Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Tom Chaplin Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 20 February 2013
This is now mt third pair of Berghaus Explorer Trek walking boots, I like to have at least two pairs on the go at any one time to allow for any drying out necessary for the boots. I walk 5 times a week, over hills and put in 9 to 10 miles a day. They get a hammering as I'm out in all weathers and all times of the year.

Firstly you can guarantee that these boots, like all Berghaus boots, will fit comfortably straight out of the box. I find it not necessary to 'run them in' so to say.

Before I took to getting the Explorer Trek model I had two pairs of the Berghaus Explorer Lite's. Just as comfortable, but not quite as hard wearing. That was primarily due to the slight difference in the models insomuch as the stitching at the tow cap area of the respective types of boots. The Explorer Lite has a stitched toe cap, the Explorer Trek does not and with the hammering I give both types of boot the 'Lite' was getting badly worn, cracked and letting in water where this toe cap stitching is located well before any other area of the boot were becoming worn.
on 10 October 2017
Really light, properly water-proof (unlike a lot of rubbish out there), and just real quality boots. superb
on 2 February 2014
I had a pair of Brasher Fellmaster GTXs for many years and was worried about finding a pair of boots of the same quality at a reasonable price to replace them. I found them in this pair of boots. They fitted perfectly right out of the box, no breaking in period,
waterproof, cleaned easily (I used a wire brush on the dried mud that returned the finish to as new). They are smart and light enough for every day use around town as well as walking in the counrty. Thoroughly recommended.
on 12 April 2013
These were a present for my husband and he is very pleased with them. The only slight comment I would make is that we feel that there should be a leaflet with the boots telling you how to take care of them.
HALL OF FAMETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 11 April 2013
I think I can say that these are the best walking boots I have ever owned.

Lighter than normal all leather boots due to the construction of a leather skeleton with material panels, they still have all the strength and support of a traditional boot. They are flexible in the right places. I was a little concerned about waterproofness, but these babies seem to be totally impervious.

I am usually a size 11, and found an 11 in these to be a perfect fit. What amazed me was that these boots did not require me to `break them in', as I have always had to do with other walking boots. I did a 10 mile walk in them the day after buying them, and they were supremely comfortable. I gave them a quick nikwaxing before use, and they have proven to be completely waterproof. I used them in conjunction with Trespass gaiters for a 22 mile hike the other day, through seemingly endless deep and very muddy puddles that regularly came half way up my shin, and at the end of the walk my feet were bone dry. Amazingly good. The lightweight build of the boot makes them perfect for such a walk, as at the end of 20 odd muddy miles my feet normally feel very heavy through both tiredness and the accumulation of mud on the boot, but no such heavy footed feeling that day.

An exceptionally good pair of hard wearing yet lightweight walking boots. One of the best buys I have made for a long time. Highly recommended, 5 stars.
on 16 December 2012
I bought them for my husband who loves them, he's had them before and says they are the most comfortable boots he's ever had. Delivery was free from Amazon and the service was second to none,thankyou
on 14 May 2013
These boots are comfortable and durable. I use them for working outdoors during all types of weather conditions and they keep my socks dry. They offer great padding and protection and stabilize my heels with extra hi-top support. Last weekend I completed a twenty six mile hike across the Isle of Wight over gravel, mud, grass and sand and up and down several large hills. Sure I used comfortable socks and used surgical spirit to clean and prepare my feet before hand, but comfort was never a problem, the only objects I removed from them, during my rests, were fluffs of the sock which could cause friction and blisters. I ended the walk with no unusual discomfort and dry, warm and blister free feet.

The reason I purchased these boots was because I had used the Berghaus Explorer boots before, that original pair of boots lasted me seven years, and even after seven years (and even on their final days with a large hole forming in the side of the boot) they kept out any damp and kept my feet comfortable and dry even in snowy conditions. I used my old pair of Berghaus Explorers on a month long sightseeing trip in Japan in which I did a lot of walking, in snow through Kanazawa and Shirikawa-go, through the city streets of Tokyo and the mountainy paths of Miyajima island. Seven years old and able to withstand those sorts of environments I was happy to buy a new pair and was very satisfied on how they performed on my twenty six mile hike over the Isle of Wight.

I'll be recommending these boots to anyone, they are well worth the price tag, and value for money ! I hope Berghaus continue to make this line of walking boot, as in another 7 years I'll be buying another pair !
on 17 October 2014
I didnt realise i have had these as long as i have. just short of two years now and whilst i am happy with them and they serve my purpose for fishing and walking they do have issues. Firstly they are not 100% waterproof.This was the selling point for me and a bit of a let down. I do a fair bit of walking/fishing in wet conditions but i would say only an average walker.I might only go out for 2-4hrs max with the dogs. If you were to go walking for a full day or even half a day say up on the moors or wet boggy tracks then you would get problems with wet feet.Not a lot i must admit but enough to cause some discomfort. Secondly the tread on them is so slippery. I find my feet slipping whilst walking all the time on hard uneven surfaces especially stones or rocks. With the tread on them i would have expected better grip. Having said all that they are wearing really well with very little tread wear and the uppers are still pretty much as the day i bought them although a lot dirtier.
All in all a good comfy boot with good ankle support but not quite as good as expexted.
on 14 May 2013
I wore these boots out on a hill walk straight from the box with no problems. They're extremely comfortable, very light with good grip on rough terrain and they also look great. I can't comment on the waterproofing either way as I haven't (believe it or not) been caught out in weather that was wet enough to properly test their properties in that regard. They'll be fine for me, as an occasional walker not racking up too many miles I expect I'll get several years of excellent service out of them. I wouldn't, however, recommend them in the case of people who are clocking up high miles on a regular basis, a close friend who is a postie bought a pair for work and they were completely worn out after 4 months.

So to conclude, if your're after comfort and good looks, look no further; if you're after hard wearing boots, I'd suggest that you think carefully before committing to buy these.
on 21 December 2014
Very comfortable straight off no blisters. It is just a shame that the tread compound is so poor in the wet, that I would consider them as dangerous.

See one answered question