Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.99

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 11 November 2014
When it comes to topics like the Holocaust I am ashamed to admit that I am like most people in the world in that I approach the subject like an ostrich; sticking my head in the sand and trying to ignore that it ever happened.

From time to time however, a book or film that focuses on what is probably the greatest atrocity in the history of our species slips past my blinkers and every time I am equally horrified but also enthralled by the stories. This book was one of those occasions and though at times it was very hard to read (because of the content, not the quality of the writing) I am glad that I have read it.

This is the incredibly well written biography of a man born during the second world war and after learning of the terrible history his family suffered through, swearing vengeance against the men responsible. It can be effectively broken into two parts, the parts that detailed his life and then the story of his auntie as she recounted the horrors of Jewish life in Nazi Germany.

I am inclined to believe this story to be a non-fiction book even though the large majority of the book is unverifiable. The reason why I believe this is because of the absolute horror described in these pages.

I have read thousands of books in my life of various topics and watched countless movies to the point where I thought that I had become desensitized to horror elements in stories of both fact and fiction. This book proved me wrong on that front. The atrocities detailed in these pages had me often putting down the book in horror at what I was reading. Even the most disturbing fiction books I have read do not come close to this story and out of that thought alone I am inclined to believe that this book is true as I don't think anyone would ever lie about such things and expect to be believed. Only real life could ever be so blatantly bold and horrific.

Basically I think that this is an excellent book and a very important one. It is incredibly well written, gripping right from the start and deals with a topic that everyone should at least spend a small amount of time reading about if for no other reason than reading the stories of their suffering and making sure they are never forgot being the least that we can do for these people who suffered so greatly.
on 26 January 2013
I read this book a few years ago and its the best book I think I've ever read! Great insight into the evil of the nazi regime and the come-uppance that followed for some of them. I've read some other books from this author and each I think are good but none surpass this in my view.
on 30 May 2013
This is a flowing well written book that I find unput downable!

Ranulph Fiennes' style is unmatched for twists and turns and leaves you wanting more.

I have owned this book in hardback and paperback but its time for me to complete the set and get it on download.

I hope you enjoy this book as much as I have.
on 16 June 2013
I fell for the conceit at the start and thought that I was reading true Holocaust literature. How dumb could I be? This soon degenerates into boy's own stuff. Did he really have to take us to his precious Antarctic on top of all the rest? And did he really have to have a Tarzan and (literal)Jane episode there? The descriptions of Nazi atrocities are actually a bit OTT and gratuitous. I wasted some precious hours on this mediocre novel. He should stick to schlepping over the cold bits of the world.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 29 May 2014
This sweeping tale of adventure has an interesting premise and skirts the line between fact and fiction. Although Finnes and his publisher decided to badge this as fiction, the marketing machine did a really excellent job of blurring the lines again. In any event, It's fast paced, boys own stuff which I enjoyed as a piece of fiction. A chance meeting in an Airport stirs a deep rage within Derek Jacobs causing him to lash out at the man before him. Derek's subsequent investigations into the malevolent stranger lead him towards a group of Nazi hunters and their quest to bring holocaust perpetrators to justice. The adventure ranges from Rwanda to the Antarctic as our hero tracks a group hell-bent on re-starting a new Reich. Finnes crafts another fine story and offers the reader shades of espionage, infiltration and action, although there are some very dark moments surrounding ww2. I thought it wasn't as good as the Feather Men but I enjoyed it more than I did the Sett.
on 9 September 2015
A very good and interesting read
on 24 October 2014
Potential accuracy is brilliant.
on 28 April 2014
This book is an excellent read. I read this book a few years ago, and purchased this for my friend.
on 10 May 2013
A good read. Took a ling time to get into it. But good halfway through. Enjoyed once I got into it.
on 28 October 2014