on 18 December 2016
For this who don't know Madhur Jaffrey is a hugely talented cook whose recipes are easy to follow and delicious. We are regular curry eaters and a fresh and flavoursome curry comes miles above anything you can buy in the supermarket. If you haven’t tried cooking your own curry yet, give it a go. You won't look back. I bought this product at £5 from Amazon and it is an absolute bargain.
on 13 July 2017
This is my first curry book. I usually head to VahChef's channel on Youtube & other curry blogs, but often online recipes contain errors in their ingredients list. After a few years of online blogs, videos and eBooks, I started developing a phobia so am back to good old hard-copy cooking books.

This book has lots of pictures and easy-to-follow recipes. I already have 3/4 of all ingredients she mentions so there is a real 1-to-1 appeal to just get on with cooking (unlike baking, where I had to make sure I had all the baking tins). The ingredients mentioned look genuine and differ from one recipe to the next. I don't feel that shortcuts or flavour dumbing-down was applied. Much like Mexican food, Indian food is as punchy and I want to taste that authenticity (not what is served in most of these so-called "Indian" restaurants in London. Even their biryani is fake and I tried 3 restaurants in Brick Lane).

My 4-star review is based on trying 3 recipes: (1) Chicken Tikka Masala (p.76), (2) Bengali-style fish curry (p.--) and (3) Tomato chutney (p.188). I even adapted the Tikka Masala for a veggy version using paneer. My vegetarian parents loved it! All dishes came out great. There wasn't too much of one taste or another. All flavours were well-pitched and very moreish (I guess this part comes from her habit of suggesting use of stock-cubes - i usually hate stock-cubes, it's like adding cheese on everything). But her curry gravies are very moreish. You just want one last paratha to mop up any leftover sauce on the plate!

Like a good student, I follow all amounts to the letter but the only thing I am doing consciously right now, is that I am using MILD red chilli powder. When I know more about what I am doing, I will switch to HOT red chilli powder. I think this should be acceptable until such time as I master the book. Right now, it takes me ages to do one curry perfectly. But on second attempt, it takes me half the original time. So this is excellent progress in my view.

Note: This book is no substitute for basic cooking skills. You still need to know how to fry fish and cook meat so they are safe, juicy and not overcooked. If you bring in that kind of skills, then our recipes will turn up fine. I'd suggest building confidence in basic meat cooking and then attempt a recipe in the book. E.g. I know nothing about stewing or pressure-cooking mutton or goat, so i need to start there.
on 5 November 2016
really great recipes. all of them i've tried just work! the book is quite small and there arent many photos in it but i feel an established enough home cook now to read through a recipe and envisage what it would be like so i'm okay with lack of photos. there are SOME photos though.
on 30 September 2016
Nice looking recipes and some good tips for Indian cooking. It's let down in places by missing ingredients (e.g. page 44 - lamb browned in its own sauce - where are the tomatoes that I'm told to add mid way through?), and ill conceived advice. The chicken and spinach recipe for example begins with advice to make a sauce and then 'brown' the chicken pieces in the sauce. You can poach raw chicken in sauce but it won't brown.
on 1 August 2016
My other curry recipe books are now defunct. I bought this copy online for my vegetarian daughter who tells me the dahl I cooked was the best thing she had ever tasted! These recipes are fabulous - a great selection from very easy to slightly more complicated. Never been to India but they all taste like home cooked food - if you see what I mean. And a real bargain at £5 - perfect present for any cook.
on 18 April 2017
I was a bit disappointed with the contents as I thought it would have been more advanced. If I could have had a pre-view I would not have bought the book.
on 11 May 2017
It's ok ish, there is maybe one recipe I would use in yhe whole book.
on 25 April 2017
As a very poor cook, this was very easy to understand and follow. Recommend.
on 4 June 2017
This is the better book for curry l;overs
on 27 April 2017
Good book. Came in good shape.