on 9 October 2003
Compared to many self-help books this is refreshingly basic and straightforward. There is minimal theorizing and a large number of day to day examples of how to deal positively with potentially difficult and stressful situations e.g. passing your driving test, insomnia, self-assertiveness, arguments and so on. Much of it we may know already but Vera Peiffer leaves you inspired by spelling out the positive thinking solutions and strategies so clearly.
Peiffer suggests that the quality of your thoughts determines the quality of your life and that whatever you send out to others comes back like a boomerang. With this in mind, long and short versions of affirmations are scattered throughout the book and every so often there are underlined notes such as "never give up", "things are meant to go right", "a person who is interested is interesting" and "whatever you spend a lot of time thinking about will become bigger". After reading the last quote you suddenly get a lot more careful about what you are thinking about!
An excellent book full of useful reminders.
on 13 January 2000
I have read books throughout the years on this type of subject and think this author is really good. The writing was clear and easy to read and understand with a lot of common sence. Some other authors just give you psychological babble which means absolutely nothing and you are more confused then when you started (such as John Gray) I am now going to buy her other books.
on 29 December 2008
Great book - covers lots of areas including a particularly interesting one on how you can cause and heal illness by the thoughts you have. Also covers stress, worrying and remorse, lonliness, jealousy and envy. It contains quite a lot of information on relaxation and has a section about personality traits. I found it very uplifting and useful to dip in and out of as the book is broken up into quite a lot of sections. Very thought-provoking!
on 30 October 2008
I bought several books on the same subject at once - this was the best by far. Well structured, with a really good understanding of the subject, enough empathy for the reader yet plenty of thought-provoking ideas, challenge and action points. Reading it felt like getting a constructive "kick up the behind" from a friend - uncomfortable reading at times, but completely worth while.
on 22 May 2009
Simple, clear and concise this a really brilliant read and a book you'll pick up more than once word of warning though do not and I repeat DO NOT lead this book to anyone as I had to buy it twice because I never got it back from one person and an another took ages and loads of knagging before I got this one back so remember you have been warned :)This book has a sequel "More Positive thinking" which is OK but I prefer this one.
on 18 January 2011
I found this book very enspiring and made me look at my own life in quite some depth, I now get up in the mornings and come to work with a totally different outlook and being more positive inside helps me to deal with negativtity on the outside.
on 25 October 2013
From the time I started reading the first page I could not put this book down. I can relate to many situations described in this book,the explanations and helpful tasks are brilliant. I highly recommend this book for anyone with small or big worries that can take over. By following the well explained helpful tasks each day you will feel the difference. I have been following these exercises each day for a few months and feel a great improvement in my thinking to be more rationalised. I worry less about the things that I can't control and feel much calmer and positive. Thank you Vera.
on 17 April 2012
I needed to buy something for students leaving school - around 16yr olds. This book was perfect- educational and useful in life. They appreciated it. It explains how to handle situations in the most positive way. A lovely thought for people of all ages.
on 15 November 2012
I brought this a while ago and still dip into it every now and then. Very good for helping you get positive again if you're having some down time.
on 19 September 2013
Had this years ago and lent it someone so was really pleased when I saw an updated book. Positive advice to read when you need it