Customer reviews

Get All You Deserve (Bonus One Blu-Ray and 2CD set) [DVD] [2012]
Format: DVD|Change

on 13 December 2017
A friend has been recommending Steven Wilson to me for a while and so I've slowly been picking my way through the back-catalogue. I've liked what I've heard so far, enough to book a ticket on the upcoming tour, but still a little wary not knowing what to expect, so this has been a very timely release.
Absolutely stunned by what I heard and saw. O.K. so the recording is from 2012 but what a show, what sound and what a first class collection of musicians lead by this elfin character who visibly crackles with creative energy. I'm now almost drooling with anticipation for the show at Gateshead Sage and wondering if I've time to upgrade my seat.....
on 22 January 2013
If you are already well-versed in Porcupine Tree then you will need no introduction to Steven Wilson, the genius singer/songwriter/guitarist/keyboardist who has formed his "other" band for this project. The last two PT concert films are brilliant and I bought this on the strength of those, representing largely as the do, two of PT's best albums. So, for me,, I had no idea of the material on this Blu-ray, taken from Steven Wilsons two solo albums but mainly from his most recent release -Grace For Drowning. The concert was filmed in Mexico and an enthusiastic audence immersed themselves in this material and became "one" with the players. A couple of things stand out and need sharing - firstly the very evident entusiasm Wilson himself has for this project and his on-stage collaborators. I have never seen him so immersed and animated and enthused with what he was a part of and what he was hearing before. All his chosen musicians are of course stellar in their own rights but my second point has to be a mention for the incredible presence and ability of Nick Beggs on Bass and Chapman Stick and backing vocals. The man somehow managed to improve on the album versions of almost every song (I subsequently bought the CD's and realised what a difference Beggs made live). I think most prog fans will love this. The sound is lushious and there are no discernible mistakes in the performance. The new material is more jazz-infused but in a fantastic way. Beautiful keyboard and bass and guitar harmonies - intricate and funky freeform bass and drum rhythm sections leading the music in interesting directions. Space being left in the right places, uncluttered and atmospheric, interesting and varied lyrical and musical themes - for example the haunting and catchy "Index" about a quirky collector/hoarder and the lengthy, moody Raider II. In summary there is so much to get your teeth into here, but the overriding message has to be one of excellence. I own a very large collection of music concerts by many luminaries such as Yes, Rush, Pink Floyd, IQ, etc. and this is right up there with the very best. Highly recommended.
11 Comment| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 October 2013
I'm not being facetious - apart from my utter infatuation with Yes, few things have excited me as much as my first tranny-under-the-pillow pirate broadcast of Jimi Hendrix: off the top of my head, Karmakanik's "Wheel Of Life" CD,King Crimson's "Eyes Wide Open" DVD, Dream Theater's "Live At Budokan" DVD, Steve Vai&Co's "G3 Live In Denver" DVD, Threshold's "Critical Energy" DVD...but Stephen Wilson's exquisite DVD is something else. On my system the 96/24 mix is the best sound I have heard since the 1970's brief flirtation with quadrophonics (but it doesn't sound well on systems with small speakers!). I got hooked on DVDs when I started watching the BBC Proms after I became allergic to headphones and bought my first serious NAD set-up (having paid off my mortgage!). As I could no longer attend live concerts, DVDs were really the only way for me to fully appreciate the unbelievable competence of the best musicians (better than concerts for the involving camera-work). With the much-loved NAD replaced by a HD 7.1 system, my old DVDs sound fabulous. I have not bought anything since Cream's joyous RAH come-back in 2005. Just nothing out there I could find!
This, though: the music moves through sound worlds I have only ever dreamed of. Subtle, complex, achingly beautiful. Uncompromising: between the extremes of cool austerity and full-on fusion it weaves a spell that gets deep into what makes this genre the most sublime of sonic experiences.
on 20 January 2013
I know many will think my title is a bit 'over-the-top' but I DO feel this is as good as any bluray live album released to date. Why? Because: 1/Visually it is stunning and the camera angles are expertly shot (not the 'Wayne's World' style 'extreme close-ups' which many rock blurays suffer from for example}; 2/ sound quality is equally stunning {in fact when you take the output of your bluray to a good asychronous dac it is hard to hear much difference between this and the cd version even when played over a good cd transport); and finally of course the music, which includes the performance of the musicians is excellent and IMO better than the originals. If I was to be ULTRA picky I might say that Steven Wilson's voice perhaps wasn't at his best but really that would be splitting hairs because the addition of Marco Minnerman on drums and Adam Holzman on keyboards in particular elevate Steven Wilson's fine solo music to even greater heights. For anyone interested in 'getting into' Steven Wilson's solo stuff, start here!
on 10 January 2015
I was introduced to Steven Wilson only recently by a friend , who played me the 5.1 version of " The raven that refused to sing" , on the back of appreciating that, I purchased this in-concert Blu Ray, given also the commendable reviews it has received.

