Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now DIYED Learn More Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 8 August 2013
Having used a competitors product for a number of years and finding it impossible to stop my computer slowing down I decided on a change. Only time will tell if BitDender has the same problems.

The product is very easy to set up and it has a simple and clean user interface.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is not a technical review as I am not qualified. I have Bitdefender on my own PC and have been really pleased with the way it interacts with me - basically causes me no bother and occasionally flashes me a little message asking me to check something. I feel protected but not hassled. Wonderful. So when my Dad needed to update his security on his PC I got him this - and it has worked a treat. The real advantage with Bitdefender products for me is that they are so user friendly - super easy to load onto the PC and they have a lovely UX. My 70 odd year old Dad is not technical but has had no problem putting this on his PC and he is happy with the interface.

Sorry not to be able to comment on the technical side - basically this seems to me to cover the needs of the average home PC user - but there are some really good technical reviews on here so I won't embarrass myself by trying to compete!

I think this is good value for a reasonable price.
VINE VOICEon 16 January 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been using Antivirus Bit Defender and now I upgraded to this version with added internet security. I can only repeat what I already said - it is simple enough to install and it runs in the background using minimal CPU resources. What I noticed is that during the installation it didn't look for any other anti-virus software that might interfere with it, so I had to remove my old one manually.

This one works just the I want it to work: in the background and not to slow down my computer. Recommended.
VINE VOICEon 5 January 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having not had any viruses within my period of usage (indeed I find infection quite a rare event) I can't vouch for its performance, but considering it comes out amongst the top in many professional reviews I feel easy.

I installed this on a Windows 8 Ultrabook (you can download the trial and unlock that if you don't have an optical drive), and though it took a fair bit of time to install compared to other antivirus software, it was worth it for the increase in boot speed after having removed McAfee trial-ware. The robotic-looking desktop widget is also a nice touch but perhaps they could've had a live tile showing the status of the app for Windows 8 too?

Updates are regular, it doesn't intrude on my computer usage and it looks nice. The interface could be a little bit more streamlined, but it's not difficult. Will I be renewing? I hope so!
on 6 February 2013
Since removing McAfee and installing BitDefender, it's been like having a new PC. The PC doesn't keep slowing to a crawl or a standstill. Bit Defender just gets on with its work unobtrusively in the background.
on 6 March 2013
I purchased BitDefender security after reading a number of favourable reviews and at a very good price on Amazon. Software loaded first time and appears to work happily in the background with no interference from me - I have it set to autopilot.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is the first time I have tried Bitdefender. Previously I have tried Norton, AVG and FSecure, so I have a reasonable knowledge of what to expect in an Internet Security product.

The only real negative aspect to this review concerns the installation. I run Windows 7 Home Premium, and as a general rule I do not use the "administrator" account. Instead I use a standard "user" account, entering the admin password when required (e.g., for software installation). This is slight paranoia on my part, as I like the security of knowing that, when on a user-level account, no malware will be able to make system changes without asking me explicitly for the admin password. Different account levels are hardly a new feature in Windows, and I would expect Bitdefender to cope. But it did not.

I de-installed my expired AVG software, to avoid any danger of a clash, then ran the Bitdefender install. All went well until partway through the installation. Bitdefender install checks that you have the latest Windows updates. In my case, there had obviously been an update very recently, which I had not yet picked up. So, it said it would run these updates first before continuing. This is obviously where things went wrong. After leaving it running for several hours, it seemed to have ceased activity, so I re-started the PC. When it came back up, Windows decided that I no longer had a "legal" copy and disabled a load of stuff before putting up a threatening dialogue box about how to pay Microsoft for a genuine copy. This was rubbish, as my copy is fully legal and I have the certificate to prove it. However, in the end the only way to resolve the issue was to restore back to a System Restore point from a few days earlier. I then had a mess to clean up to get the system back to a sensible state. I then re-ran the Bitdefender installation from the admin account, and all went well. I have subsequently installed another copy of Bitdefender on my father-in-law's PC, again from admin account, and that was also OK. So, my recommendation to you is: (a) before you start, run Windows Update, just to avoid any danger of tripping up Bitdefender; (b) install from an administrator level account.

