on 7 October 2017
I do like Monty Don on the TV he is great good books s
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 May 2013
I was given this book as a present by a friend to whom I am always waxing lyrical about how beautifully Monty Don writes.
And it does not disappoint.
Monty said recently that sometimes words are more powerful than pictures, can I put in a plea to those disappointed at the lack of these, that they just take a deep breath and start at page one?

I admit that I have been a fan of his writing since I picked up a copy of The Prickotty Bush, from a table in a bookshop sometime around 1990, not knowing who he was. It's not a happy memoir, but his writing fascinated me and I've followed him ever since. I ran up a large fine at the local library when I took The Jewel Garden on holiday and forgot to return it! (I even joined Twitter to 'follow' him!)

The Road to Tholonet is not a gardening book. It's not a tour of French Gardens. It's not a travel guide. It's a very personal part-memoir, part-gardening, part-art, part-history, part ramblings and musings on "life, the universe and everything".
I found it fascinating, and strangely, I found myself calming down reading it. All I need to do now is to persuade my family that a holiday in Aix-en-Provence is exactly what they need - because, having finished the book, I feel it's exactly what I need.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 January 2015
I like Monty Don and was keen to read this book. However, it started off well and I laughed at some of the stories but as the book went on it seems to get rushed and there are few funny moments but rather a list like description of gardens. I regret I got 50% of the wat through and gave up which is unusual for me.
on 15 September 2014
What a glorious journey the reader is given in this book! Sometimes descriptive, sometimes reminiscing and sometimes musing and philosophical; this is a book to treasure, re-read and think about. Not only does Monty Don write beautifully, he is a generous author, sharing his thoughts and impressions with the reader in a way that takes us there. The only aspect of the book that I did not enjoy was the end - I wanted the journey to continue.
on 14 May 2013
I am the author of this book and am sad that some buyers are disappointed by the lack of colour pictures. May I make it clear that this book is not a traditional glossy, purely descriptive garden book. It is a book to be read rather than merely looked at. The only pictures are deliberately incidental and B & W. That is a carefully thought out decision and the book has been beautifully put together by the publishers. So If you are hoping for a traditional coffee-table garden book then please do not buy it! If on the other hand you want a good read...
22 Comments| 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 February 2016
I bought this book on impulse following a visit to Gardeners World at the NEC. The purchase was largely the a result of the author's relaxed; welcoming, and jovial mode of presentation of the TV programme of the same name.

My initial concerns over my profound lack of horticultural knowledge were soon allayed as I quickly found myself scything through pages of the author's personal journey through the formative stages of his life; underpinned by an appreciation for, and an articulation of the gardening styles of the nation of France.

The narrative was light; witty and peppered with the sublime. It is one of the few books that has allowed me to escape the grim realities of the daily grind; feeling refreshed at journeys end.
on 13 September 2013
This is a wonderful book - So evocative and refreshing to read. It is a joy to see these gardens through Monty Don's eyes because he is really a writer AND a gardener. He lets the reader participate in his own views and meandering thoughts. As he is never unpleasantly judgmental, it is a pleasure to follow his descriptions and reflections. If you are interested in gardens and if you like memoirs that offer unobtrusive grains of wisdom and interesting information and that have the capacity to set you dreaming and thinking, you will love this book.
on 8 April 2017
Read right through on receiving. Really evocative and a light touch with the prose. I read it in the sunshine next to sprouting artichokes and dwarf lavender and feel inspired. Have recommended it to even non-gardening friends as a good holiday read. It's definitely not a gardening book though. Think more Toast by Nigel Slater relative to his cookbooks.
on 2 June 2013
The Road to Le Tholonet: A French Garden Journey is beautifully written. It is literary travel writing at its best. A joy to read, interwoven with insights about gardens and many things. The grainy black and white photos are perfectly in tune with the ambience of the writing. The Road to Le Tholonet is a delightful book, honest, slightly unconventional and unique, rather like Mr Don himself.
on 7 January 2017