VINE VOICEon 23 September 2015
I bought this in March 2015 - it's now only September and water has started leaking out of the on/off switch (I've filmed it happening). The indicator light has stopped working (surely because it's shorted) and after boiling a full kettle this morning, found a puddle around the kettle. I have filmed the water dripping out of the switch fitting. Not sure I'd buy this again which is annoying as it's part of a set. Was otherwise working beautifully.
on 7 April 2014
My last kettle lasted me over a decade and was pretty worn out when I eventually decided it had to go. For me the for a kettle, which will always be on display, is as follows - it has to work well and not leak; it has to look nice; it should be relatively cheap; it should last for a long time. This kettle satisfies the first 3 of these requirements and I'm pretty confident about the 4th.

Lots of reviewers complain that the kettle is noisy but really it isn't any worse than most kettles, and yes it's hot to the touch, but that's pretty standard. I think it looks great and at £22 it is very hard to fault - look and feel are comparable with much more expensive kettles.

Water from the kettle did taste plastic-y the first time I used it but within a couple of boils the odd flavour was gone.

In my view this kettle will work well for anyone who values money and aesthetics combined - I'm sure there are nicer kettles out there if you want to spend two or three times as much, and there are certainly cheaper on the market, but they look cheap - fine if that's what you are after - I seriously considered the Russell Hobbs 20090 Oxford Brushed Kettle - 1.7 Litre for instance. In the end the nicer look and the pop-up lid of this one won the day.

Recommended.

Feb 2016 edit - the kettle is still in daily use and is looking good and working well. However, over the last 6 months or so I've noticed a little water marking at the foot of the gauge at the back of the kettle. Long and short, I suspect it will start to leak water before long. It's still a nice kettle for the cash but not the ideal combination of low price, great looks and longevity I was hoping for.
on 25 March 2016
Russell Hobbs 18943 Colours Kettle - CreamMy kettle broke down and needed a replacement as a matter of urgency. I was after a budget model, but the "value" ones just looked too cheap and cheerful. This Russel Hobbs one was a superb buy, it looks very stylish too, it is a nice cream colour and accessorises with other products from the same range. I have been using it now constantly for 3 weeks, it is louder than my previous kettle, which isn't a problem to me but might be worth mentioning. The kettle seems very efficent, boils very quickly. The element in the kettle is at the side, which I think will mean less limescale build up, it is very easy to give it a wipe on the inside if the scale does show up. Great all round product at a very competitive price.
on 27 July 2014
Bought from Amazon Warehouse at a bargain price and was essentially brand new - just unpacked and returned.
Bought to replace a Breville where the scale filter had perished and a replacement filter would cost c.£12. So, for a little more outlay I bought this - driven by the fact that I have now bought a supply of scale filters to use as replacements but which only cost under £5 each. If you live in a hard water area, I'd strongly recommend you buy a few to prolong the working life of your kettle, particularly whilst this is a 'current range' model and the replacement filters are not expensive. My experience / research found that replacement scale filter prices vary significantly between different manufacturers and also depending on whether the model is current or an old one.
As for the kettle itself, it does what it should, looks good and is easy to use - no problems reading the water level scale which some reviewers seem to experience(?). So I can thoroughly recommend it.
on 11 May 2015
Having gone through several lightweight kettles in the course of one year, I'm delighted to find that Russell Hobbs do a lightweight kettle. It has a good capacity but is light when empty so it's up to you how far you fill it - perfect for weaker wrists and stronger ones if you're having your tea made for you! I chose the cream finish which looks lovely and stylish and its obvious from the first use that it's of a far better quality. I'm expecting it to long outlast its predecessors. Very happy customer
on 18 February 2016
Having to buy a new kettle about every 12 - 18 months I am loathsome to purchase an expensive one ( have done that on a few occasions and it has never been worth the extra expense). So more or less choose a fast boil kettle on its looks really. This does what it says, boils water at a fast rate, this is fine if you don't actually want to hold a conversation, watch tv or listen to music in your kitchen at the same time. It is without doubt the LOUDEST kettle I have ever had!
on 1 September 2013
I like the design and hence I bought the kettle. It is hot on the outside as many others have mentioned. But then the other day I tried touching my parents plastic kettle after a boil. And it was not as hot, but very hot and woudl have left a burn after a few seconds.
Rule in life: Don't touch hot stuff in other places than the handle... same with pots, pans and coffee mugs. And empty your kettle when you are done with it. If not to prevent little fingers from touching it and getting burned, then to prevent little fingers from accidentally pouring the hot water down themselves.
I don't see any safety hazard with this item, that is not a hazard with so many other kitchen appliances.
A good buy, good price, quick delivery, pretty jug. I'm happy!
on 10 July 2016
Nice looking kettle, does the job, just be aware that it will start to leak after a while, depending on how often it's used. I think it's possibly because of the little rubber stop on the inside that lets water through to the outer so you can see how full it is. It must melt over time seeing as the heating rod is so close to it.
on 10 October 2016
For the price this is a good kettle. Have had it for couple of years and there have been no problems. Modern look and has plenty of matching other kitchen accessories (toaster etc). Removable filter at spout which is easy to clean and reinsert for those with limescale issues.
Would buy again.
on 16 November 2015
Used this kettle whilst staying at a holiday home recently and was most impressed with it, so much so I bought one to replace the rubbish one I had at home that was so loud you couldn't talk while it was boiling and so slow it was painful. So far, this one is relatively quite and fast and I don't know if its my imagination but my tea certainly tastes better!! Looks good and pours well too. Would recommend.