VINE VOICEon 6 August 2012
There are many Northern Soul compilations out there but this is a good one with excellent sound quality and a solid track selection. Some of the tracks were released on CD in the 'Talcum Soul' series but with less sound quality, others were spread across the excellent 'Soul Underground' two CDs and others. There are strong choices made from such as Herman Hitson, Lou Rawls, Jive Five and Annabelle Fox that are less obvious selections but all the better for it. At this price you really can't go wrong and can buy with confidence.

Here is the track listing:

disc 1
6. A Lil' Lovin' Sometimes - Alexander Patton
7. I Love You, Baby - Cindy Scott
9. Hooked by Love - Homer Banks
10. What Are You Trying to Do - Irma Thomas
11. You're a Puzzle (Feat. Eugene Pitt) - Jive Five (The)
12. Mr. Soul Satisfaction - Timmy Willis

17. Looking for You - Garnet Mimms
19. Fortune Teller - Benny Spellman
20. Yes You Did - Hermon Hitson
21. Stolen Hours - Patrice Holloway
22. She Blew a Good Thing - Poets (The)
23. What's Wrong with Me Baby - Invitations
24. I Walked Away - Bobby Paris
25. I'm on My Way - Dean Parrish
on 26 March 2013
Yet another excellent compilation of Northern Soul nostalgia. OK so some of the tracks are very well known amongst collectors and have appeared on previous collections, but even so there are sufficient gems (including my own favourite "She Blew a Good Thing" by The Poets) to mark this set out as being special. It was nice to see "Skiing In The Snow" by the Invitations rather than the more usual Wigan's Ovation, but the real joy is to use "I'm On My Way" by Dean Parrish as the closing track on disc 2, I remember this always being played as the last disc of the night when I was young enough to last that long. Oh such happy memories.
on 19 December 2015
There really are some strong records on this one, I bought this for Ray Pollard's The Drifter when I was unable to find it on any other CD, but there are plenty of strong records on here for the price and rarities you're unable to find anywhere else. Not for a beginner soul fan, but certainly an intermediate. Strong tunes include the Invitation's What's Wrong with me, both visits by Little Anthony and The Imperials Barbara Bank's River Of Tears, Tina Britt's The Real Thing and yes Helen Shapiro's Stop And You'll Become Aware (great northern soul number no matter what the Northern Soul purist fascists might say!) great for the price and an essential for any CD obsessed fool such as myself.
on 9 September 2014
A good collection of Northern soul classics. This is a very good introduction to the genre. A lot of these tracks are available on other compilations. It is not the songs themselves but the way they are played together that is important. This compilation flows well.
on 1 May 2014
I am very impressed with this NS Vol 1 - cannot fault the quality tunes that are on here. I thought I had vol 2 - but I have so many NS CD's got me a bit confused. Maybe a 2nd volume in the pipeline? KTF
on 13 April 2013
I,m a 62 year old Northern Souler and just love this collection and every thing Northern Soul.
Keep The FAITH.
on 16 May 2013
This double cd brought together a lot of tunes that I had not heard for years and refreshed my memories of times gone by in my Manchester youth!

Great value for money.
on 9 March 2013
Every track has a memory from my first allnighter at bletsoe to wigan and blackpool mecca and cleathorpes.Talc on my laminate floor bass up high and i'm 18 again. Brilliant addition to my collection.
on 31 October 2013
Fantastic northern soul collectors..
Soon be weekend then i will play all three cds all weekend.
Listening to one or two tracks great cant wait for the weekend to listen to them all..
on 7 June 2015
I am a Northern Soul fan so probably very biased, a good collection but not a great one. I have many compilations of Northern Souls and this is not one of the best.