Top positive review
101 people found this helpful
Form and function in one!
on 27 February 2013
This cordless cleaner from AEG has a trick up its sleeve - it's actually two cleaners in one. Firstly, it's an upright stick cleaner as well as a handheld vacuum - the handheld unit simply lifts out of the "stick" and is ideal for cleaning the car or upholstery etc.
The AG 935 is a well-designed and made product weighing in at just over 4Kg which feels very light for a vacuum cleaner. This cordless cleaner gives you two charging options - you can either wall mount the charger or use the supplied charger stand which simply extends the wall mounted charger into a freestanding charger/stand. There is storage for the excess cord and storage in the charging stand for the dusting brush and crevice nozzle which fit the handheld unit. As I see it the pros and cons of this cordless stick cleaner are;
- Light and ready to use - if you keep it on its charging stand ready to go you'll probably end up using it more than your main vacuum.
- It is easy to steer, and in stick mode, it has a revolving brush head which moves through 180 degrees. The brush head has a built in cleaning mechanism. You just press a foot lever and the brush cleans itself of debris including hairs etc.
- Suction is powerful for a cordless machine and there is a useful suction control near to the on and off switch.
- Battery life is good - it can do the stairs and hall in a largish house on one battery charge. There is also a charge indicator light which shows the charge and blinks when the battery is running low.
- The "pop out" handheld is very effective and the release buttons are high up the stick so you don't have to bend down very far. The "pop out" is also great for the car, and, so much better than those portable car vacuums.
- It has powerful "Audi style" LED lights that really show up the dirt and dust.
- The cleaner is bagless and uses two filters which can be cleaned and reused.
- Cleaning the dust receptacle can be a bit fiddly but you get the hang of it.
- Before first use you have screw the handle into position - this is something you only do once in the lifetime of the unit - you just have to be careful to avoid pinching the power cable. This job only takes about 30 seconds but I mention it as other reviewers have referred to it.
- Unless it's on the charging stand the stick cleaner doesn't stand up on its own, but it does have a special rubber strip on it designed to ensure it doesn't slip over when leant against a table etc.
- Nothing else I can see at the moment - if any problems arise I'll update this review.
There are four identical models in the range (except for colour) as follows; the AG932 in Cassis; AG933 in Aqua Blue; AG 934 in Olive Green and the AG 935 in black. All these models use NiCad battery technology. The next step up is the 940 series which are visually/functionally similar but use more advanced Lithium Ion battery technology. There are three models in the 940 series; the AG941 in Chocolate Brown; AG 942 in Clear Blue and the AG943 in Watermelon Red. Lithium Ion batteries charge more quickly, last a bit longer, are lighter and suffer less from "memory effect" - the price premium over the 930 series is around £30-£40.
In summary, this is a very well-designed and made product that works well, and, which you'll probably end up using much more than your main vacuum. We've found it so useful for dealing with crumbs after guests go and clearing up after workmen etc. plus the handheld unit cleans the car interior so well. Recommended.