on 4 January 2013
This is an engrossing and well paced account of the country we now know as Turkey. For any visitor it is a must - for this brief but fully informative account of the complex history and culture of Asia Minor/The Ottoman Empire/ or modern day Turkey - cleverly outlines the wonderful range of characters that formed this enchanting land. I have walked the Theodosian Walls, and explored the Topkapi Palace - taken the ferry to modern Uskadur - been overwhelmed by the Aya Sofia. Bob Fowkes book captures the magic and explains how it all happened. His command of detail which serves the bigger picture is impressive, but never slows the pace of this extraordinary story.

To visit Turkey without reading or taking this book with you - unless you are a specialist already - would be a missed opportunity. For Bob Fowke condenses the history and culture into accessible summaries of all emperors and sultans. Even if you are deeply versed in Turkish history, his date timelines are an easy reminder of the main epochs and characters.

I could not recommned this highly readable and witty book more highly.
on 1 March 2013
This is a very informative visitors guide and history of Turkey. Well organised and with humour sprinkled throughout makes "Guide to Turkey for History Travellers" a most engrossing read! I've made several visits to Turkey in recent years and learned much from this book. One of the best travellers guides I've had the pleasure to read and I would certainly recommend it if like me you want to gain a sense of history of places you visit!
on 27 January 2015
I bought this book to read on my Kindle because I enjoy medieval and ancient history and because it is my intention to tourTurkey this year. I have found it to be extremely helpful and informative both from an historical aspect and, more importantly, as a traveller. The author has taken time to provide tips, maps and clear comprehensive information on many of the towns, cities and historic places a tourist would encounter whilst there. I have no hesitation in recommending this book to anyone wanting to travel to Turkey or to learn of it's history.
on 31 January 2015
Difficult to read. Depends what you are looking for! I was looking fo a light guide to the history of Turkey. This is value for money if you require a full history, not a guide.
on 12 August 2013
I bought this as I visit Turkey a lot, we have an apartment there and I am keen to find out more information about he country and the culture. This book didn't disappoint. It was quick and easy to read and full of facts and has put me on the road to further history reading! Recommended!
on 30 March 2013
There are so few short history guides for Tukey. This one was rather good. It's not too long and gives a really good overview of the history of the country right from the begining up to modern times. it is loaded with a lot of interesting facts and stories about the country and i would recommend it to anyone going to Turkey for a visit.
on 29 April 2016
Very readable and clear account of a complex history. Concise and logical without being boring. It explained a lot of things to me of which I was unclear.
on 23 May 2014
Maybe it is because I did not read the details when I bought this but I did not expect a book that looks like it is for kids.
on 9 August 2014
Really good. Read a lot of bigger books but this one is an excellent summary .
on 20 August 2014
Very good well written but summarised history, if you are visiting Turkey.
Map diagrams could be better though.
Helpful in putting history to tourist places.