Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
BitDefender Internet Security 2013 - 3 User 1 Year (PC) tops computer magazine PCPro's A list for having the best protection against malware of all the internet security suites currently available, and PCPro also like its comprehensive set of features. That's enough for me to choose this anti-virus software suite. The main downside is that Bitdefender hogs PC resources a bit, although it also has both a laptop and gaming mode to streamline things when required. For us that's acceptable as Bitdefender offers the best malware protection at present. The Bitdefender user interface isn't very intuitative, but it is easy enough once you get used to it. I did switch off BitDefender's default 'scan CD/DVDs' and 'Scan USB data sticks' on insert though, as otherwise the antivirus-scan freezes the disk access for ages.

This cheaper Bitdefender AntiVirus lacks internet protection suite extras like a dedicated two way Firewall, parental control and cloud 'anti-spam'. It does have the full anti-virus and anti-spyware, online browser protection, 'Safepay' online payment protection, 'autopilot' safety decisions that are made automatically, and things like warning you if your passwords are weak or a Windows update needs installing. The Windows firewall works with this Bitdefender Antivirus, which is fine for non critical PCs like netbooks and basic PC/laptops. As well as the alternative better featured BitDefender Internet Security 2013 suite, there's also BitDefender Total Security 2013 - 3 User 1 Year (PC) that adds in a few more extras over Internet Security 2013: Laptop/PC device anti-theft tracking, secure on-line cloud storage, and a 'tune-up' utility. Occasionally Bitdefender on-line offers this Total version at the same price as the other less featured versions: I paid £29 for 3 PC licences of Bitdefender Total Security 2013 (with the full price quoted as £59). This listing is for only one PC licence rather than the three PC licence packs, and so is relatively expensive for both features and licence cost per PC.

Bitdefender anti-virus and Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 all loaded and ran with no problems on our three Windows 7 64-bit gaming PCs and our fast Windows 8 Viao laptop - on install it auto-updated to itself to the latest version. I manually uninstalled the old antivirus security suite beforehand. Our PCs previously ran Norton 360, and Bitdefender 2013 seems no worse in terms of PC speed. Bitdefender is a Romanian company with subsidiaries in the USA, UK, Spain, and Germany. As an alternative to Bitdefender, PCPro recommend 'Avast Free Antivirus', which offers the best protection of all the free antivirus software.
VINE VOICEon 11 July 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have used many anti-virus software packages over the years, since the Internet came into being.

The BitDefender is the latest for me to try. I really like the interface, very intuitive.

Once installed and updated I let it do a deep scan which took four hours, but I have 4 TBytes internal and 3 TBytes external storage.

It found 21 problems which it said were minor, and cleaned. They were all cookies.

It runs in the background with little impact on my system.

The SafePay was disconcerting the first time it started, it recognised I was logging onto my bank, both screens went went black then a logon window appeared on its own. Once I got over the shock of the blank screens, I was comfortable in using my bank account knowing I was safe from key loggers etc.

Autopilot mode is the default. Basically, BitDefender sets itself up and runs in the background, monitoring file access, email, web browsing.

Excellent software.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I had been looking for a competent security system that was windows 8 compatible for ages.

I hate windows 8, i have to say and if there was an option to downgrade i would but anyway.

Windows 8 just has security essentials built in and everyone says oh that's enough to protect your system, that's a lie, because within weeks i had 4 trojan virus's, so much malware and spyware it bogged half my system memory and so i was super excited to get this.

Went on sweet as a nut, but then i am a bit computer savvy and knew what to do, i wouldn't recommend newbies doing this by themselves unless they have a bit of computer knowledge as all the jargon can be a bit confusing.

All in all i am happy with it, but if i run into any problems i will update my review in due time.
on 9 February 2013
Bought this product after many years of using F-Secure and recently Microsoft Security Essentials. I can say that it gave me a piece of mind after MSE due to MSE not being able to clean the viruses it found. Uses less resources compared to F-Secure. I recommend it to everyone.

