1,275
Size: 3 TB|Style Name: Non Retail Boxed|Change

on 1 January 2013
Western Digital 2TB 3.5inch SATA6 Internal Hard Drive - Red

The drive was received inside a box with loads of scrunched up brown paper inside another box. The drive itself was inside a sealed anti-static bag, wrapped in bubble-wrap.

The drive has been incorporated into an unRAID NAS after pre-clearing and exercising to ensure it has no errors. It is currently holding about a terabyte of data built from the parity drive after a 1 terabyte drive died on me and is currently being RMA'd to Western Digital.

OUT OF REGION WARRANTY

However, on registering this drive with Western Digital, it said it was "Out of Region". Their web site explains what this means but in essence it means it does not have a Western Digital warranty so you would have to send it back to Amazon for replacement. Now Amazon say they will only give it a 1 year warranty. So I have been conversing with both Western Digital and Amazon to try and get this sorted out. The product description does not say anything about a reduction in the length of warranty. If I buy a genuine Western Digital "RED" drive I expect to receive the "RED" warranty of 3 years. I am currently asking for recompense for the reduced warranty period or a replacement drive with a genuine Western Digital "RED" warranty of 3 years. Unfortunately, you cannot tell if the drive is "Out of Region" or not until you register the product.

I will update this review when I hear from Western Digital and Amazon.
2626 comments| 195 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 July 2014
Before install take a few .jpegs of HDD model no: and serial no:
Scan invoice.

Yeah register via WDs web portal, you'll get a message saying "Out of Region" and an warranty expiry 3yrs from registration date.

At this point use the portal to raise a WD "ticket" and simply explain the situation, include your .jpegs and copy of invoice.
If you can't add pics and invoice via WD portal,just wait till WD reply to the ticket you raised, and again explain along with your pics of model and serial no's: and copy of invoice.
WD will make the HDD valid in your region with the 3yr warranty we expected.

Also these HDDs are whisper quiet (anti vibration & intellipower 5400rpm - 5900rpm) compared to the 2 Hitachi Deskstars (7200rpm) that I was previously spinning....

Regards
22 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 April 2013
Excellent packaging and prompt delivery!

Bought these to replace two failed Seagate drives ( won't be getting those again )

So far so good, installed in synology NAS without issue!

Update March 2014. All three are still working flawlessly in my NAS.
on 24 August 2015
I purchased 2 drives for my Synology NAS. Items arrived in 3 days time (I don't have Prime subscription) nicely packed.
Before taking the plastic packaging off I have decided to confirm warranty from Western Digital (WD) website.
The WD website could recognise the drive with the serial number, but wouldn't let me register the drive as they are OEM. So, there is no warranty from the WD either.
In the product listing on the "standard" drive with is OEM, Amazon listed as 3 years warranty. I don't think Amazon will give any warranty from their side for more than one year. With this confusion, I have decided to return the drives.
So, if you bought one of the OEM or Standard drive, check out the warranty in the WD website. Else you might get a surprise if your drive stop working and no warranty.
I have given 3 stars as the drives might have been fine if I tried. But dropped 2 stars due to confusion in the listing about warranty.
review image
77 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 July 2013
The drive is everything that I expected it to be so far. I bought the drives to to in a Drobo 5N NAS box and the RED drives, which are recommended for this box, are fast. It is obviously too early to tell if they are reliable.

One heads-up that people should be aware of is the warranty. You get 3 years from Western Digital, and they have a dedicated customer support line just for the Red drives. Registering the drives online at their website is quick and easy, but in the case of the drives that I acquired via an Amazon Marketplace vendor it said "OUT OF REGION - Product is outside the region (Americas, Europe-Middle East-Africa, or Asia-Pacific) where it was originally shipped." What it means is that the Amazon Marketplace vendor didn't buy the drives directly from WD in EMEA, but instead sourced them from the Americas or Asia-Pacific. Luckily this isn't a big deal for a home user because your product is still covered by the full 3 year warranty, but you are limited to 5 RMA's per year for out of region products.

Are my 5 drives going to cause 5 RMA's in one year? I hope not! If you had 50 drives you may have an issue though as any good engineer knows the chance of drive failure increases in proportion to the number of drives that you have.

So buyer beware - get a product direct from Amazon and I guess it will be officially sourced. If you do get an out of region product from a Marketplace vendor you will still get support but there will be caveats.
22 comments| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The Western Digital's Red range of SATA hard disks is designed specifically for use in home and small business NAS devices. With this purpose in mind, the WD's are built for durability, power efficiency and low noise levels of just 23dB(A). Western Digital's `Intellipower' system, which uses caching, promises faster throughput than you'd expect from a 5,400rpm disk.

There is however a small downside, the poor slow file write speed means that these disks are less than ideal if, for instance, you want to habitually back up lots of documents to your NAS, But this has to be balanced by the Red's low power consumption, low noise levels and three year warranty make it well suited to its intended purpose - NAS storage. You could buy the Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB for slightly less if performance isn't so important.

Review update: 27.10.2013

Important note - I managed to attend IP EXPO at Earls Court recently and managed to speak to Western Digital people about the WD Red NAS drives, and they have confirmed what I have read on the WD website - that you should only have between 1 to 5 drives in anyone single NAS unit. If you, let us a say, have a unit like the Synology 1813+ (an 8 bay unit) you are strongly advised not place any more than 5 WD Reds in the unit. As clusters of above 5 drives will give vibration issues that can lead a drive to believe that it has `failed'. For that reason I am reducing my WD Reds in the 1813+ down from 8 to 4. The remaining 4 bays I will `populate' with WD Se 4TB drives. Obviously the decision is yours on what types of drives you use - I have decided on the WD Se drives as they have very good specification and the extra outlay is just about within my budget. Now I know, on the internet, there is some debate out there in the `forums' and blogs about this issue and its `validity' of the five drive maximum- but this is what I have heard from WD and thought best to share.

Review update: 27.10.2013

on 8 September 2012
For a long time there have been 2 sectors of the hard drive market.

Domestic drives, which offered good value for money, but were not specified to run 24 hours a day, and increasingly had lousy warranties, often just one year.

Enterprise drives, which were specced to run in servers, RAID arrays and the like, had 3 to 5 year warranties, but cost significantly more than their domestic counterparts. They could cost double or 3 times what a basic drive would.

WD has spotted the gaping hole in the market, those of us who want to build a small network attached storage unit, but didn't want to rink putting cheap drives with their 1 year warranties inside.

Hence the Red series. These drives are specified to be used in NAS devices, with a 3 year warranty and - it's claimed - improvements to the hardware to increase life expectancy. The price premium for the Red series seems to be about 20% above the domestic equivalents, which, if they deliver, seems reasonable.

So far I've installed 1 2tb drive with no problems. Let's see how reliable it proves to be, but Red seems to be just what many of us have been looking for!
66 comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 January 2013
Just Returned Drive DOA - It was sent in a tan bubble mailer envelope.

Just concerned about ordering another from AMAZON if the are sending out Hard Drive like this ....
1414 comments| 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 May 2013
When your drive arrives in a grand total of:-

One static bag covered by one cheap eco lite jiffy bag and one standard Amazon cardboard fold-over pack you know things are not hopeful for your drive.

Put me down for one dead drive (NAS recognises that there is a drive in the bay but cannot do anything with it). Its a shame as I already have one of these HDD's and it is great. However this was sent by a seller/fulfiller that knew what they were doing.

So back to Amazon for a refund this one goes. So a warning, if the description states Amazon frustration free packaging DO NOT RISK IT,
review image
33 comments| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse