on 22 May 2017
Bought so that I have a copy in kindle format because of lack of shelf space. As a Christian - albeit a confused one at times I found Dave's approach quite refreshing and enjoyable to read when I took a copy of this book out as a library book. Have since bought it several times as a present for friends and finally decided to buy it myself. Should say a friend who is agnostic has also read it and she got a lot from reading it too.
on 16 August 2017
Brilliant. The first DT book I've read and I'll be reading more. Funny with pockets full of wisdom and insight. It's okay to "be a bad Christian".

Have since passed this book to a couple of Curates and the feedback from them has been equally as good :-)
on 21 May 2017
Possibly he goes a little far out in his approach in some ways, but I was glad to go with him even if I did think 'Hang on a minute' sometimes. Perhaps the best thing I can say is 'If only doctrine when it has to be taught could be taught with as much wisdom as this'. He brought God close to me in friendship without minimizing His holiness.
on 29 May 2017
Interesting book
on 1 August 2017
Gosh, I'm bad, loved by God though, questions are great :-)
on 25 November 2012
Excellent book steering us away from the legality that seems a problem with all religions including christianity. It brings us back to normality and reality of what it really means to follow Jesus.
on 5 May 2017
Just what the church needs to hear!
on 21 August 2017
Stimulating fresh look at Christianity!
on 9 October 2012
I read Dave's book of about 200 pages of admittedly good, clear, very legible type (with nice line illustrations), in an hour and a half on a train journey, for once truly a book I could not put down, liberating and refreshing.

It is lighter than his earlier books which I should also recommend, because unlike them, I guess this is especially for those on the fringe of the Church, those moving perhaps towards the exit and those wondering whether to come in, and, the cover says, especially for those outside "who nevertheless attempt to live in the spirit of Christianity".

It is also, I think, a book for those oppressed by the narrow, sometimes nice but too often somewhat nasty religion that has come to dominate, inside church doors, at least at the higher levels in much of my part of the world - the Diocese of Sydney and, perhaps, for example, in too many parts of the Vatican. And it is for all who think that such religion is what Christianity is all about (including those who burden too many with it).

The title itself and the cover help to make this a book one might put in the way of some of those folk, and encourage bookstores to display it (as I have already discovered).

Of course, it is not a "serious" theological study (though it is based on such study and much practical pastoral experience). Again, does it doe not touch on every major aspect of Christian faith but its chapters with their punchy headings do range fairly widely, from "Bumping into God : how to find God without going near a church" to "God is not a Christian : how to appreciate other religions without losing your own", and "Did God write anything else ? how to read the Bible and other good books". And it does not touch greatly at all on the dark evil that can readily be found in human society and human hearts outside, much more than inside, the Christian Church and other faith communities, and that we know only too well and encounter only too often. That is not its purpose.
on 18 February 2014
I bought this having borrowed a friends copy when I raced through it during a weekend visit. Reading through it at a more leisurely pace, I again found I couldn't put it down. I would definitely recommend this if you're interested in Christianity or have been a Christian for a while, but find yourself struggling with 'churchiness,' and questioning the status quo. I found it a very liberating read, getting plenty of wisdom out of every chapter. Dave writes in a really accessible, amusing and thoughtful way, with common sense and less of the churchy words that so often get in the way of understanding (at least for people like me!) Just read it, it's brilliant!