on 9 February 2014
I ordered a few of them to replace a raid array with some hitachi drives. This drive is really cheap which is of course great. But first i had lots of faulty drives on arrival (from different sellers which makes me think the drive is probably the culprit). And i find them significantly slower in random access than the hitachi deskstars. I also had some compatibility issues with an adaptec raid card but adaptec never claimed to support this drive either. Seems to work fine on an lsi megaraid card. So all in an OK drive but we get what we pay for.
on 11 January 2016
These are the only drives I use for my NAS current set up is RAID5. Since I have moved over to Western Digital drives I have had zero failures, silent and huge storage for little outlay. Although how well my latest purchase will fair is unknown, as it was posted through the door and landed on the floor I'm seeing red. Amazon need to sort out their packaging bubble wrap and a cardboard outer doesn't cut it for a hard drive.
on 4 January 2015
Before I start, I'd like to point out that I've had none of the problems that other users are experiencing with registering the warranty. Out of the box they registered perfectly, "in region" and for the full period of time.

I have 8 of these running 24/7 across two of my Netgear ReadyNAS's and they have been rock solid performers for just over a year now.

They run extremely cool and quiet compared to other drives I have used in the past with MUCH better read/write speeds, not to mention they're very competitively priced. These are a must have for any NAS owner.
on 28 June 2017
Product stopped working after 3 months.
on 11 March 2018
# 3 Short offline Completed: read failure 90% 13528 15
# 4 Short offline Completed: read failure 90% 13528 9
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 July 2015
Lottery, you say. There is a high probability that you'll receive a broken product.

I've recently bought a new NAS, and 8 of these drives. Two were DOA, and a third failed a few days later.

Caveat emptor: WD don't seem to have a QA department. It's absolutely shocking that so many of these drives make it out of their factories not working.

In short, don't waste your time or money with these hard drives.
22 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 February 2015
Bought on 7/1/2015 for Sinology 215j NAS DiskStation.
Very easy to fit and set up using DSM software(included) to access from my iMac 27/OS 10.10.1(Yosemite) and MacBooks.
Quiet running and seems to be working well so far. Good value, so I've now bought another 4TB HD.
Lots of extra software apps. included within DSM, anti-virus etc. but some are a bit techy, so lots to investigate for those motivated geeks.
on 23 October 2015
As always WD drives perform faultlessly.

I have a number in my NAS and none of had issues. I always make sure I buy a month apart to hopefully get separate batches.

WD drives perform better than Seagate in my opinion and Seagate drives have suffered from known reliability issues in recent years. How the mighty have fallen.
on 27 January 2016
Replaced an ailing 1.5Tb drive, this one is quieter and faster than its predecessor. Can't really vouch for its capabilities relative to the other (non NAS) variants from WD, but in my QNap TS-119Pro NAS drive this particular 3Tb drive is great. Long-term reliability remains to be seen, but I feel confident that I've picked a quality drive that will cope with the moderate demands I will place upon it.
on 17 August 2015
So far so good. I bought this drive to replace a Seagate (no laughing at the back) drive that had gone Tango Uniform in my QNAP NAS. Not only is this WD drive so far reliable it is cooler, faster and much quieter than the drive it replaced. In fact I can no longer hear my NAS when on, unlike the tugboat like audio disaster that was the Seagate drive.