It is simply stunning , in every way.

The 5.1 audio quality is sublime, the production spot on.( I have a cinema room set up)
The musicians are world class, particularly, for me anyhow, the drummer ( Marco Minnemann), who is sensational.
I am not a huge prog rock fan,I have only really dabbled with Yes previous to this, but if you fancy taking a punt on a relatively obscure , total quality, concert DVD, this production comes wholeheartedly recommended.
on 10 January 2018
Quite simply the greatest live album ever produced. Wilson's finest live line up, man of the match goes to Marco Minneman whose drumming defies belief and adds so much to the original studio versions. "No Part of Me" is breathtaking. Now Mr.Wilson, how about a live album with Guthrie Govan...?
on 8 November 2015
Stunning live concert of Steve Wilson's solo tour recorded at the height of his powers live in Mexico City on the Grace For Drowning Tour in superb Blu-Ray picture and sound quality.
A definite five star must buy but please check out the DVD Arriving Somewhere and Blu-Ray Anesthetize as well, all three are superb.
The best sounding live band of all time these guys are simply superb musicians.
Very, very good a must buy.
on 2 December 2014
This work with DVD, Blu-ray and 2 CDs is very tasteful. Cost is good and I think even an exaggeration be a DVD and a Blu-ray together. The show is in the style of Steven Wilson with the use of good musicians and strong guitar present in his songs. The mysterious tone is SEPRE present. The songs are well played, with no failures. Worth the price and for those who like the style is a good option. Very nice! Note 8.5.
on 22 August 2013
I somehow managed to keep Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree under my radar for all these years. This despite the fact of being somewhat hard core Pink Floyd, Genesis and Yes fan and loving most of the stuff from Rush, King Crimson and the likes.

Since listening to Steven's Raven album on Bluray multichannel a couple of months ago (based on a friend's recommendation) things have started move fast. Soon-to-be-released Porcupine Tree DVD-Audio multichannels are on order, but in the meantime Steven's album and the Get All You Deserve video will need to serve the almost manic need to listen to this GREAT prog rock. And this starts to get serious: almost no day goes by without either listening to Raven or watching Get All You Deserve.

Simply put, Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree are the best thing happened to me in the music scene since teenage years - and those are long gone. I cannot say which I prefer, PT or the other "branch", both are wonderful.

Overall, Get All You Deserve is the best concert film I have seen since Roger Waters' In the Flesh. Yes Symphonic Live gets fairly close, though. Why is this? Because of the absolutely amasing prog rock songs, for sure. I love them all, but if I *had* to choose TOP3 then maybe these: Luminol, Abandoner and Secretarian. Because of the production values. For me, all serious listening (almost) equals to multichannel format and Get All You Deserve does not let you down in that department. The sound may not be perfect 10 but very close to that in any case (OK, maybe the bar is too high here). And because of the truly amazing mucisians. I have never enjoyed so much just watching people play their instruments - very often stunned by their magical skills. Again, wouldn't like to pick anyone, but the drummer Marco Minneman just blows me, and my speakers, away.

This video is a must have. Would definitely recommend the Bluray format, not so much because of the picture quality, but for the sound quality - to be able to enjoy every detail of the awesome 5.1 mix.
on 10 January 2018
Already had the DVD, so was pleased I could buy the CD version. Just fantastic all the way through.
Nobody makes music like Steve Wilson.