on 26 October 2012
I wanted a lightweight netbook/tablet that i could take when travelling, was lightweight, which I could use as an e-reader as well as able to write documents on that I could send as e-mail attachments and use to view and then transfer photos from my camera to memory sticks as i tend to take a lot of photos and film when away. I had tried the Prime, but returned it because its wi-fi connectivity was very poor and it was important for me that I would be able to connect with any possible source anywhere. I did not want the newer cheaper transformer as I also needed to be able to use it in daylight and the TF700 promised a screen that could be read in daylight.

I have given this 4 rather than 5 stars for 2 reasons. The first is that I am a bit disappointed that the screen is not as easy to read in daylight as hoped.It has a very glossy and reflective screen which is readable, but not very comfortable. The other reason is that it has a programme called Polaris which is meant to be compatible with Word. Instead of sending postcards I like to write about my experiences and send them as an attachment to friends. It did work quite well except that it seems to have no spell-check and it lost its formatting in the process and words were split between lines making it difficult to read. There may be a solution to that and I would be grateful if anyone can tell me what it is or suggest another programme I could use.

Apart from those two gripes, i think it is an amazingly versatile tablet. I like the keyboard, which is comfortable to use and has a USB port unlike other tablets. I love the fact that I can carry it around without the keyboard and it is then as light and flexible as the best of other tablets on the market. So over-all very pleased.
15 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 13 December 2014
I bought this for nearly £700 after waiting nearly a year for it to be available in the UK back in 2012.
This was my first tablet and initially I thought it was absolutely brilliant.
After about 9 months I noticed bits of plastic falling off the tablet part of the assembly.
Eventually realised that these bits of plastic were the latch mechanism that latched the tablet to the keyboard.
Informed Amazon and they said they would give me a full refund as it was still in warranty. Well done Amazon.
As I had a lot of apps on the tablet, I declined the offer and contacted Asus about a repair.
Customer service was disgusting and they said that they would not even look at the problem without me paying £50 up front - even though it was less than 1 year old. I sent them photos of the plastic bits that had broken off the tablet and they replied that the damage was due to me not being gentle when connecting the tablet to the keyboard. I didn't take it any further with Asus.
My tablet is now 2 years old and does not latch onto the keyboard - that's not a problem as it lives in its cover.
Recently it's been very temperamental when trying to log onto Wi-Fi and some days won't even connect.
I would advise anybody to give Asus products a miss and I will never buy anything from them again.
I loved my tablet when I bought it, but now it's just a pile of junk.
4 people found this helpful
on 25 December 2012
After much reading of many reviews and dozens of Google Alerts on Tablets, I settled on the Asus TF700 with the docking station. Had it for two weeks and really pleased with it. Does everything that I want it to do. It came with 64 GB installed and with two SD Cards now installed (one 16 GB Micro SD in the Tablet and a 32 GB SD Card in the Docking Station) it has 112 GB of accessable storage. Unbelievable, considering the size of the 20 MB Winchester I had installed in my first PC about 27 years ago, at a replacement cost that would make your eyes water. The one attribute I would have liked is a HDMI connection but it's not that big a deal. Charged the Tablet as instructed and waited for the green light. The Jelly Bean update was installed (after asking permission), seamlessly after it was switched on and it had connected to my WiFi Hub. It shows all the WiFi connections available, in Settings automatically and you choose the one applicable to your set up. Literally operational with Jelly Bean installed, connected to the WiFi, Internet and email within 10 to 15 minutes of being switched on. Also, you really do not have to be an expert to get it set up. I put in a lot of thought and reviewing before spending that much money and was more than a little anxious as I have no access to the Money Tree. My concerns no longer exist. I recommend the Asus Infinity but like everything else, reliability can only be attested to, on the day you dipose of the item. One other thing, buying through Amazon reduces the concerns as they have in the past changed items for me that have developed faults. On one occasion I had the replacement before I had the oppurtunity to return the faulty item.
Who can fault that level of service.
7 people found this helpful
on 29 April 2014
Having lived with this tablet for just over one year, I have a few comments:

1. Overall, it performs adequately. There is significant delay downloading emails and loading web pages, but app speeds seem fine

2. Asus seem to have forgotten about this tablet after a year. The last Android update was to version 4.2.1 and, despite asking Asus and looking around various web sites, there seems little sign of any later version being made available. A shame, as Kit Kat would probably speed things up.

