on 31 December 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A very sturdy cook book stand - I know this is cast iron but expect it to be very heavy when you unpack the item. The item looks beautiful and is too heavy to put away so bear that in mind when considering your worktop space. I currently have a wooden one T&G Gift Range Cook Book Stand in Acacia Wood and this folds away when I'm not using it, stacking on top of the recipe books on a shelf in my kitchen; you won't be able to do this with this one. I've had my wooden one for exactly three years so I've had significant use out of it, I don't know whether I'll be able to keep this on the worktop for three years and as I've said it is incredibly heavy so in my kitchen won't store well.

As it is cast iron you can only use a damp cloth to clean it with but the leaflet accompanying the item does inform you that it can't be washed in the dishwasher. In order to keep your cook books steady make sure you tighten the thumb turn well otherwise the stand won't pivot. You do need to pivot it to hold the books as well because for me the ledge isn't quite deep enough for larger recipe books - they will hang over the edge.

The page retainers are great, they are heavyweight and substantial enough to maintain your page but easy enough to be turning your page over if the recipe goes over more than one page. They add to the overall effect of this item and hang just below the ledge (well I suppose it depends how far back you pivot the stand really).
It is hard to compare this stunning item with my wood one but I genuinely feel my wood one is better. I think you need to have a large kitchen space for this item in my opinion. It came beautifully packaged and would make a gorgeous gift except the item is that heavy the base had tore through the packaging (something else to bear in mind) in case you want to purchase for a gift. It would be one of those items where you know how much you'd paid for it but people wouldn't recognise the quality and cost of the item.

So the crux of the review, would I buy it if I hadn't been extremely lucky enough to receive one for free? No, I'm afraid I wouldn't. However having used it is good and certainly cleans well, is sturdy and looks great but I can't keep it out and this defeats the purpose of something so substantial.
VINE VOICEon 13 February 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is standing by my cooker and looks lovely, even the packaging smacks of style and quality, but when I tried to put a bigger cookery book on the stand I discovered that the lower ledge of the stand lacks depth and thus it is not a universal cook book stand. The heavy weighted page holders do allow the pages to be held securely and the stand is a solid, strong, easily cleaned kitchen addition but the style over substance means it might not hit the spot for all.
Despite the problems I do love it and think it is a great addition to my kitchen with the gorgeous Art Nouveau patterning it is a craft item to be appreciated for its beauty and more than 80% of my cookbooks can be held securely on the stand so I forgive the slight shelf issue!!
on 16 January 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a well designed cook book stand that is both functional and attractive. It arrived well packaged and required minimal assembly before it could be used. I have used it to hold a range of heavy hard backed cook books and the stand has had no problems remaining balanced. I have even used it to prop up my Microsoft Surface tablet when I've wanted to watch Netflix, which has also been fine - although you might want to double check the fastener behind the stand before you put something on here that it wasn't really designed to hold. No point tempting fate and having your iPad fall on the floor. However, as a cook book stand first, I can't fault it.