Customer reviews

Jewels
Format: Audio Download|Change

on 1 August 2017
Really enjoyed the book - could not put it down until I had finished reading it.
on 8 October 2017
Another classic Danielle Steel
on 6 July 2010
This story starts as Sarah Whitfield stands waiting for her children on the eve of her 75th birthday. We are then taken through the memory of her life.

Her first marriage to Freddie is a disaster as he regrets marrying her. finds her boring and is not ready for marriage anyway. Her parents take her on a trip round Europe when she divorces him to try and get over the trauma. When she gets to London she meets William, Duke of Whitfield. She falls in love with him and they buy a French chateau. When they are parted by war Sarah waits for Williams return and her chateau is taken over by the Germans, so she spends the war years living side by side with the Germans and befriends a commander.

We are taken through Sarah's 75 years and I preferred the first half of the book, ie pre war and war years to the second half ie after war. I found Sarah children completely unlikable, but then, I think there supposed to be. Especially Philip, what an ass. I thought Sarah was pretty shallow towards the end also, she didn't like her grand kids cause they were boring and pale skinned. She felt sorry for Philip because he had to have affairs because his wife was boring, much like Sarah with her first husband. Also it was ok for Emmanule to have an affair with minister because his wife was sick and they were doing no harm! For the first 2/3 s of this book, definitely 5 stars, last 1/3 3 stars.
on 27 July 2001
One of Danielle's best books. I found it stimulating and worth reading again and again. I enjoyed the way Sarah's life is followed from a young girl to when she is an old woman. The problems she experiences with her children will probably be understood by any parent.
on 28 July 1999
From the moment I picked up this book I was completly engrosed in the lives of the characters, so much that I actually yearned to be a part of it myself. It will take you through a roller coaster of emotions and is truly the best she has ever written.
on 23 November 1999
I HAVE READ ALL OF DANIELLE STEEL BOOKS, THIS ONE IS ONE OF THE BEST, ONCE YOU PICK IT UP YOU CANNOT PUT IT DOWN. A LOVELEY AND HEARTFELT STORY AS WITH ALL THE NOVELS SHE WRITES YOU FEEL THAT YOU ARE INSIDE THE STORY WITH THE CHARCATERS AND THAT YOU SHOULD BE TELLING THEM WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN. A MUST FOR ANYBODY TO READ - IT WILL APPEAL TO ALL AGES.
on 12 September 2014
I just love Danielle Steels books, having read this one some years ago and re read it in hard back, decided to buy on kindle. So engrossed in it on holiday reliving the characters, great in-depth feelings are portrayed as the story unwinds with many twists and turns. One can't help feeling on an emotional roller-coaster with the characters, some you hate, some you love, but I guess that's a writer for you, capturing your mind and emotions throughout the story leaves you wanting more once the book has been read.
on 13 July 2014
Was very informative
Made you believe each character in the book
A very very good read would recommend it
Deb
on 8 July 1999
this is one of the best Danielle Steel novels I have read... It is amazingly brilliant, well worth a read
on 13 August 2013
I first read Jewels when I was 17 and this remains my most favourite of all the Danielle Steel novels I have read. The life and love shared between William and Sarah throughout the entire book is absolutely charming and sought after by many. The film adaptation starring Anthony Andrews is also a wonderful interpretation.