on 30 January 2013
This product is perfect for what it does. I needed it to extract audio from my Wii U as I use a PC monitor with no speakers and it does just that. Since I struggled to find any solution to my problem I am saying this: Any Wii U owners in the same situation as I am, this works flawlessly.
77 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 May 2014
I have an old surround sound system whose only nod to the digital age is a TOSlink input. I have several HDMI sources running through a hub which, in turn, is connected to my television. While the hub has no issue passing-through the digital surround audio, my television presents a stereo EDID, and therefore only passes stereo to the surround system.

My options were to spend hundreds on a new system (discarding a perfectly functional, high quality older system) that would accept HDMI input, or to find an audio extractor - something I honestly had no idea existed.

Not only can I now get full surround through my old analogue surround system from various digital sources, but I can now have audio without needing to leave the television on (for digital radio or music playback, for instance).

The fact that it provides an appropriate EDID to all sources, operates even without a powered display attached, and extends the life of my beloved surround system (the quality of which is at least as good as several much more expensive modern digital-capable systems) is just brilliant, and would be worth a lot more to me than what I paid.

An absolutely brilliant piece of equipment at a great price that I didn't even know existed before I thought of a need for it.

I am very happy with my purchase indeed. Thank you!
on 28 March 2013
Before you buy this gadget, make sure you fully understand the HDMI standard, in particular EDID.

This product does not spoof the HDMI source into always sending 5.1 audio. Take the example where you want to extract 5.1 audio from an HDMI signal from a DVD player to pass to your ageing receiver which has optical inputs and no HDMI. Typically you'll have an HDMI cable from the DVD player to the ViewHD, then another HDMI cable from the ViewHD to your LCD TV. You'll also have an optical (SPDIF/toslink) cable from the ViewHD to your receiver. When you switch everything on, an HDMI negotiation takes place and because the ViewHD is an EDID passthrough, it is the DVD player and the TV that do the negotiation. The TV, assuming it's a stereo TV, will tell the DVD player that it is 2 channel stereo. To avoid possibly confusing the TV if it sent 5.1 channels digital audio, the DVD player then sends 2 channel digital audio down the HDMI cable, which gets extracted by the ViewHD as 2 channel down the optical cable to your receiver, so you only get stereo at your receiver.

As long as you understand this principal then the device does a great job of extracting the audio, but 4 stars because the description doesn't mention EDID passthrough.
1111 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 June 2014
Perfect solution for the chrome cast if you have a sound system and want audio through that. The reason why I bought this and it works 100%
on 14 March 2013
The raspberry pi makes an awesome xbmc media player however my surround amp does not have HDMI in so I miss the benefits of 5.1 audio on my videos. This device (with a little tinkering on the pi!) can split the video and audio signal and output each to the relevant device :) voila! HD video AND audio! is using openElec on your pi just use the "hdmi_force_edid_audio=1" line in your config.txt when using this device - enjoy!
on 22 April 2013
"Bought this for use with my Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc after reading other reviews. I'm now able to listen to the 5.1 soundtrack via HDMI, after doing the config.txt edit mentioned by Alan O'Sullivan. It works excellently. My only gripe is the postage charge - more than a third of its price! Not good. "
on 5 December 2015
Great piece of kit. Enables me to connect a media streamer, bluray player and Roku to it and output the picture to my TV, and the audio by spdif to my non hdmi Arcam AVR100. The audio output accomodates both Dolby Digital and DTS.

The ViewHD works seamlessy with a Harmony Ultimate Remote. It has auto switching between inputs, but for me that is redundant due to use of the Harmony Remote.

The audio and video outputs look and sound great. It is also solidly built with good looking metal casing. The price is also very fair. It is imported from the US, and delivery took a very reasonable 7 working days.

Having had it for close to a month, I highly recommend it.
on 16 June 2014
Does what it says, passes the picture through to the TV and gives me an optical output to connect to my surround amp so I can enjoy 5.1 surround sound using my Raspberry Pi.

Surprised to discover that it was sent from America. Fairly quick delivery, 7 days after purchase and has a UK plug on the adapter.
on 26 April 2014
I tried to connect a Chromecast to an HDMI to VGA adaptor but this did not work. In any case, of course, I would have no sound since the output device was a projector. However this little box resolved the problem and produces high quality audio. This is a solidly made metal box with gold-plated connectors and works very well indeed. Note that it requires power but is supplied with a powerpack.
on 12 December 2014
Purchased the Hd Audio converter as was recommended by Turtle Beach. So pleased with item and delivery was very quick. Very easy to set up and worked great with Xbox 360e and the turtle beach COD Earforce Phantom wireless headset. Was tested when received and all was great, then was used over Christmas and on and off for two weeks. Went to use after being away for 2 weeks and it does not work atall. Have tested the two Hdmi cables,optical cable and power adapter and all work but the signal for the Xbox through the converter has no signal. Have also tried another hdmi cable and nothing working. The Xbox gets normal signal from hdmi cable direct from tv to Xbox but not when use the hdmi audio converter, as need the hdmi audio converter for wireless headset to work now can't use the headset either for Xbox. Only purchased and received before Christmas and can't believe after working for few weeks now don't !!