3,190
Size: 70S|Change

on 1 February 2013
I checked a lot of prices for this foil and cutter and was slightly apprehensive having ordered one, Could it really be so much cheaper than other retailers and Braun themselves.
Well i should not have worried, the replacement foil and cutter make my shaver shave like new,
I should have changed them a long time ago.
A real bargain,
my Model was 5895 Silver 5000 series, Type 5735.
on 7 June 2010
My Braun Activator razor (8 series) performs quite well except for the foil which generally lasts only four to six months before a hole appears in it and needs replacing. Braun's overly sharp marketing strategy leaves much to be desired given that foils can only be purchased in combined foil and cutter packs. At over £20 a pack shaving becomes expensive when up to three packs may be required in a year. I tried to raise the matter with Braun a couple of years ago but failed to get any response.
on 15 February 2011
Having been a long time and until recently a very satisfied user of Braun I have noticed a steady decline in build quality and rising prices for new cutters and foils. The last foil - bought some six months ago - decided to release both of the blades in the central trimmer while I was shaving and I narrowly escaped slicing my face open. P&G's customer service insisted I send the whole shaver back to them for "inspection" and that it could be up to three weeks before it would be returned. Asked what I do in the meantime elicited regrets but confirmed that was their policy. Refund the cost or replace the foil/cutter - sorry, that was not their policy (yes, that is what they said!!)
Other reviewers have suggested that since P&G took over, the product has been significantly downgraded in quality while prices remain high. I completely agree. Yes, I have bought another foil and cutter but that will be the last. When the next thing fails, I will buy another brand of shaver and place my Braun where it now truly belongs - in the bin.
on 1 September 2014
If you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks for it to be delivered from the other side of the World (by World Buy365 in my case) then this one's a no brainer. Even with £4 postage it's still over £10 cheaper than Boots charge, and a fair bit cheaper than anywhere else online.

By the way, I bought this, the 32S cassette, for my 340 razor. It's identical to the 32B cassette it replaces except for the colour (silver rather than black), despite the razor only listing 32B as a replacement (Braun confirmed there was no difference apart from the colour). Cuts just as well as the original did when it was new.
on 3 October 2011
Braun replacement part numbers are really stupid - they are not exactly what are stamped on the product - I could only identify my product by looking at pictures on the Braun site and looking at the intsruction manual. Really tedious and inconvenient.

OK I just found them all underneath when you raise the long hair cutter - but not after I've messed about for about 3 hours
on 7 October 2009
This came instantly from Amazon and the price was comparable with other sites. I blame Braun for keeping the price high for what it actually is.
Shaver was good once more, but I think I will try a different make when this one dies.
All in all, I think Braun have priced themselves out of the market regarding spares and consumables. Especially their 'shaver wash re-fills'.
on 19 January 2015
This product arrived promptly and well packaged.

Despite Braun's claim that the head needs replacing every 18 months between 9-12 is more accurate under normal usage (I consider my usage normal, Grizzly-Adams types may need more often).
I had noticed the performance of my 340-s wet and dry razor to be deteriorating over the last couple of months and when the amber light came on to indicate a change was required (didn't even know the razor had this, really should read the manual at some point!) I wasn't backward in coming forward to buy this.

The result? A much closer and comfortable shave once more, a veritable new lease of life for the razor and much happy shaving ahead!

Top Tip: The amber change light will stay on when you fit the replacement cartridge, just press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds, it will flash a couple of times then reset to off - I didn't know this (again might be in the manual but seriously, who reads the manual for a leccy razor??)
on 20 May 2014
I was a bit nervous when I ordered this as it was a newer version of the original that came with my shaver. You get two items - the pair of cutters that fit in the center of the shaver, and the foil that goes over the top.

The blades fitted on fine (you need to press down firmly on them to get them to slot home. Mind your fingers!). The foil too fitted perfectly on my series 300. My old foil had cracked (after a drop) so it needed replacing. By the way, you don't just get the foil - you get the whole plastic cartridge into which the foil is already fixed. So all you have to do is press the release buttons on the side of your shaver, remove the old cartridge - remove the old pair of blades, insert the new pair, then put the new cartridge+foil assembly on top. It just takes a couple of clicks.

The only thing different about the new version compared to the older one is that the central cutting edge (between the two foil 'humps') is serrated, whereas in the older design, it was straight. But no problem with the overall comfort - the foil glides smoothly and effortlessly.

Giving it 4 stars instead of 5 because...well, these things are a bit expensive - only marginally cheaper than if you buy them in the shops. So not really value for money. Choose sellers carefully - Mine item arrived several days after expiry of the estimated delivery date.
on 4 October 2004
I had forgotten how close the 8000 shaved till I replaced the foil and cutter. Mine had done about 300 shaves since I bought the original shaver and I have noticed a marked improvement in the quality of the shave after replacing the cutter and foil.
on 18 November 2010
May I add my concerns to those already mentioned, but which bear repeating. Braun's insistence on selling the foil and cutter together does not make sense unless it is a cynical ploy to increase sales of razor accessories. They deserve to be criticised for that. Actually, they deserve to lose sales of their razors, once people realise they are being ripped off when replacing the foil or the cutter and finding they have to buy both. (The same applies to their over-priced and superfluous "clean & renew" system which does nothing more than add to the planet's pollution problem, but that's another story). Like another reviewer, my foil snapped after just a few days' use. Amazon are supplying a replacement. I'll report my experience of the replacement in due course.

Amazon put the replacement in the post and trusted me to return the broken item. They also supplied a pre-paid postage label. Couldn't ask for more. As for the new foil it is identical so I now take extravagant care when removing it. So far, so good but Braun's reputation for excellence is severely tested by this fragile, cheap-looking and expensive bit of kit.

Addendum: Two years on and the foil is still going strong. I've taken to blowing the debris out every couple of days. Every week I charge the razor and give it a clean with the supplied brush. I've long since abandoned the overpriced "clean and renew" system.
44 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse