on 10 October 2013
This book had me from go, it took 5 hrs of reading but I couldn't put it down!
Nancy straight has wrote a book that combines mythology, magic, romance, heartbreak & action and is unique to all books I've read as it combines everything I enjoy reading!
Highly recommended & on that note i'm off to enjoy book 2 in this Touched series
on 4 September 2013
Really unique story the book was well written and I loved the characters. A very pc book with no rude bits fab if you like paranormal with romance. Great start to a fab new series.
on 15 August 2012
I'm often hesitant to pick up books by self published authors, having had some bad experience with great stories being ruined due to bad editing and research. But I know Nancy is good friends with one of my favourite indie authors, Shannon Dermott, so when I seen it on R2R, I grabbed a copy.

This is my first time reading one of Nancy's books and, I'm impressed. The editing was exemplary, the characters were well defined, it was well paced and imaginative. I look forward to reading more books from Nancy.

Camille has never met her dad because her mom would never tell her who he was, until she was on her death bed. When Camille calls him, she is surprised to be welcomed into his family completely by his wife and five sons. She thinks she has landed in a dream world until she learns that her life is in danger.

She is a centaur, and has been kept hidden by magic for the last twenty two years, but the magic died with her mother, so she is now on the radar of her enemies. Her mother never told her about her heritage so she has to try to learn the centaur way of life and how to use the magic she has been gifted with. She owes a blood debt to the man her mother refused to marry by running away and she is wanted by the lost herd.

This was refreshingly different. Centaurs are something completely new to me, and I loved the world that Nancy built around them. Camille is a very likable character and there's a great bunch of secondary characters which really add to this story.

This has something for the romantics too, though I don't think Camille's choice would have been mine. There's no love triangle or insta love.

The next installment is this book is based in Dublin, Ireland, so I couldn't not pick it up. There are some loose ends in this book too that I'm really looking forward to tying up.
on 9 January 2017
I wanted to write a short review here, but I have no idea where to start with all the problems I had with this book.

For some quick points:

- Everyone in Cami's life is perfect. She discovers her perfect father, perfect 5 half-brothers that are indistinguishable from each other, perfect Gretchen(the mother to her half-brothers), perfect house, perfect car, perfect friends, etc.

Everyone is rich, healthy, happy, friendly, welcoming, with great jobs. She's the hottest thing on the marriage market and has guys lining up(perfect guys) to give her their husband resumes. It's all so ridiculous I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop, but it turns out it's all 100% legit.

- Any possible problem Cami runs into is quickly dealt with so that faces very little adversity.

- Worst case of insta-love(Drake catches Cami when she trips and is head over heels ready to propose in love with her).

- The antagonist is a non-issue for most of the book and when she does decide to be a nuisance, it makes no sense. She tells Cami she has to marry a person that Cami had already agreed to marry in a few years. Why did she even bother getting involved?

- Any slightly interesting element was either forgotten or fell flat when revealed. Cami finds a diary from her mom and reads all of two short entries and we're not told the rest of it. Cami's dead mom is desperate to tell her a secret that she won't tell anyone who can actually communicate with her. Then at the very end when Cami finally can talk to her the mom doesn't tell her the secret and instead uses that brief moment to say something that no one cares about. Then she fades before saying the important thing.

- In short, this book was boring, underwhelming, full of issues, and seems to be written as a fantasy-fulfillment type story(for readers who want to dream about falling into the "perfect" life).
on 13 December 2012
I absolutely loved this book. It had me captivated right from the start i think Nancy is an amazing writer and would like to thank her for the opportunity for reading Blood Debt as i won a advanced copy. I would sooo recommend this book and also Nancy's Destiny series there all amazing books.I really can't wait for book two in the touched series. I love Cami i think she is a very strong loving character who will have a lot of obstacles and problems along her way ,i hope she gets to stay with Drake and be reunited with her family ,especially Bianca and Gage .This was a pleasure to read.
on 19 January 2014
In a genre gone mad about vampires and shifters - and yes, I love them too! - it makes such a nice change to read something that steps away from the 'norm' and takes a more unusual look at things. This is what Nancy Straight does with her Blood Debt. This is the first book so it has a lot of groundwork to do so that you know what is happening. Nancy does this whilst also making it seamlessly part of the story, so you pick up the details without even being aware of it.

The other thing that I have enjoyed as a stand-out in this book, is there is no love-triangle. Gasp, shock, horror! How on earth can a book make it without a love-triangle? Easy - make it a love-square instead!!! This was wonderful to read and there were some real LOL moments as Cami is fighting her guilt and Bianca is trying to encourage her without letting her know that she knows.

The family relationships were quirky and loveable, in most cases. Some were just downright weird. And in the middle of this, you've got Cami. She isn't sure who or what she is, why people seem to have high expectations of her and why she feels like she just isn't who they think she is. Out of her brothers, Beau is my favourite but of course, that's the way it's been written so far.

If you want to read a book about Centaurs, Greek mythology, fantasy then this is the book for you. Personally, I can't wait to get Book 2 and see what happens. There are 4 books in this series and Book 4 is due to be released at the end of January. Definitely recommended!
on 15 August 2012
I have been a fan of Nancy Straight's since I read Meeting Destiny, the first book in her series before this. I knew that as soon as this was published, I would have to own a copy. What I didn't know at the time of Nancy writing it was that she'd have a competition to name the book once it was finished.
Nancy told me about the competition and I can honestly say, I am useless at thinking of things like book titles, it's just not something I am good at.
But when I read the synopsis for the book, there was something that stuck in my head and refused to move aside for anything else. That thing? Blood Debt. I'm not particularly clever for naming it that. Read the synopsis and tell me it isn't the first thing that jumps out at you?! But, the competition went on and I couldn't come up with any others. The more and more I thought about it, the more I realised I wanted Blood Debt to be chosen.
Goodness knows how Nancy chose the winning title from all the great ones that people suggested. But when she told me I'd won, I was over the moon! So I won an early copy of the book for being the winner. Then I went on to win another copy in a blog competition she was having. So I am giving that copy away. [Be sure to check back next week for the giveaway].

BLOOD DEBT is the first book I have known and read about Centaurs. I'm not saying it's the only one on the market, but it's the first one I've come across. That's one of the reasons why I was so eager to read it. It was something fresh and new.
Having previously loved Nancy Straight's 'Destiny Trilogy', I knew it was going to be something amazing, little did I know quite how much.
Nancy's previous trilogy was known for giving me a book-hangover. There was something about it that meant I couldn't start my next book right away. So, I guess I should have expected something similar this time, but Nancy had promised me, no book-hangover and no cliff-hanger ending.
Having finished the book last night (or technically this morning as it kept me up til 1:28am), I had to wonder whether Nancy was either A) telling me a bit of a fib, B) hadn't read the book she had written, or C) just didn't know the power she wields over her readers. Though I came to the conclusion it was C) she doesn't know the power she wields over us readers.
Maybe you aren't as much of a sensitive ninny as me and you won't cry like a baby or get as sucked into the book as I did. But be warned, if you are sensitive, this book is likely to make you cry like a girl (yes, I know I am a girl but still). It played havoc with my emotions and my hormones. I got to a point where I had to put it down and walk away. But I'll tell you more about that as my review goes on.

On to my actual review.

BLOOD DEBT is the story of 22 year old Camille Benning. She's just lost her mother, Angela, after her being ill for a while. Just because it wasn't any surprise when she died, didn't mean it hurt any less.
For the last 22 years, it's always been just Camille and Angela. Her father wasn't in the picture and nor had Angela ever wanted him to be. When Camille would ask about him, Angela would always reply "Your father was a wonderful man. We had a few magical days together, he left me with the most amazing gift to remember him by."
But just ten short minutes before she died, Angela told Camille that he lives in Charleston and his name is William Strayer.

After losing her mother, Camille wasn't sure whether she could contact her father. It was a few weeks later that she gathered the courage to sit and call him.

It was Gretchen, William's wife, who answered the phone. Camille asked for William Strayer, so Gretchen fetched him to the phone. When Camille asked if he'd known Angela Benning, he told her he didn't, so she wasn't sure she had the right man after all.
But further on in the conversation, Camille told him that she was his daughter and William asked her to travel to Charleston to meet him. It came as a shock that after only a brief conversation, he would want her to get on a plane to go to see him.

Her best friend Daniel wasn't sure she should go. He was only concerned about his best friend's safety. But Camille said that it was her father she was going to see and was sure she'd be fine.

Once in Charleston, she claimed her luggage and saw a young man with her name on a board in front of him. He introduced himself as Brent, her brother. Not only did she have a father and a step-mother, she now had a brother. But the surprises didn't stop there. There was also Bart, Ben, Bruce and Beau, also her brothers!

Once Camille meets William, he insists on her calling him Will. He seems to be a very rich man from what she can gather. He and Gretchen have a beautiful house, with many bedrooms for the boys. They bought the boys all matching BMW's worth a pretty penny each. Everything seems a little too good to be true.
Camille meets Gretchen and can't believe that, of all of them, she is okay with her being in her home. But she couldn't be more wrong. Gretchen couldn't be more welcoming and if anyone, she is the one who tries to convince Camille to stay on with them for more than the mere few days she had come for.

Upon agreeing to stay for longer, Gretchen, Will and the boys are all overjoyed. After all, Camille is family.

What happens from here on in is where it all gets a bit strange for her.

I won't take you through a play by play of events, it's a journey that you as the reader need to undertake in it's entirety when you pick up the book. I'll give you a few bits, but I don't want you to end up shouting at me for spoilers. This is a book I could talk about for EVER, and I really need someone who's read it so I can talk about what happened and why I have the book-hangover that I do.

Camille found out that she was the daughter of a full blood Centaur and Centauride. Her family warned her that she may be the blood debt that is required to pay in her mother's stead. The way that relationships happen in their world is unusual to say the least. You'll find out more about it when you read it, but basically the female (Centauride) chooses her mate (Centaur) and they are then mated for life. Camille's mother was in such a relationship but before they could get married, Angela ran away and had Camille. Since then, they were protected by magic so that they couldn't be found.This meant Angela owed a blood debt, but since she has passed away, it falls to Camille to pay.

This was a lot for Camille to take in. She thought there was something odd going on when everything felt too good to be true, but she couldn't have guessed that this was the secret they were keeping.

There's also the fact that a Centaur never cheats. Once they have been chosen, they are mated for life and so never have relations with anyone else. But Drake is mated to Bianca, yet he and Camille have feelings for each other. What will become of their forbidden love?

Then there's the Grandmother-from-hell, Zandra. She wants Camille to live with her and do things her way. She doesn't care for what Camille wants, all she cares about is marrying her off to Gage Richardson. It doesn't matter whether that's what Camille and Gage want or not. Things will be done Zandra's way.

Will Camille ever escape the confines of her Grandmother's home? Will she ever be free to do what she wants? Will her forbidden love with Drake ever be allowed? These are all questions you must hunt the answers to.

Like I said earlier, I have been a fan of Nancy Straight for a while now and I know I will love every book she ever writes. But when she promised me the "no book-hangover" I took her at her word. How mistaken was I?!
I love the way Nancy writes. She cares about where her characters end up, but she also cares about what the reader wants to happen. When I first picked the book up, I knew it was going to be a story of forbidden love. what I didn't bank on was the kidnapping and the events surrounding Camille. Nor did I count on how much they would hurt me, heart, mind and soul.

This story is tantamount to being at the pinnacle of a roller coaster, blindfolded. You know you are at the highest point, so all you can do is drop, but you don't realise how far you have to fall. It was a roller coaster of emotions, from happiness to sadness, from elation to guilt.
I was 35 pages from the end and had to put the book down. For one, I couldn't see through the ocean of tears. For another, I didn't want to know how the book ended. It was a soul-destroying event that made me contemplate quitting it right there and then and going to bed. I'll share my Goodreads status with you...

"I am in so much pain I have had to close the book - I can't tell you why I hurt but oh my god, Nancy - you promised me and now I am in bits. You tore my heart out, jumped up and down on it for an eternity - then you squeezed it, battered bruised defeated and useless back in my chest."

Quite how it had gone from my earlier joy and loving this book, I can't tell you. But I truly thought I would have to give up. Eventually, I steeled myself for the last 35 pages, resigned to the fact that my heart was broken and that Nancy had told me a bit of a... let's say untruth.
I am so glad that I took 20 minutes or so to compose myself and finish the book. This was my final Goodreads status...

"Yet another of Ms Straight's books I finished in a day. Turns out, I had to pick it back up and finish it because it tugged at my broken heart. Glad I did, because some kind of magic made my heart beat again. Thank you Ms Straight for what qualifies as another book hangover."

So as you can see, I went through a whole range of emotions, but the final one was happiness.

I hope after reading this, you want to know what all the fuss was about and want to pick up a copy for yourself. I promise that even though you'll go through a myriad of emotions, you'll come through it on the other side just like I did.
If you've read my review and it's put you off reading the book because you'll be heartbroken, I swear to you that you'll get better if you pursue it to the end. I know I couldn't see a light at the end of the tunnel but now I am through it on the other side and can see why Nancy did what she did and I am truly grateful to her for drawing me in and making me love these characters and their story.

As it is, I cannot wait for the next book in the Touched series. I know there's going to be ups and downs. But if anything, this book taught me to take the rough with the smooth and that though there will be highs and lows, there will be a light at the end of every tunnel. There is a reason for everything Nancy writes.

I love how the characters grow and develop and I can't wait to see where she takes them in future. Camille and Drake really deserve a happy ending after all they have been through so far, so I can only imagine by the end of the series, they will have earned that happily ever after for sure.
If there's one thing I always love about Nancy's books, it's that the characters are real. They aren't flimsy cardboard characters that are going through the motions. They are 100% real and they have to work hard for their happy endings, it's not just handed on a silver platter.

I get the feeling I am probably babbling now. So I will leave you with one more thought. If you love stories about forbidden love, then this book is for you. You will kick yourself for not reading it! Don't miss out!

Thank you Nancy for sending me this ARC. Thank you for Camille and Drake, but also for all the other people in the book, except for Zandra. Okay so I guess I know why she had to exist but between her and Kyle Richardson, I'd had my fill and wanted to reach in and rip their throats out
on 5 July 2013
Here we meet a 22 year old girl name Camille, who has lived with only her mother her entire life, that is of course until her mum dies of the horrible illness, cancer.

Camille never knew of her father, only that he was alive.

Camille always badgered her mum into sharing information about him, to much prevail.

Her mums lasts words to Camille, (which were her actual last breaths) was the name, location and contact number of her father.

It would seem that Camille is no ordinary young female adult, and is in fact "special" as in a "Centuaride" and you are taken along for the ride too, as we divulge into the ancestry of Camille's heritage and the MAGIC behind it all!

So most of you are probably thinking, "What the hell am I on? and what am I talking about Centuaride?", let me explain a little bit about them, Centauride's are the female version of a Centaur. Now I know what your thinking, " What the hell is a Centaur", well If you would bare with me I was just getting to that part....Geesh, give a woman a break!

The belief is that Centaurs have a half-human and half-horse composition and has led many writers to treat them as liminal beings, caught between the two natures, embodied in contrasted myths, both as the embodiment of untamed nature, as in their battle with the Lapiths (their kin), or conversely as teachers, like Chiron.

Centaurs are thought of in many Greek myths as wild as untamed horses.

In this book that isn't the case, A Centaur/Centuaride are the descendants of Chiron, the god of Centaurs but without the half-horse perspective.

Female centaurs are extremely rare among their kind, as they hold psychic powers like mind reading and the ability to interact with ghosts.

This book is certainly action packed and full of HOT guys, swooning over the damsel in distresses!

Camille becomes stuck between something forbidden! .

I don't think we would have a story line any other way!

At some stages of the book Camille's character did slightly start to irritate me a little bit due to the fact she was so naive, stubborn & constantly questioning every little thing! Nonetheless I loved this book!

I would definitely recommend to you all to read!

I look forward to reading the second book to this installment "Centaur Legacy"
on 7 October 2013
I was drawn to this book after foraging through the free ebooks on Amazon. The description of this novel had me interested enough that I figured it was worth checking out. I'm glad I did.

I delved into the book expecting the Centaurs to be of the 4 legged variety (which is what initially drew my interest). However, the lack of four legs didn't keep me too disappointed, and I proceeded to read on and really get into the story.

My only criticism is that the big reveal happened kind of quickly. The bombardment of information about Centaurs in general could have benefited from being drawn out a bit more if only to feel like it wasn't a quick listing of what makes Centaurs awesome. I soon forgave this after finding the characters and plot interesting.

The story is in danger of becoming lost in a 'true love at first sight' kind of story (which I'm not really a fan of), but I still found it compelling enough to buy the next 2 books in the series - which means the author is doing something right.
on 21 September 2013
Really liked this book, some really great new idea's twisted in with the old cliche's which made them all exciting again..
Im not really great with words, or reviews so all i can say is that i enjoyed this so much i bought the rest in the series the next day.. The characters were fun and believable and i was right there with them the whole way through - for me that is important, some authors overdo the details sometimes - which annoys me as i like just enough detail to use my own imagination for the rest, it makes me feel a part of the story - like an unseen stalker of the main characters following them around LOL
this story however, let me use my imagination.. i really liked the backing story for this too it wasnt as 'out there' as others are, subtle..
I knocked a star off because the main character annoyed me when she wasnt vocal to the situations people where putting her in, if you cant fight then you sure as heck would go kicking and screaming curses LOL
Thanx x