Customer reviews

Platform: PC|Edition: Standard|Change
Price:£79.99+ £3.89 shipping

on 2 February 2013
I am using the Dragon software to write this review. In order to test it I will first type and then I will dictate some text from the Dragon Sidebar. I will do each for 60 seconds. I will make no corrections to either text.

Typing: "In some editions of dragon you can also use the advanced features of the my commands editor to create commands based on the VBA like scripting, mouse movements and keystrok" 30 words in 1 minute.

Dragon: "In some editions of Dragon you can also use the advanced features of the my commands editor to create commands based on VBA like scripting, mouse movements and keystrokes. Important: this tab is meant to display custom commands present in your user-defined group. If you have custom commands under other group names, these commands will not be displayed here. While creating a user profile, Dragon presents a list of dictation sources. If you are not using the default microphone plugged into the mike in Jack be sure to indicate your devices type: for instance, USB microphone or Bluetooth microph" 99 words in 1 minute.

I am not sure how useful fast typists would find this software but for someone like me who does not type quickly this is an absolutely brilliant piece of kit. My typing speed above-approximately 30 words per minute-is just about as good as I can do. If I am typing for any length of time, I soon develop stiff neck muscles and gradual loss of concentration. On the other hand, I find using Dragon to be a relatively effortless exercise.
Hugely impressed.
66 Comments| 136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I have never been a great typist, nor all that fast. Watching my fingers on the keyboard instead of the words on the screen can make for interesting errors. Recently the arthritis in my hands has got so bad that I've hardly been able to type at all, which has set my writing back a great deal. But with this lovely software all of that is behind me.

A friend bought this for me as a present from my Amazon wish list which was a lovely surprise. I installed the software and plugged in the little headset that is included in the box. The quality of the headset is good, not brilliant, but it is certainly sufficient to get you started with Dragon. The training texts took about an hour to get through. However you don't have to do all of them at once, although the software will work better the more training you give it. It has taken me a little while to get used to speaking to the computer rather than typing into it. But having got the hang of it it is far, far easier. I have background noise in the room that I usually work in, but even with my parrot whistling away happily from the top of his perch 3 feet from where I'm working, the software rarely throws an error.

The software also includes the ability to read back text that you've entered, or any other editable text on your computer. You simply highlight it and tell it to 'read that' and a pleasant female voice, who is slightly electronic and robotic, will read it all back to you. My only niggle with this is that you can't pause it. Don't tell it to read your whole 100,000 word novel in a single sitting because the phone will ring and you will miss half of it. I do like the ability to search the web on the fly, just by saying 'search the web for' to the computer. I would love to see the ability to look up words in a dictionary or thesaurus added in the same way.

It has taken me two days of casual use to get to the point where I'm confident typing this using Dragon and my voice. My normal reviews can take me upwards of an hour to type; I'm just not that fast a typist. This has so far taken me 10 minutes and I know my spelling is correct because Dragon automatically puts the right spelling in as you type. This is an amazing tool and I wish I had got it for myself years ago. As a writer my real voice comes through when I speak, and I'm not drowning in the technicalities of composing a piece. If you have difficulties with your hands such as arthritis or carpal tunnel, forget the wrist braces, forget the cushion mats, just get yourself Dragon, stop typing and start creating again.

PS: it's NaNoWriMo soon, I'm in, what's your excuse?
0Comment| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 June 2015
It's not perfect and I'm not sure I would trust it or a final draft but for a first (or second) draft it is priceless. Leaves you free to "create" while it does the typing. Outstanding value for money. Maybe as the software gets even more used to my voice, it might be even more accurate but even as it is, I'm more than happy. Didn't say Yes to allowing it access to my documents and emails to gain familiarity of my text patterns but don't think this has had much of a negative effect on voice recognition. Would happily recommend this product.
on 24 June 2014
I bought this software, having used a previous version a number of year's ago, in order to greatly improve my efficiency in writing long reports I need to do for my consultancy business. I have to say, that I am used to dictation and have worked with audio typists for a number of years and therefore, working with the Dragon software has proved far more productive for me than my meager 10-15 words a minute typing. I find that I can think, speak and get words on 'paper' extremely effectively.