3. Be VERY CAREFUL when the tablet is connected to the keyboard. They are held in place well enough, you think, but actually the clips are only just engaged and a tiny jolt was all that was needed to break off one of the 2 clips on the display itself. This means that the keyboard still docks, but is only held firmly on one side, the other side can be pulled away, allowing the display and keyboard to then separate. Asus quoted me £45-£60 just to look at the problem, then for the cost of repairs. Great customer service.

So, overall the tablet does a job for me. However, at the frightening high price I expected better performance, better customer services and much higher build quality. Would I buy another Asus tablet? Probably not. I would buy one with a good display and battery life, then get a Bluetooth connected keyboard.

Oh well, in another year or so, I may persuade the Dragon Lady to let me buy a new tablet.
on 1 April 2013
In my opinion, it is the best and most complete tablet on the market, both regarding hardware and software. Furthermore, the included keyboard sets this tablet aside from the rest (it works very well). I had an Ipad 3 (I still have the Ipad 1) and sold it because of the important limitations it has regarding connectivity and file management (and also because of the simple but limited OS it has). By the way, I switched from iOS to Android and found ALL the equivalent apps I was using, in Google Play, and some others that were not available in iOS (so, no problem with apps -actually, the same app has usually more options in Android than in iOS).

The ASUS tablet has a full size USB port on the keyboard which allows you to connect practically any USB device (including 2.5" hard drives, without the need of external power, pen drives, mouse, cameras, etc.). You also have an SD card reader and a full size HDMI port. You can plug in a pen drive and copy any files you want to any folder in the tablet (to internal or external memory). Furthermore, you can OPEN practically ANY file (audio, video, photograph, office documents, etc.) without size limitations (I can open my 24 MB RAW files and view them!) and play my HD AVHD video files from my Panasonic Video camera directly form the SD card.

Battery life is very long, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity (*) works fine, and also the GPS works perfectly. Android OS is much more sofisticated than iOS so you can do many more things (starting with file management, real multi-tasking, and a back button!).

All of these things I have mentioned I couldn't do with the Ipad 3 (which is totally unacceptable for a product of this price level!) which is supposed to be the direct competitor to the ASUS tablet.

So if you are in doubt wether to buy an Ipad 3 or the ASUS Transformer Infinity, I would highly reccommend the latter!

(*) This week-end I stayed at a Hotel with wi-fi: my ASUS tablet connected right away to it (and my Galaxy Note II) ; my friend's Ipad (and iPhone) weren't able to connect: they got an error message "unable to connect"...
2 people found this helpful
on 2 January 2014
I spent a long time researching tablets as I wanted one with a proper keyboard that could still be used as a tablet on it's own. This definitely fit the bill. I chose this one because it had a more durable case, higher memory and a very nice look.

I added a wireless mouse and now have the perfect set up for me.

Separating the the tablet from the keyboard is a simple matter of sliding a button. Reattaching is even easier as it clicks into a locked position with a positive push.

I tend to keep it plugged into the power as I don't turn it off at night, but just close it, therefore it's still using up battery, accepting messages etc. However, I found the battery lasted all day with a lot of use. It depends on your usage.

I've got no complaints and the usual 10" case for the iPad fit this just fine allowing room for leads in the soft pocket. Though the plug is a bit too big to be stored that way. But that is personal choice and I'd recommend taking it with you to choose a case as the addition of the keyboard means it is a bit wider.

The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because it occasionally turns itself off without warning. Occasionally! So don't be put off by this. I am delighted with it and found it very responsive.

All round, I'd say it's excellent and I'm delighted with it.
on 16 February 2014
...I would not have bought this.

The problem isn't the Transformer: the whole concept of undocking / redocking the screen to the keyboard is brilliant. Having the potential to be a (mini) laptop... a tablet... a camera... everything your phone does (except make calls) but on a larger screen - and most things your average notebook does.

And I can't get on with it at all.

