on 11 April 2015
solid feel to this small and compact speaker. it looks and feels like a quality item. it works with my samsung galaxy s5 as well as my kindle fire. it would work with any item that has a standard microphone hole, as that's the cord it comes with. i assume, if you have a different audio outlet on your device, it would work fine with it as long as you could source the appropriate cord. that's speculation, however. just saying it doesn't seem terribly high maintenance where its requirements are concerned!
while it may look and feel quality, i fear that is where the impression ends. as a speaker, it is decidedly LOW quality sound. there's a marked lack of clarity (chiffy sounding audio on any level of volume), and base/treble are very wonky- for my ear, at least. i've seen some reviews here saying it's high on bass, but i feel mine is actually very lacking in bass.
ultimately, for the price i paid (on sale for £9.99), i am more than satisfied. it's small and will be easily carried, but sturdy, so i feel it will be hard to damage. for listening to programs while cooking in the kitchen, or for a bit of mood music while out camping, this will do just fine. If i'd paid over £20 for it, i would be returning it tomorrow, however, as the sound is simply not good enough for that price.
Hopefully that helps someone out there! :)
on 13 May 2015
I really liked the look and feel of the speaker and was chuffed when it arrived. Sadly it failed immediately by not be able to take a charge thereby rendering it useless as a "Rechargeable" speaker. The seller was great and promptly sent a replacement. Once again I looked forward to using it only to be thwarted by the speakers inability to take a charge. I tried to charge it using several usb ports on multiple PCs, I watched the youtube video and followed their instructions, still nothing, so it's going back and I shall look for a different make. The vendor gave excellent service, the manufacturer not so much. It's a shame as it looks like a great product.
on 14 May 2015
I got carried away! It worked but was not a significant improvement over the sound out of my Kindle or the even better sound from my Xperia Z1c phone. A bit louder to be fair but not much. The opening/bellows effect which I imagine has a purpose didn't seem to affect the reproduction: just a novelty. In all, for the small price, there was nothing wrong with it or the finish but I actually have no use for it. I got carried away ..
After more use: Furthermore it emits a mains hum or something like it while on charge and playing. If it was actually 240v into the device I would say there is an earth fault and hazardous to use, outdoors or in the bathroom for example. It can't be that but it seriously detracts.
on 27 May 2015
Considering it say's that it has got batteries that can be re-charged I expected that I could charge the speaker & then plug it into my kindle or other mobile device letting me listen to my music wherever I went with my kindle . THIS IS NOT THE CASE , unless I have got one with dud batteries then the speaker ALWAYS has to be plugged into a USB power point . So I need to have it plugged into my laptop just to listen to music downloaded onto my kindle . All rather pointless when I could just be listening to my music through the laptop .
The only plus side is that it does provide a decent quality of sound when cranked up compared to the laptop or kindle .
on 6 March 2013
Small and neat, this does the trick. It sits on my desktop attached to my Kindle Fire HD and enables me to listen to the radio / music while I work. When the phone rings, I simply switch off the Mini Speaker. It is perfect for my needs and delivers a good external source of sound. It works straight out of the box. Only slight problem I found was that, if you have your Kindle plugged into the mains and the mini speaker into your PC to charge, you get electrical interference when the speaker and Kindle are attached. Since the Mini Speaker runs for ages without having to be charged constantly, this isn't a problem and certainly doesn't affect performance.
on 20 November 2012
I love this little speaker that is so original and has such a great sounnd. I bought it for my new fire hd which already has good speakers but this little inkpot lookylike is good for your ipod too and other devices. It is so light and easy to carry about once charged, and so enhances the sound which makes for a much better listening experience altogether. Nice for films and music and I suspect audiobooks.

It comes with a usb charger which doesnt take too long, but have yet to find out how long a charge lasts for if its turned off after use?

I agree with the reviewer that mentioned about the plastic packaging you have to cut off, its awfull. Someone should invent something new to take its place. Otherwise, no problem at all (as they say).
on 13 June 2013
Must admit pleasantly surprised by the sound quality from such a compact speaker, the only down side is the Jack plug that connects it to the kindle does not fit fit into the kindle if u are using a kindle armour case as the hole in the case is to small to let the male end far enough into the Jack port have to take the kindle out of case.
on 3 April 2014
Well,after reading some reviews I had my doubts.However,I must have touched lucky because the item arrived in a couple of days and could not have been any easier to use.The item is simplicity itself,screw the top open,connect the lead into the Kindle Fire and away you go,lovely tone.The item is compact,easy to move around with and sits next to my Kindle anywhere I care to listen to the music.I would definitely recommend this product.
on 15 October 2014
I'm always dubious about buying small speakers because the sound usually isn't that good. I certainly can't say that about this mini speaker. I was amazed that such as small object could pack such a punch. You can hear bass through it and it's sound is clear. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend this product. It also came well within the time specified and was well protected.
on 15 November 2013
I have just received the Marware UpSurge Mini Speaker and, despite all the negative comments on here, I am delighted with them. The product comes with two cables; Kindle to speaker and speaker to laptop for charging. It took about 10 minutes to fully charge and the difference the speaker makes is astounding. I listen to music and Audiobooks on my Kindle but without headphones the sound is tinny and subdued. This speaker brings it all together and now music sounds just as good as on a DVD player and Audiobooks sounds like the narrator is in the room. This is going to be a huge bonus for my long regular drives as buying audio CDs is too expensive and listening through headphones whilst driving is illegal. Those of you having problems should contact Amazon who have always been extremely helpful to me.