1,536
Size: 1 TB|Style: Component Boxed|Change

on 3 October 2014
I recently purchased two WD Red 1TB drives for use on a small NAS device, supplying content to a hifi system. They work well, with just one caveat; the NAS needs to be in a different room. Otherwise, they work exactly as I wanted them to, were supplied promptly in appropriate packaging, were easily fitted into my QNAP drive and came at a good price. Can't really ask for more than that, though it's only as the years pass that their reliability will become apparent.

A small word about the noise level. These aren't noisy drives; far from it, they're far quieter than the drives they replaced and in, say, an office environment they wouldn't really intrude at all. But since I'm using them to supply music to my (good) hifi, and I do have ears that are quite sensitive, I found the noise these drives made intrusive in an environment where I want to listen to music. If there'd been an available cupboard in the room, that would have sufficed to keep the noise away; as there wasn't, I placed the NAS in another room and linked it with a longer cable. Job done, I'm happy. If you are buying these for a similar function then be aware that you may have similar issues. Otherwise, I'm perfectly content and happy to recommend them.
on 18 November 2016
Note this review if I remember I will update after several months regarding if they still reliable.
I already own 2 RED 3TB drives about 18 months old, and was a bit surprised when I got these drives.
These 2 new drives with the same model number (but different revision) have no NCQ support, 512byte sectors (vs 4k on the older drives) and more frequent parking of the heads. In addition one of the drives has an extra gig space which is bizzarre.

I have tested one of the 2 new drives however and its significantly outperforming my 2 older drives.

Also the seller shipped these really fast I got the next day when I only selected standard delivery (prs group uk ltd)
on 1 April 2017
Bought in July 2013 and it's still going strong (as of Apr 2017). No specifics as to red/write, but it does what I need it to. Have herd a couple of noises from it over the years, but they are standard HDD noises, just a little louder than some drives - Saying that, a lot quieter than a lot of drives! Been in almost constant since I bought it. Cost me £104.99 and it's still about the same price now!
on 14 June 2017
Bought these to increase the storage on my Synology 412+ NAS Box, which has been getting close to maxed out for some time. Only just started using them, but from a day-one perspective, hot-swapping the drives out (one at a time, of course) has taken about 12 hours per swap to get the RAID repaired and the box back up to full speed.

I've another two of these in transit, that when installed should triple the amount of available storage available.

In short then, a good product, at a reasonable price, supplied quickly and efficiently. Doesn't get much better then that.
on 23 June 2017
Before buying these drives I was a bit worried about the noise level, having previously bought a WD 2TB Black HDD which is too noisy and has been resigned to be a temporary drive to reduce its use. But I needn't have worried. I put a pair of these drives in a QNAP NAS to upgrade the capacity and even running under a test to make sure they are okay they are quiet by comparison to many other drives I have experienced. Sitting next to the computer I am not aware that they are in use so I am very happy.

I was also pleasantly surprised that instead of the stated 3-4 days delivery they were delivered in the evening of the next day.
on 15 November 2016
Bought to replace a broken Seagate drive is a NAS box, it has been running well for a while now. Two drives have now been replaced with WD Reds (the first provided under warranty from the box manufacturer), two others are the original OEM Seagates which seem to be failing one at a time. Seagate have been poor hard drives since the early 2000's, no idea why companies still insist on putting them in their products.
on 29 March 2017
Bought two of these to go into a synology NAS drive after reading some of the previous positive reviews.

I have not had them long enough to comment on their durability but the read/write speeds are good and the drives are incredibly quiet, the NAS box sits in a cupboard behind my desk and other than the occasional slight vibration you would never know that it was running.
on 23 March 2017
really silent, and does not seems to overheat. I have installed 4 of this in a Qnap453A, and the temperature stays around 30-35 degree full load.
Only time would tell if they are reliable, but i have a 2TB version in a pc, spinning 24/7 since 4 years now, without any problem
on 28 May 2017
Does as it says on the label - 1Tb hard drive - (well about 970Gb). For NAS use only as it can take the hours of being constantly on, but not the usage a black WD, Blue WD takes with being switched on and off and being written too.
Advice - BEFORE YOU FIT THE DRIVE, REGISTER IT WITH WESTERN DIGITAL (Google WD product registration). THIS MEANS IF IT FAILS WITHIN WARRANTY THEN SUPPORT IS A LOT QUICKER!..
on 12 October 2016
Very quiet and fast ish.

First 1tb can do over 100mb/s at all times. If you are using this to put games on like me I'd adivce to split this into 2 parts 1tb and 2tb. Store you music and docutments on the slightly slower 2tb parts and commonly played games on the 1tb part.

Other than that it's very nice. The packaging could be a lot better since there is no foam or air to pad it out, just the box and some carboard inside to hold it up.