VINE VOICEon 21 November 2013
A small child's eye view of life in wartime Barrow In Furness.

A heartwarming little stort and often funny story of what it was like to live in a working class family during the war, as told by a 5-year-old girl.

Her story starts from the Winter of 1941,her very first sight of snow and when war was declared and how it affected her family, never to be the same again.

A delightful insight into an innocent life in times gone by.

This little book of memories is all about wartime family life in Barrow In Furness, a shipbuilding town in Northern England.

This is well worth a read. I found it very enjoyable.
on 21 March 2014
Oh how I enjoyed this book, it's only fault ... it isn't long enough. It's one of those beautifully innocent books you just loose yourself in but reminds you of your childhood days. Although I was born after the war, there were many things mentioned that you remember and can maybe have a chuckle over and some of the sayings I remember my Mum saying to me many a time. Just about to read book two and hope to enjoy even more. Well deserving of the five stars I have given it.
on 28 March 2013
A nostalgic account of wartime Britain told through the eyes of a rather charming little girl. Enjoyed this but unfortunately it was spoilt by rather poor editing in parts. Also I suppose the blank pages had pics. in them but unfortunately they didn't appear in my copy. I think the charm and content gives this the right to 5 stars.
on 19 July 2012
This lovely story takes me back to where we were in the war years. Things were so different then but we were happy and the friends we made then are still friends now. Lilian captures the way we were so well, the little things we did, how we helped each other out. Barrow was like a large village, a working class town where everyone worked in the shipyard. It was a good place to live as a child with hardly any crime as such and great neighbours to share happy times with. Thank you Lilian, I look forward to your next book.
on 8 November 2012
I enjoyed reading about Jane's experiences during the Second World War. An entertaining and well written account of the hardships endured by families (especially the evacuated children) during that time. Although I was born just after the war, this book brought back many memories of my life growing up during the 1950's.
on 4 January 2015
Was a good enough storyline, but the punctuation was painful to see. Author needs a better proof reader!
on 6 December 2012
Very very good. Well written and gives a good insight into how people lived. A good read. Would recommend it.
on 9 June 2014
Again really enjoyed this living the hard times and yet so glad I didn't live in those hard times thanks
on 21 February 2016
This is a really great book about life during the Second World War. I would recommend this book to anybody!
on 7 April 2014
Great piece of local history. If your passionate about Barrows history you should enjoy this book. Thank you Lillian Wookey for giving us an insight of your families life.