on 16 October 2012
Its a good tale, and I really liked it but I think it is trying to catch onto the tail-coat of a certain other young wizard - I won't mention the series of books I mean.

At first it looks like a clone of others in this genre and could be accused of being a similar concept to them, but this is different. There is no concept of a magic system, known the authorities but hidden from the public. The magic comes from another world entirely.

Why only three stars?

The book is very slow to start, I found it irksome at times to have to go through the life of the protagonist from birth to teenager in large leaps between chapters.

Despite the slow start, it is a good portrayal of characters. The leads are strong (again similarities will be drawn to others) and the minor characters are engaging.

The antagonist is a bit of a cardboard cut-out though with not much of the tale looking at him. Probably 10 to 20% of the story is all on the antagonist with no interaction with the protagonist at all. In fact there are times when I did think about where this story was going.

Overall I liked it. The ending felt rushed given the slow start and meandering towards teenage years, but it was satisfying. Not sure how there can be more in the series given this is labelled as Book 1 of the Wizard Born Series.
on 4 January 2014
After completing all three books I would recommend these to children for easy reading and mild entertainment. If I had read the description properly I would never have bought them to read as an adult.
on 26 January 2014
This book isn't badly written and it has an interesting plot. And yet, I struggled to plough through it and finally abandoned the attempt at chapter 31. What defeated me was the detailed description of the daily life of growing toddlers. When chapter 31 opened with "Sixth grade was full of challenges..." and then started talking about girls flirting with the main character I threw in the towel.

It's extremely rare for me not to finish a book as I read constantly and have very wide ranging interests, but I just couldn't take another chapter about children growing up. This may appeal to some readers but I had expected an urban fantasy and this most definitely doesn't deliver.
on 10 February 2014
I'm still trying to decide if it was worth the 38p I paid for it.

The idea is good, and that's why I bought it but by chapter 8 I'd had enough so I skip read the rest. The writing style is so tedious it literally sent me to sleep. It seems to pick up a bit later when Jamie is older, but by then it was just annoying.

The characters are so perfect, it made even me feel sick. Characterization seems to be almost entirely through conversations, so that it was next to impossible to identify with any.

The evil wizard, Renn's short appearances didn't flow or really add anything to the book as a whole.

What a disappointment.
on 1 September 2013
I like to read books with a little bit of magic in them... I often buy books and don't finish them.
I read this in 2 days. I like the characters and their relationships and I like the way it is written. We are shown what the characters are like through what they do, made it a pleasant read.
on 23 May 2014
I put this book on my tablet for my grandchildren to read when they came to visit, I always read their books first to ensure they are suitable, I enjoyed it that much I have downloaded the other two in the set,obviously it is a very easy read but its worth giving it a go as there are definately times when that is what you need to relax you ( especially after plowing through Game of Thrones )
on 22 January 2014
A very addictive read once you start you can not put it down a well thought out plot and a real good lazy day book . Would definitely reread it and any other in the series a must read book for anyone
on 19 November 2013
This book reminds me of a tv series they used to show back in the 70's called "The Wonder Years". It was all gentle stuff with no real violence and decent people trying to do the right thing. Takes a long time over the growing years and reaches the final battle at the same pace. If the book was a date, I would think I'd missed the chance of a goodnight kiss.
on 12 December 2013
this book felt very slow like other books that are the first of a series the author has set more stock in setting the back story then the main story line while I found it slow going I found that it was hard to stop reading the book is sprinkled with a lot of wonderful characters and small parts that are amazingly touching almost bringing a tear to your eye I was a little disappointed by the ending which was very anti climatic however I can't wait to get started on the next book in this series had the ending been better and a few less plot holes I would have given this book a definite 5* this book is the first in a series and I can't wait to see what happens next
on 1 November 2013
The adventures of Jamie, Fred and Rollie are competition for Harry Potter. Kids with an awareness of right and wrong a refreshing change in this day and age.A good tale leaving you wanting more of the same.
I look forward to reading others in the series.