on 22 January 2013
I have always liked Testament, and yes I am old enough to have been around when the Legacy was released - which i bought, it was brilliant and me and my boyhood buddies enjoyed thrashing to this along with other masterpieces of the time, Ultra Violence, Eternal Nightmares, Pleasure to Kill to name a few, it was exciting times for us Thrashers, time sadly never stops, New Order and Practice were solid offerings but they didnt stir me like Legacy, and after that the thrash bus crashed, Testament to Testament cos they kept going with decent albums but what with line up changes bands including these guys kind of lost some identity, probably the fans getting older has something to do with it also, that was until 1999 and with the Gathering Testament had me all excited as if it was 1987 again, anyways, unless you have been living at the bottom of the sea for the past 10 years you will know we are enjoying a new lease of Thrashy goodness, Testament werent originally on the new wave but then cam Formation, it was good but not great, im glad to say that Dark Roots is classical, its not instant, not by any means, but is very much a grower, now it has grew and grew and grew, absolutely brilliant
2 people found this helpful
on 27 November 2013
Loved all the early Testament albums, then went off them a bit,after some average releases.
However, this is an unbelievable return to form.
I didn't like the James Murphy era and my favourite albums are all with Alex Skolnick on guitar.
So it's great to listen to the brutal riffing of Peterson and Skolnick, plus the pounding drum work of the returning Gene Hoglan.
The vocals of Chuck Billy are just ferocious.
It's non stop, headlong, full in your face metal/thrash from the off, (a bit of a pause ensues with Cold Embrace, my least favourite song), but all tracks are awesome.
One of the best metal albums EVER - trust me.
Very highly recommended!!
on 31 December 2016
By the way I love my thrash, anthrax don't let me down, Metallica tend to , Megedeth also but there last album fantastic, this though is brilliant, you like your thrash heavy but organized with great production, great lyrics and a full on ear pumelling, this is for you, Amazing!!!!!!!!!
on 7 August 2016
The first Testament album I ever picked up based on the strength of hearing Native Blood online and I'm happy I took that chance as its a great album. If your looking for your first Testament album though I'd recommend The Formation of Damntion.
on 4 August 2012
Absolutely amazing package - the CD itself contains some of the best tracks Testament have recorded since Practise What You Preach - the production is top notch and the addition of Hoglan again on drums is killer! Skolnick is back to his ferocious best adding his trademark bluesy-licks and scalular runs with sweeps and wicked vibrato!

The DVD is an excellent watch and the guys come across as genuine, level headed musicians with a real passion for what they are doing.

One of the best CD's of the Year, bar none!
3 people found this helpful
on 9 January 2018
Husband loved it, being a thrash metal fan.
on 28 March 2018
Amazing Album! Metal originality at its finest - delivered by metal masters! Musical and lyrical philosophy most engaging ... (not to mention the album art)
on 28 September 2012
Talent at its purest form.
Testament continue their recordings with a surpisingly -after all these years- good effort.
Perfect sound,less heavy but sharp and clear for all the instruments.
Thrashy songs mix up with mid-tempo heavy songs that stick to your mind for the catchy melodies
and refrains.
Gene Hoglan on the drums is just amazing!
10/10
Buy it!
on 18 August 2013
It's the first metal album in years to which I've actually been listening to repeatedly in my car. There's a couple of songs at the beginning which are kinda 'meh', but overall, especially from the fourth song onward, this album absolutely kicks ass. Strongly recommend it to all the metalheads out there.
3 people found this helpful
on 3 October 2016
Another excellent album from testament. As iv said in other reviews, I recently got back into testament. This album continues in the same vein as formation of damnation. A modern thrash classic. Go and order it now. You won't be disappointed.