UPDATE: If you are using the product in Auto Pilot mode, it automaticaly updates itself every hour. If you do not have a strong computer this can be a pain due to heavy resource use. The solution is to use the product in User Mode and cancel the auto updates. Dont worry, every 24 hours you will be reminded to update the product.
VINE VOICEon 24 September 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My recent purchase of a Sony VAIO Pentium I3 laptop, running Windows 8, came with a month's free MacAfee antivirus protection.

While being extremely pleased with the laptop I discovered that the MacAfee Firewall caused me to somehow lose my internet connection at regular 10-20 minute intervals. My frustration and subsequent internet checks discovered this to be a common problem. Hence I removed the trial version of MacAfee and installed the complete edition of Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2013.

The installation process was simple and straightforward. Arriving with a leaflet explaining the installation procedure, the process of installing the disc and following the on-screen prompts, together with the download of updates, took a total of 30 minutes.

No problems were experienced during the installation process. Subsequent running and use of my laptop with the Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2013 has been problem free. My laptop has not experienced any slowdown in operation and the regular security checks, all taking place without prompting. That said, the level of protection can be set by the user, and the scanning and update processes can be set to either run quietly in the background, or turned on/off manually when desired.

The only point of concern that has arisen since installing this product, was when opening my laptop last week I discovered the Bitdefender display facility warning me that my laptop had one serious issue that needed attention. Bitdefender's display also advised me that the problem could not be disinfected or removed, and that I needed to seek online assistance. This troubled me somewhat, but after following the link provided I was basically advised to perform a full system scan. This took over two and a half hours and some 31 issues were located, although all were just cookies, except one serious sounding Trojan. All the cookies were easily disinfected/removed. One click in following the Bitdefender advice was sufficient to place the file infected by the Trojan into quarantine. No other issues have been experienced to date.

I have used a plethora of other antivirus products over the years, including Norton, Kaspersky and MacAfee. To date I can honestly say that Bitdefender compares favourably with them all, and I have no hesitation in recommended it. Thank you for your time.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This product shares many features with Bitdefender internet Security, which I have also reviewed. The anti virus does not give you firewall or parental controls, but Windows Firewall is pretty good these days, and if you don't have kids (or don't want to monitor their web use) then that will not be a big factor.

Previously I have tried Norton, AVG and FSecure, so I have a reasonable knowledge of what to expect in an Anti-virus product.

When I installed bitdefender internet security on my PC, I had problems with installation. I discovered in the process of resolving them that (a) before you start, run Windows Update, just to avoid any danger of tripping up Bitdefender; (b) install from an administrator level account.

Once installed, Bitdefender is actually an excellent piece of software. The cosmetics are all very "aerospace" - all gunmetal black and macho. I installed it on my father-in-law's Windows Vista PC. With Windows 7, you get a "gadget" to sit in the corner of your screen, but not apparently with Vista. I believe microsoft disabled it owing to security issues. This gadget is a roundel showing you firewall activity level, virus check activity level and a red number for any alerts you might need to look at. In the middle is a red/amber/green indicator telling you whether virus definitions have been updated recently. in Vista you can see the same info by launching the Bitdefender info panel from the task bar icon.

The philosophy of Bitdefender is hands-off, or what they call "auto pilot". This means that for the novice (or the not especially paranoid) there is absolutely ZERO set-up. The software will automatically update, run scans in the background, etc. Having checked through (because I AM paranoid) I was pleased to see that most setting are at a reasonable level. You can push them higher, but then you will get a lot more alerts.

For gamers, there is an automatic "game mode", which prevents the software excessively scanning all the game traffic on the network. I have not noticed any bad effects on game slow-down since installing Bitdefender.

Finally, you get an additional application called Safepay. This automatically detects when you visit, for example, your bank website. It then offers to launch the site inside its own special browser, which includes additional encryption, etc. This would be useful for laptop users who want to connect to their bank over public networks, as it should prevent anyone tapping in to your communications. if you wish you can also use it for shopping sites.

