on 18 August 2013
Wow, what a find! The Italian Job beans were roasted on 2 August and arrived 48 hours later. In fact they may have arrived quicker had I not been out at the time of first delivery attempt by Royal Mail. The aroma is/was to die for, it filled the air even before opening the parcel bag in the small parcel collection office and I rushed home to try them. They were roasted to perfection! My De'Longhi KG79 grinder ground them perfectly for my De'Longhi EC850.M coffee machine. The espresso had a lovely thick crema and the coffee tastes as good if not better than anything I've ever tried in the UK, Italy and Brasil. I cannot recommend the Italian Job coffee beans highly enough. I just hope Rave continue supplying them for years to come as I see no point buying anything else especially if the service I received is anything to go by!
on 24 April 2016
A delicious blend of coffee, the bean has a slightly oiliness to it so I advise you grind this perhaps a tad courser than you would normally.

It has a clear date on it showing when it was roasted (key for the real coffee connoisseur). On my packed it was roasted within a month of it arriving at my door. The (relative) freshness in comparison to other beans out there really shined through in the flavours in the mug.

In my opinion this knocks the socks off anything you'll find in (your usual) supermarket. It's a big bag but you'll be surprised how quickly you get through it.

Little Tip: I keep my beans in the freezer, it seems to keep them fresher for longer
on 6 April 2014
I bought these coffee beans on the strength of the other reviews here and elsewhere. (and because I've heard good things about Rave Coffee)

The blend itself is very good and the beans were roasted not so long ago. The ones I received however were not quite as fresh as I would have liked, having been roasted 3 weeks prior to me receiving them. Most people would agree that beans are at their peak somewhere between 5 and 20 days after roasting. This means that while my first shot was very good, by the time I get anywhere near finishing this enormous bag, they will long have gone stale... The delivery was very quick so this can't have been the issue. Perhaps I should have made enquiries as to the best time to order beforehand. They are still much better than anything you would find in a supermarket. (and sadly, many cafés)

That's the objective part over, now on to the more personal bit:

If you are the kind of person who enjoys drinking coffee in Starbucks, then these beans are for you. Don't hesitate to buy! You will not be disappointed! With the right care and attention, (or some good coffee making equipment) these beans will transport you right there. If, however, you prefer the coffee in Costa, or in Café Nero, or even in a nice Italian restaurant somewhere, then you may want to think twice before ordering these beans. I personally found the title a bit misleading as to me these beans just don't taste like what I expect from an 'Italian' blend.

The crema these beans produce is excellent, but this comes at a cost, because one of the reasons for this is the use of Robusta beans in the blend, which also give the shot more bitter tones due to the higher caffeine content. (I was absolutely buzzing after trying these)

Personally, I found that the flavour of this blend reminded me a bit too forcefully of Starbucks, and for me, that isn't such a good thing. All in all however, personal objections aside: The blend as a say is very good, well balanced, produces good crema, and would ideally appeal to somebody who is fond of Starbucks. If you manage to get them fresh, then even better, perhaps I was just unlucky at the time I chose to order. (but hence the 4 stars) And lastly, don't be misled by the title, these are the kind of 'Italian' beans you would expect to find in an American café. (I suppose I should have guessed)

UPDATE 22/06/14 - I've been trying various coffee beans for a while now and these are still some of the nicest beans I have yet managed to get my hands on - just don't buy the huge packet unless it's for an office! I'm tempted to up the review to 5 stars...
on 20 April 2016
I took advice from other reviewers and ordered from rave directly via the 'other sellers' section, to ensure freshly roasted beans, and I wasn't disappointed! The beans were with me within 48 hours, and had been roasted only the day before. They produce a good strong flavour which is very smooth, and the price is excellent value for money. I have tried pact, who charge £7 for around 200g, and buying direct from Harris & Hoole, which is a similar price (albeit incredible coffee), and around £12 for a kilo is simply unbeatable. I will definitely be ordering again.
on 29 March 2014
I like but don't love... I expected it to be really strong and it's not. I would not buy again.
on 4 September 2016
It's a dual review, for me and my missus, both of us love coffee. So based strictly on our taste preference, after almost two weeks of trying this we came to the conclusion that for us, this coffee is "meh". Don't let yourself put off by our review, because you might like this coffee. But as I said, above, our review is "meh". Took time to write this as I appreciate the effort put in by a brand into creating a special blend. But this is not for us.
on 13 April 2016
I've tried many beans since getting my delonghi bean to cup coffee machine but i keep coming back to rave . Always tastes great , not bitter at all .

The only thing i would like to see is smaller sizes (say 500gr) available through amazon prime . 1Kg is to much , I find that after 3 weeks the beans loose there freshness and taste even though they are stored in an airtight container in the fridge , At this point i still have roughly 400 grams left. Great if you drink a lot i guess but not for 1-2 cups a day like myself.
on 30 July 2016
Little disapointed about this one. I try to vary my orders of coffee to try different brands and blends etc so recently ordered this. I found the taste to lack a bit of punch and has a slightly bitter after taste compared with other coffees. Don't get me wrong, I still liked it, I just wasn't overly impressed considering it's marketing itself in a different league.
on 12 April 2014
The beans had been roasted few weeks before arriving. They small terrific, and the taste is almost as great - in the beginning. Because the bag is so big I put most of them in the freezer and it sucked the life out of these beans. I guess you should use the beans ASAP after opening in order to enjoy their full value. Not as strong as indicated in the sticker.
on 29 September 2016
I like to try out different coffee beans but often return to Rave Coffee. This Italian job is nice and strong without being too bitter and I love it. At £11.40 delivered for 1Kg, this is seriously good value. Fill your boots.