Customer reviews

Pour Une Ame Souveraine - A Dedication to Nina Simone
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 8 October 2012
I received this album in the post today, and have highly anticipated its release. Nina Simone is my favourite artist of all time, so you can imagine how thrilled I was when I found out Meshell would be releasing an album as a tribute to the great lady. I didn't doubt for one minute that Meshell would do Nina justice and stay true to Nina's unique style and talent. This album is fantastic, my favourite release this year thus far - already! The song's Meshell has chosen to re-interpret are a mix of Nina-penned tracks and songs made famous by/covered by Nina. Most of the album is incredibly smooth, such as her take on Feeling Good and Turn Me On. The opening track Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" is perhaps the most recognizable track on the album with Feeling Good also. Her take on this track is magnificent, unlike any other covers of the song I have ever heard. I would highly recomhend purchasing this album!
on 2 December 2012
I was quite excited to hear that Me'Shell NdegeOcello would be releasing a dedication to Nina Simone as I thought this would be a great way for her to appeal once again to a mainstream audience. "Pour Une Ame Souveraine" is her tenth studio album in a career spanning over 20 years and is just as high quality as any of her other projects. There is an added variety which has been somewhat missing from her last few albums and these songs are revisited in a very creative and reflective manner.

The opener "Please Don't let Me Be Misunderstood" is transformed into a suave Blues song with a cool vibe and is a good effort. "Suzanne" demonstrates some lovely rhythmic bass playing from the talented Me'Shell and the combination of the uplifting melody and her haunting vocals is what makes this song special and my favorite on here. "Real Real" is a very sweet Country and Blues influenced track featuring the gentle Gospel vocals of Toshi Reagon. One of the most surprising songs on here is the very bluesy "House Of The Rising Sun" which is the most addictive version of this song I have ever heard. "Turn Me On" is passionately sleepy and sensual in its delivery whilst "Feelin' Good" has never sounded so peaceful and mesmerising. The very laid back collaboration with Sinead O'Connor on "Don't Take All Night" adds an element of Irish Folk to this release whilst Lizz Wright's interpretation of "Nobody's Fault But Mine" brings us back to Church and the Gospel influences. "Be My Husband" is quite intriguing vocally and has an infectious quality to it. "Black Is The Color Of My True Love's Hair" is very melancholic and direct, yet haunting and deep whilst "See Line Woman" and "Either Way I Lose" are hypnotic and addictive. "To Be Young Gifted And Black" is delivered so beautifully by Cody ChesnuTT and is a sweet Soul song. The final track "Four Women" is just magical.

Me'Shell NdegeOcello does very well on "Pour Une Ame Souveraine" as she celebrates Nina Simone's life through her music and with help from some of her equally talented friends. This dedication is very well crafted and each song is delivered with passion - a great way to remind us of Nina Simone's superb talent and repertoire through the eyes of one of our most underated singers and musicians.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 December 2012
I haven't heard much by Meshell before but I can appreciate why she'd want to record a tribute record to the great Nina Simone. The album features songs associated with Nina, interpreted by Meshell and a number of guest female vocalists including Sinead O'Connor, Toshi Reagan and Liz Wright. Meshell's voice isn't particularly distinctive but I did quite like her understated takes on "Please don't let me be misunderstood" and "Suzanne" but "Turn me on" and "Feelin' good" just sounded very insipid compared to Nina's own versions. I found the backing a bit bland throughout, although Meshell's bass playing is fine, and even though the other vocalists brought a bit of variety and additional character I found most of the songs pale imitations of Nina's originals. My favourite track was probably Toshi Reagan's "House of the rising sun" - an over-played song but this version does sound fresh and has guts - closely followed by Meshell's bluesy take on "Please don't let me be misunderstood".
on 9 April 2013
It's really only one Nina Simone and I think that Meshell Ndegeocello is trying to hard to adopt a style that really doesn't suit her talents.

Her talents are better suited toward Lyrical poetry with a musical backdrop behind it .
on 12 February 2017
I'll always purchase her work.
on 27 February 2015
COOL COOL COOL
on 29 October 2014
brilliant
on 5 October 2014
Great mellow tunes
on 2 March 2013
Simply brilliant!! I regularly come online looking for new works by Me'Shell... came across this was really excited and have enjoyed it very much! check it out!!!