on 27 July 2012
A great book for anyone who is considering setting up their own photography business but is afraid that they don't have the skill to make it.

I read this book more because of my interest in small business start-ups than with any real idea to make a living from photography but it has opened my eyes to how accessible this business is to `normal people' like me. I've always enjoyed my photography, so much so that I did a short course a few years ago, but always thought that making a living from it was for the `professionals' with their fancy, expensive, equipment.

I'd definitely recommend to anyone who would like to have a go at selling their photographs. The chance to make a living doing something you enjoy is always worth a shot!

It's worth noting that this book is aimed at the US market, so some of the specific business information is of no use to UK readers. However, the rest of it is really comprehensive.
on 23 January 2013
I really enjoyed this short book, reading it in a couple of sittings.

It's clear the author really knows and enjoys his craft, and makes the process of setting up as a photographer seem almost straightforward and even fun. The book is well-organized, and there's a wealth of information here, with informative headings including:

-Dispelling Myths: You do not need expensive equipment to get started.
-What sort of photography should you pursue?
-Marketing Your Services: Create local partnerships with existing businesses.
-Pricing Your Services.
-Expanding Your Business..

The book is part just the facts listing of steps to building your own photography business, and part encouraging account of the author's journey from teen with a new camera to professional photographer.

The admonitions that it doesn't take too much money to start the business, and there is always room for another photographer, may seem disingenuous to some, what with today's economic climate and the plethora of expensive gadgets waiting to tempt novice and professional alike, but the basis is true. For each type and level of photographer, there is a different clientele, and one need only go as fast or as far as seems comfortable.

Good advice, plainly spoken, with enough detail to enable the enthusiast to carry on alone and build a good foundation.
on 13 December 2012
I am looking to start a business in photography and this book is a great guide to getting started. It explains simple yet effective steps to take to getting started. I enjoyed reading it and would recommend it to anyone thinking of starting out.
on 3 September 2013
This book is very naive in its approach to setting up a business.
This book doesn't teach you that you need to learn about light and colour management amongst other things in order to be a pro photographer.
on 26 January 2014
All common sense...I didn't learn anything. It was also very American, which somehow put me off as I wanted helpful information but got moments of...applause. I didn't find it motivational, just a bit cheesy.
on 17 May 2015
Far to basic and not really that helpful it only covers basics that you will have already thought about and doesn't give any insight into what you actually need to do to build a client base ext
on 30 March 2013
I found the positive outlook and simple, straightforward suggestions and guidance very encouraging. My dream may not be as complicated as I have always thought. Well worth a read.
on 19 March 2013
good interesting book with lots of info it would be a usefull read for anyone looking to go into photography as a business a bit low on worthwhile information
on 17 January 2014
Great book for someone starting out like myself, lots of handy tips and ideas, glad I bought this book, well worth the money.
on 9 January 2015
Easy to ready, very practical approach. A lot of very useful tips. All in all a very useful resource. Well recommended