on 5 March 2014
My old Russel Hobbs machine died a few days ago after about 20 years of service, and I was worried I'd have to spend lots to replace it. Was very surprised by the cost of this (about £33) - I had no idea you could get anything that cheaply. In no way is this a barista-level machine, but makes perfectly good filter coffee, which is all I need.
Contrary to some other reviews I'm finding it very easy to fill with water - just don't tip the jug at a very acute angle to start with as the lid (which is hinged) may tip.
The machine is very light (it's mostly plastic, which is understandable for the price) with a compact design, and the water levels on the jug and machine are easy to see. The filter is nice and wide and fits perfectly.
As you can see from the pictures it looks very smart, and I'm impressed by how much thought has gone into the design.
The 2hr auto turn-off is fine by me. Some may not be happy about that, but it's more than enough for my purposes (supposedly coffee begins to lose its taste after standing for about an hour anyway). I personally will probably not use the timer function, but it's ideal for those who know what time they'll be getting up in the morning. There's also an "Aroma" setting if you're just making one or two cups. This seemingly prevents weak coffee coming through when it starts brewing (percolating?) although I've not tried this (I like a lot of coffee).

Slight criticisms (not bad enough to lose a star) - the cable (about 18") may not be long enough for you.
The cable was also very tightly wound which seems to have given it a permanent kink.
There is some cardboard packaging under the lid (of the machine not the jug). A stray piece of cardboard fell into the water compartment. Had to turn it upside down to get it out.

Overall - nice coffee, easy to use, very affordable.
on 16 May 2014
First off, this is a very large machine so you need to check if you really want / need one that holds so many cups.
It is very difficult to pour water in because the openings are too far back and too narrow. I find it difficult not to pour some water down the side of the machine on to the worktop - irritating! One tip is to pour from the inside of the machine having turned it sideways - what a performance!
On the positive side, this machine does not impart a plastic taste to the coffee like some new machines do. The coffee just tastes of coffee - not very strong, but only coffee.
Now here's the bottom line. It really doesn't make excellent rich flavour coffee. It makes middle of the road coffee. It does make it hot however so it's not all mediocre.
Not the best purchase I've ever made but I am using it.
44 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 April 2015
I've used this every day since I have got it along with some Aroma Brown coffee filters. It does its job really well but there are a few minor issues:

* the water indication bead got stuck at the bottom in the first week. I have not been able to get that to move again.
* I have it sitting on a counter with some cupboards above it, I have to pull it out to refill the water due to the tank at the back (this would be fixable if the tank was removable)
* when you open the lid condensation on the inside of it pours down the back and onto the counter
* no battery backup of the clock display (brown-out in the night? no timed coffee in the morning)

Having said that it looks cool, fits in the corner of our kitchen nicely and makes great cups of coffee.
on 18 January 2013
We generally like to make half a pot in the morning and only make a whole pot if we have visitors. Our other coffee makers were a bit hit and miss on the flavour of the half pot, but this one has the 'Aroma' button. This allows the water to filter slower, therefore giving the coffee it's full flavour.
The reason it doesn't get 5* is the small problem of not being able to see the water level clearly. When adding water it's very difficult to see where the water level is, especially as we are only wanting to fill it half way. The simple solution to this is for the maufacturers to add a small floating ball to the tube, therefore making it obvious where the water level is.
on 30 January 2014
Pros

*It has an "aroma" function that slows down the filtering so the water stays in contact with the coffee for longer. It makes a real difference and extracts maximum flavour (and caffeine) from the coffee beans.
*Has a very bright blue LED clock that does not look tacky
*It can be programmed to make coffee at a certain time so you can wake up to / come home to a pot of coffee

Cons
*Aroma function only works with 6 cups or fewer, but it doesn't say if that is 6 large or small cups (the machine displays the level for both).
*It would be better if the LED clock matched the colour of the fascia (I think everyone gets a blue clock regardless of the rest of the machine's colour)
*None of the parts are dishwasher safe

Conclusion

I would definitely recommend.
on 11 February 2013
Easy to use, sits in the corner of the kitchen nicely, makes great coffee, keeps it red hot for 2 hours, just very pleased with it and historically I have had problems with coffee makers as I can taste a taint to the water, but not in this case.
on 24 February 2014
The machine does what is supposed to do and works good.
There are few minus points that could be improved:
1) The tank meter on the machine tank doesn't match with the measurement on the glass kettle.
2) The water level in the machine tank is difficult to see....it misses a red floating ball in it.
3) The opening to fill up the water tank in the machine is bit to small, so we need to be very careful when refilling.
4) After the coffee in done and I want to make some more coffee again, when I lift the lid condensation fells out side of the machine
on 14 March 2014
I couldn't find another coffee pot with a metal jug anywhere, our old supplier stopped selling them. So, I ordered this one. It is a good coffee maker, makes a full pot of coffee in about 10 minutes, quiet, etc. Don't like the glass jug, only because I know one day, one knock on the kitchen tap and its gone! Great to have the timer facility - no need for the extra wall timer we use to use! One BIG manufactuerer suggesstion - LOSE THE BRIGHT BLUE LIGHT on the display. My kitchen looks like something from an alien movie in the middle of the night.
on 28 March 2016
We've had this coffee maker for nearly a year now and can't praise it enough. It works really well, keeps the coffee piping hot for two hours, which all coffee makers I'd had before had failed to do, and it's really easy to programme. My husband and I both work so waking up to a perfect cup of coffee every morning makes the early starts much more pleasurable. It also looks and fits very well with our kitchen decor and it's a good size, not massive nor too small. We've recommended it to all our friends as it really is a great coffee maker.
on 21 November 2013
Bought to replace a Phillips that owed us no favours over the past four years. Good features, timer and Aroma regulator, However two irritating faults :
When you lift the lid to fill the water reservoir / add coffee ,condensation from the previous brew drips down the lid. The manufacturers obviously identified this and affixed a little lip to the reverse of the machine. Sadly it's not quite wide enough so some water will always trickle down the back and onto the worksurface.
Secondly the reservoir aperture is quite narrow so you need to be pretty precise in pouring water . Take the lid off the jug before filling and you can see what you're doing !
Apart from the above, brews good coffee, keeps it warm , looks good and is value for money