The software is accurate (and I use quite technical language), very quick to pick up and certainly learns quickly. After three week's of use I don't really want or need to go back to a keyboard, even for short emails. There is a hang to getting the pace and pronunciation correct, but like all things practice improves things and the software has improved in accuracy at a rate that has pleased and not frustrated.

There is a 'but' though, hence only four stars. Out of the box and with the latest upgrade applied the software did not save my profile, once created. So for the first few days I had to keep creating a profile and went through the initial setup (20 minutes) each time I wanted to undertake some dictation. This hugely frustrated me and I was about to throw in the towel until after a long trawl of various websites identified that DNS clashes with the latest version of McAfee real time scanner. Once I disabled this - and disconnected with the internet, everything works a treat. So, if you use McAfee, beware! In addition use of the headset supplied, which goes through the sound card keeps crashing the machine. Using a USB headset does not give these issues. I believe this is only a potential problem with Realtek soundcards.

So now that I am over the initial teething issues I have to say that this is a superb piece of software and very effective, far more so than previous versions I have used.
on 5 March 2017
Takes a bit of getting used to, but works pretty well when you spend time with it as instructed.
on 15 March 2015
Sound transaction. Everything went well
on 18 December 2013
Bought this as a gift for my partner who id dyslexic but unfortunately could not use as you have to read a book to voice activate it.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 January 2013
I bought this software for home use, to help me compile quotes from a pile of various books I'm using as research material for a project. To my surprise and relief it surpassed all my expectations.

My most recent alternative experience with voice recognition software was with the application that came free with Windows 7, a pile of junk which in fairness got many 'unfamiliar' words right, but repeatedly failed to recognise simple words like 'and', 'a', and 'the'.

THIS software package, however, was a revelation. Dragon N.S. Home 12 was easy to install, easy to calibrate, easy to use, gets nearly all 'unfamiliar' words right first time and, more importantly for me, gets the 'simple' words right just about all the time, with no need for tedious correcting and re-correcting of the same damned word over and over. Usefully, it seems to detect 'context', so that it doesn't offer 'to' when you mean it to spell 'too', and nor does it offer 'of' when you mean it to write 'off'.

Once I got it going I wrapped up the quotes I needed from one book in less than a quarter of an hour; last night, harvesting material from another book, the software was such a joy to use that I grudged having to go to bed before I'd finished what I wanted to. I've felt this way about a great computer game before, but never about a great software package!

I noticed a niggling glitch that recurred when I used it in 'Word Open Office' in Win 7, but it vanished totally when I switched to WordPad, so I can't even complain about that.

I paid less than £50 for the package and it is going to save me money; I was intending to hire a typist to write up the material, but I'll be able to do it all myself now. The nice people at Dragon even included a good-quality headset combined mic/headphones as well, so that you can get going the minute it arrives.

This software is how modern technology SHOULD be, but so frequently isn't. It is efficient, effective, intuitive, flexible, and cost-effective. In times when such things often turn out to be disappointments, or rip-offs, this product is a God-send and I literally cannot recommend it enough.

Bravo!

*edit: it turns out the glitch I referred to DOES persist in Word Pad; it happens when you correct a word in mid-sentence, and the cursor thereafter decides that all your new text needs to appear in mid-sentence as well, no matter what you do, or where you command the cursor to go, or wherever you place the cursor manually. I have to save the document once I've got it looking how I want and then go back in every time this happens. If there's a simple solution to my problem then I'm all ears, but so far it's the only frustration that I have with this otherwise outstanding product).
11 Comment| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 September 2014
Very good product
on 30 November 2012
My son suffers from dyslexia. he has recently started at college doing 4 A levels, the college introduced him to the software and we were amazed at just how good this works. i have seen a massive increase in my sons confidence and content of reports and assignments, he is able to put things into the words he want to as he does not have to worry about the spelling.
It still amazes me when i sit and watch him dictate and manipulate the text with such simple commands.

i would whole heartily recommend this to parent or student suffering from weakness in the spelling and writing, this is such a fantastic tool.