on 16 May 2013
I bought this book as someone researching content marketing strategies for my company. We want to become 'thought leaders' in our niche and thought that this book would help us generate ideas and best practises.

As someone from a more journalistic background that is relatively new to marketing, this book was really easy to read. I'll be honest, I thought that this book might be an effort to get into, but it is really engaging and easy to digest information. The thing I found the most useful about the book is that it isn't really telling you anything where you think "struth, I couldn't do that." The advice is practical and just makes sense.

I recommend this book to anyone or any business looking to become a 'go-to' source of knowledge and information within an industry.
on 5 November 2013
I will keep this review simple and to the point, as this books value speaks for itself. As soon as you start to divulge into the various subject matters which Hayes explains through out this book, you immediately get the feeling that not only this guy knows his stuff, but more importantly knows how to collect the information and present it in a simple format.

Becoming the Expert does exactly what it says on the tin, it gives you the knowledge and different paths to explore in order to be in a position where you can enhance your marketing skills, as well as developing certain key points through out the book.

This was the best purchase I have ever made on a professional book and gives you a complete run through of different ways to approach your marketing. Anyone who is involved in the industry, regardless of which level you are at, should purchase this book as it really is a marketers bible and without doubt the best guide available on the market today.
on 23 January 2013
If you are building your brand or want to raise your personal profile becoming an expert in your field is the one single most useful piece of advice anyone can ever give you! And that's exactly what John has done within this excellent book. I like books that are written in plain English and are straight-talking with no jargon - this is one of those. It's the type of book that is very easy to refer back to over and over and it's obvious that John knows his stuff. If you are starting out and haven't got a massive budget available for marketing purposes then you need to read this as it will help you start getting more attention, simply by using knowledge you already have. Definitely well worth reading!
on 11 March 2014
This book should be read by everyone in marketing, especially if you're still doing things the old fashioned way. The world has changed. Advertising is dead. Content is king. If you're looking at all of those experts on Twitter and LinkedIn and wondering how you could be like that, you need this book. Becoming The Expert gets you started with thought leadership and the huge benefits it brings. It will get you over the initial hurdles that are holding you back and start you down the path to getting your own following and your voice heard. The book is well written, well structured and to the point. Lots of useful takeaways that will make a noticeable difference to your content marketing.
on 26 May 2016
The book is straight to the point, however i felt it's content was for marketing beginners. Eg explaining what Social media is, seems like the sort of thing to explain to someone with no background in marketing.
on 1 May 2014
I really enjoyed the book.I gave a very good overview on what is required to begin to position yourself as an expert and to content market. There are a number of thoughtful and simple recommendations which could make a difference to any business. The easy to read style and frequent examples combine to give a useful guide which I will keep close to me as I go down the path to being seen as an expert in my field of Social Media . Thoroughly recommend
on 3 July 2014
While I am not a newcomer to content marketing John's book has changed my thinking about the subject. The chapters are well informed and concise, making this the ideal reference book for the content marketer. It has found a permanent home on my desk and is a great reminder for me before launching into any campaign.

John doesn't waste words in his book, so I wont waste any in this review - 5 stars!!
on 18 July 2012
In Becoming THE Expert John gives excellent tips for small and medium-sized businesse to build their reputation and grow their business through use of their industry expertise and knowledge. The book focuses largely on web-based activity (blogging, social media, etc.) - but features strategies that can be adopted by both on and offline businesses. Some great tips on how to find your voice and distribute your thought leadership content and equally important - how to spot mistakes and prevent self imposed roadblocks that can thwart your efforts or damage your reputation as an expert in your industry.

Best of all, most of the advice is free to implement so you can attract customers and build your industry profile for no cost, just a small investment of your time on an ongoing basis.
on 21 May 2014
John Hayes gave us several easy to implement tactics to advance our company reputation, as well as ideas on how to go beyond traditional PR.
on 6 August 2012
As a business owner I've been struggling with creating a social media campaign. Is this you? This book contains a remarkable revelation.

This book is brilliant in that it cuts though all the hype and rubbish written about marketing. It contains solid, sensible advice with real world resources that will help you with your marketing. It has completely changed my Social Media strategy and replaced it with a Thought Leader strategy.

Get ahead of the marketing curve and buy this book now.