Once installed, Bitdefender is actually an excellent piece of software. The cosmetics are all very "aerospace" - all gunmetal black and macho. With Windows 7, you get a "gadget" to sit in the corner of your screen. This is a roundel showing you firewall activity level, virus check activity level and a red number for any alerts you might need to look at. In the middle is a red/amber/green indicator telling you whether virus definitions have been updated recently.

The philosophy of Bitdefender is hands-off, or what they call "auto pilot". This means that for the novice (or the not especially paranoid) there is absolutely ZERO set-up. The software will automatically update, run scans in the background, set firewall access levels, etc. Having checked through (because I AM paranoid) I was pleased to see that most setting are at a reasonable level. You can push them higher, but then you will get a lot more alerts.

For gamers, there is an automatic "game mode", which prevents the software excessively scanning all the game traffic on the network. I have not noticed any bad effects on game slow-down since installing Bitdefender.

For parents, like me, there is an option to use parental controls. I found these to be very good, certainly the equal of Norton Family, which I was using before. I can get a regular report on what my kids have been doing, what sites they most visited, apps they ran, etc. There is also an option to put additional protection on Facebook (provided your child agrees to provide their Facebook ID and password) - this is obviously only going to work for the child who is not intentionally doing stuff they want to hide from you!

Finally, you get an additional application called Safepay. This automatically detects when you visit, for example, your bank website. It then offers to launch the site inside its own special browser, which includes additional encryption, etc. This would be useful for laptop users who want to connect to their bank over public networks, as it should prevent anyone tapping in to your communications.

There is a little delay on starting Windows, and you can see in the Task Manager that this is due to Bitdefender running up, but nothing worse than any other security suite I have used (and better than many).

So, apart from taking one star off for the installation problems, this software gets a big thumbs-up from me. It is particularly good for anyone who wants to take precautions, but who otherwise is not interested and wants to just leave it all to the software. You will definitely be a lot better protected than without, especially if you are on Windows 7 or earlier.
VINE VOICEon 21 March 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Looking for a cheaper alternative to Norton, I recently gave a trial to Bitdefender.

Although I have no complaint about the performance of Bitdefender in keeping out viruses and other nasties – the program appears to have functioned adequately in this regard - I have decided to return to Norton because of three areas of concern.

Firstly, I found the user interface confusing. This may well be due to my lack of tech knowledge but it hampered my confidence that the program was working (or indeed doing anything at all).

This connects to my second area of concern – the lack of information as to what the program was doing at any given time. A feature of Norton I like is that it tells me everything it is doing, no matter how trivial. As someone with no knowledge I look to be reassured by my anti-virus software. Silence makes me nervous.

The final straw came when the program appeared to be blocking the regular Windows updates. I couldn’t find any confirmation of this but after I removed Bitdefender the updates returned to working as usual.

As I say, I have no reason to think that this program is not a very good anti-virus package. Unfortunately, for those of us who need to know what a program is actually doing it falls short.
on 4 February 2013
Have had my computer for a fair few years now and have changed the internet security often with no problem but with " bitdefender " it totally refused to download unless a security programe by "micro-soft" was uninstalled -- which was not possible so i tried Norton which downloaded no problem
the disk is hense totally rubbish AND WASTE OF MONEY
on 12 November 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It must be one of the cheapest packages going but certainly not the poorest in fact it lives up to the big boys. I judged it against the on line trend one and it found more or less the same amount of malware I had on my PC. It scans from outside of windows in its own environment and I like the extra bank protection when signing in to my bank a specially secured browser designed to lock transactions away from keyloggers, screen scrapers and man-in-the-middle attacks etc
Bitdefender also places reputation indicators next to search results and you can have your facebook and twitter walls scanned for potential hazards. If your new to security programs then you can use an auto feature that does all the work for you so you can get on with your work and not have to interact a lot of the time when starting to use it. It will also warn you of potentially bad internet sites and has a green type mark next to the ones it knows are safe. The software will not make any difference to your PC in speed providing you have a reasonable speed PC to start with and I didn't notice any slow down of PC booting up time. Excellent package for the price.