It's not Windows op-sys, and I'm not very techie. I didn't realize when I bought it that being non-Windows would pose an unsurmountable obstacle for me, but alas, it does.

I read not long ago that MicroSoft has entered into a partnership with Asus and that Asus are now producing what's essentially a Transformer with Windows. Maybe I'll go down that road. Someday. But in the meantime, I am not a happy Asus bunny.
One person found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 25 September 2014
When I received it, was delighted. However, after 5 months it developed a crack in docking station. Upon further inspection
I found the dock screws had not been inserted at assembly, causing the crack. I photographed this and returned to ASUS. It came back unrepaired with screws tightened. I had to complain and send numerous emails before this simple warranty issue was resolved.

About a year after purchase, I noticed unit was getting looser in the dock. Gradually this worsened until finally one side would not
latch. I checked forums and it appears this is a common fault. Therefore I sent it back to ASUS for repair. They accused me of damaging unit and would not repair free. Repair cost is not worth what unit is now worth.

ASUS support are very poor, they don't care about customers, software updates are non existent (still on android 4.2) and overall, I would not recommend this unit nor any other ASUS product. Others have simple 2 year warranty and no faults.
2 people found this helpful
on 17 December 2012
Buying the TF700 was not taken lightly - after all it's not cheap at almost £600. But, like many punters, I reviewed and researched the product as best I could and decided that this tablet ticked most of the boxes for my personal needs. There comes a time when reading and reviewing can have a negative affect and I was approaching that point. In the end I decided to take the plunge.
Am I sorry or do I have any regrets? In a word, No.
But, owning a TF700 has not been without incident since I'm currently on my 2nd TF700. My first tablet would occasionally fail to boot up leaving me with a blank white screen, and this after owning it for a day or two. I must say that Amazon were faultless in this respect and exchanged it within two days without any fuss, hassle or problems. Thank you Amazon.
I've now had this tablet for about 6 weeks and whilst I enjoy using it I'm still learning and finding my way around the system. After a week or so of using the tablet the system updated itself overnight to the Jelly Bean operating system from ICS.
Asus have put together a robust unit; it feels solid, sturdy and well made. The screen is excellent - up there with the Ipad - it's bright, clear and the colours vivid. I like the way the brightness alters to suit the light conditions. The quad core processor is rapid and handles the tasks I throw at it with ease. Flicking through the pages is effortless. The keyboard dock is a bonus - I like it. Not only does it transform your tablet into a netbook but it also doubles (just about) your battery life, extending it to around 15 / 16 hrs. The keyboard also houses a slot for a SD card and a mini SD card slot can be found on the tablet itself. Unfortunately, there is no USB port.
My main gripe with the tablet and I think this may be generic with most tablets is its E-Mail capacity. I use Outlook 2007 on my PC and I'm finding it nigh on impossible to transfer contacts to the tablet. I'll go as far as to say that simply adding contacts is a nightmare. Android really needs to get a grip on this alarming flaw in an otherwise excellent system. Hopefully, some firmware update may rectify this!! By the way, sending a message to multiple contacts is a problem - be warned if you intend using your tablet for serious E-Mail usage? For this reason alone the tablet will not be a substitute for your PC or Laptop. And, this is why I'm giving 4 stars and not 5.
But, overall it's an impressive piece of kit, fast and responsive and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others so long as you realise its limitations regards E-Mails.
3 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 5 April 2014
The Infinity Pad i purchased had a fault (the mini hdmi port was faulty meaning i could not play movies via the pad onto my TV) . i had to pay money for the device to be sent to Eastern Europe for a number of weeks. ASUS 's process was hugely inflexible. Insisted that payment could only be made in euros via bank transfer. This cost me a further £17 in charges.

Then my tablet was returned and after a week or so stop working completely.

Now i am told the device is out of warranty and ASUS are going to charge £50 just on transport charges to look at it.

At every stage ASUS customer service process is designed to make it as difficult and expensive as possible for the customer, I assume ASUS is trying to make it so difficult that people just don't bother.

I now have a £600 device which is a year old and not working and ASUS are simply washing its hands of the problem.

Simply outrageous.