure filled with great characters, extraordinary creatures and fantastic landscapes. With great graphics and wonderful music this is an absolute treasure.
on 10 March 2013
I don't generally pre-order games - I prefer to wait until they have been out for a while - but I made an exception here when I heard about a game combining Level Five and Studio Ghibli, both of whom I think are great. So perhaps my expectations were a little too high when I started playing this game as I was hoping it might be one for the ages. However, while it's very, very good, it basically plays like a slightly evolved Dragon Quest (which came out over six years ago) and did not do anything new that I hadn't seen before. This left me feeling a little let down - which may be a little unfair on the game.

While the story is not as good as the best of the Studio Ghibli films, it is still strong, with more originality than your typical RPG. Oliver, the main character, could have become incredibly annoying, but (I think) he never does.

I suspect that if you went into this game managing your expectations better than I did, you will enjoy it a lot more. Go in expecting a well done, well crafted, colourful RPG adventure - just don't assume it will be a classic. It's still very, very good!
on 13 March 2017
Damn, never thought I would like a JRPG this much, but this is absolutely a gem! Played for 64 hours straight when I got it (one completion of story mode).

So hyped for the sequel, coming out sometime this year!