There is a little delay on starting Windows, and you can see in the Task Manager that this is due to Bitdefender running up, but nothing worse than any other security suite I have used (and better than many).

So, apart from taking one star off for the installation problems, this software gets a big thumbs-up from me. It is particularly good for anyone who wants to take precautions, but who otherwise is not interested and wants to just leave it all to the software. You will definitely be a lot better protected than without, especially if you are on an older operating system like Windows Vista or earlier.
VINE VOICEon 2 September 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When independent site AV-Test rated this highly and put my default-loved Windows Defender (on Win 8) low, I knew I had to jump.

Though not seen on high street shelves, this core features edition of Bitdefender suites is perfect for those who just want the essentials of antivirus and anti-malware, plus a few extras.

Installation was easy as it can be performed in a few clicks, and it'll even download the latest version at that time; performing a scan then too.

Though my computer is very modern, it doesn't seem to be hogging any noticeable resources. Start-up and shutdown times seem the same and I can do tasks while it scans. Bing searches are marked with green ticks to let you know if a site's safe.

A full scan took about an hour, though some subsequent scans should be shorter as unchanged files will be skipped sometimes to be speedy.

The desktop widget is more inspired than just a tray icon and is an easy way of seeing system status. Though the futuristic black dialogue boxes could be more streamlined, it's not hard to navigate through them.

For a 1yr, 1 PC license this is quite competitively priced.

The only small negative is I don't really like Safepay (which can be turned off). I prefer using modern IE now and the Safepay browser is a desktop mode-like one, and it's a bit of overkill as most banking and shopping sites are secure. Other than that, top marks from me.
VINE VOICEon 25 February 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a superb anti virus protection package.

It acts quickly and doesn't bog down, or even grind to a halt in some cases, your computer.

It has very easy to understand navigation pages and eye pleasing graphics and ensures real time treat protection with a virtually invisible footprint and nearly zero resource usage.

It does not interrupt other programmes with popups, doesn't weigh down your system with unnecessary add-ons and background activity and destroys threats quickly and quietly as you work, you will hardly notice that it's doing it's job.

It does all the usual stuff one would expect such as figting the war against viruses, trojans, worms, rootkits, polymorphic and information attacks.

It keeps out spywear, password and indentity theft attempts. It neutralises tracking softwear, botnets, keyloggers, adwear and backdoors.

It even provides first rate protection against crimewear, ransomewear, scarewear and scumwear all designed to embezzle you out of your money, well this product hammers them all.

t's apity though that it only protects one computer rather than the usual three, but that's a minor flaw.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
VINE VOICEon 7 October 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This won't be staying on my PC for very long. The installation process is tedious. Several times I'm told "all is fine", when there are at least 3 updates to be installed. I'm asked to enter a password I don't have - and have to download software for that. This requires a re-boot in safe mode. The scan rate is slow and it insists on removing Microsoft Defender. I sign up for facebook protection and it isn't registered.

The interface is bizarre. I've used over 20 anti-virus programs and this has been the most difficult to install and understand. It's certainly taken longer than anyother. After an hour I'm still 60% left to do.

I'm already annoyed at the number of "upselling windows" that keep opening. I view it's track record of detection as suspect. For your average household there are better mutli-user licences to be had for less money, and which are more easily installed.

They claim it's number one ranked. I reckon most people would be better sticking MS Essentails. Negative reviews are rarely encouraged or thought useful, but I'm afarid I have to say it as I find it.
VINE VOICEon 10 February 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I waited until my current internet security was up for renewal and tried to load it on my laptop (HP Athlon 4355). The first page came up then nothing.... I checked the box, which said it was compatible with my Windows XP and then tried again... and again... and again. Nothing. I installed the Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 with no trouble at all last week. So whatever qualities this software has, unlike some reviewers I haven't been able to find them.