Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 29 September 2012
With their third album 'Pacifica' Australian duo The Presets (Julian Hamilton,
vocals and keys and Kim Moyes, Drums and keys) have delivered as good a
collection of inventive electro-pop as we are likely to experience this year.

What they have in spades is the ability to create really good tunes which
transcend the potential coldness of the machines with which they craft them.
There is real warmth in their arrangements which, although artfully indebted
to the spirit of the eighties, lifts our spirits and impels us to dance.

There are ten numbers in the set and with songs as well-crafted as 'Fall' (a
pulsing anthem full of throbbing synths and bubbling beats); 'Promises' (an
incandescent invention which curiously brings Rick Astley to mind!) and the
rumbustious Latin-infused mayhem of 'Fast Seconds' under their belts they more
than deserve their fifteen minutes in the spotlight of the listening world.

Mr Hamilton has a terric voice; a rock-solid instrument with a truly impressive
range, whether out on its own or wrapped up in stunning multi-layered harmonies.
He really excels on the poignant but uplifting final track 'Fail Epic' which on
its own merits is more than worth the price of purchase. An inspiring conclusion.

Splendid stuff from top to tail!

Highly Recommended.
on 26 April 2013
They may not make music often, but when they do, the Presets do a damn fine job. This has a more pop feel to it than the last cd, with the songs not feeling as dark or jagged, though the tracks have a longer, slow burning feel to them which works in the cd's favour. Overall, a truly great album, one which makes you wish they'd not take so long to release albums.
on 12 January 2013
Definitely a must-hear. It took me a while to get used to the singer's voice, which I did while listening to Apocalypso, but now I am completely addicted. In my ears while doing sports, makes me want to excel. I also like the sleeve. Congrats!!! I hope they will come to Switzerland.
on 24 September 2013
I'd never heard of The presets, until hearing a remix of 'It's Cool' on Anjunadeep Vol.5. and I totally fell in love with it. The CD arrived earlier than expected and has more than lived up to expectation.
on 15 October 2012
Not such a big first impression as the previous 2 LPs, but this is definately a grower!
For me I picked up on a very emotional undercurrent to the tracks, so it's not a full on dance floor killer/
on 9 October 2012
This is the sound of a band who have abandoned their scruples in favour of a cynical attempt to get radio play.

How can this be the same outfit that produced one of my fav tracks of all time in 'Are you the one'?!.
This is so bad I can barely believe it, easily the most radical shift in style I have ever heard in a band.

From dark electro pounding they have produced a selection of songs that sound like forgotten Rick Astley B-sides - the singer really does sound like Astley too! When they do attempt to beef things up they basically bottle it and it all slopes off with a whimper.

This is truly horrendous stuff, worst album of 2012 by a country mile.
on 11 September 2014
Bought the vinyl by mistake ! Ha ha did not pay enough attention when buying it I thought it was a CD ,so I haven't listened to it
on 3 September 2014
its ok but not their best
on 5 March 2013
I'm on my way to buy this since it sounds so good. The music and the voice of this guy are just what I'm looking for!