Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 June 2013
The trouble with categorising music is eveyone has their own interpretations of which artists fall under that particular banner. And with compilations such as this the compilers either take liberties or haven't got a clue and often seem like they are just picking songs out of a hat. My interpretation of Bubblegum Pop is a genre of music that occurred between the late 60's & early 70's, a prelude to Glam Rock. Good examples of Bubblegum Pop would be EARLY Sweet (their hits before Blockbuster), 1910 Fruitgum Co, Ohio Express, Tommy Roe and The Archies. On this basis, only around 20 songs out of the 75 tracks featured here come under this genre. To be fair, most of the aforementioned artists were included in the first compilation Sugar Sugar and represents the genre far more accurately. At the end of the day compilers are there to sell records, hence we have the inclusion of mega stars like Abba, Michael Jackson, The Supremes & The Drifters but I am not sure if these artists along with Ashton Gardner & Dyke, The Cystals, The Ronettes, Bobby Fuller Four, Eric Carmen, Billy Ocean, Dana, The Four Seasons, Bonny M etc etc were ever classed as Bubblegum Pop. So we are left with a mixture of pop, glam, disco and a handful of fillers that don't belong on any compilation. My recommendation is, if you like the majority of the songs on this album then buy it but if you're looking for authentic bubblegum pop look elsewhere.
on 28 May 2014
One of the three "bubblegum" pop albums,the other two being sugar sugar & candy candy.unlike other 70's music collection , each of these collections actually offer songs that ARE NOT found repeatedly on similar collections.check out this lot and I think you will be surprised as I was.well worth adding to your 70's collection if you like that era's music .
VINE VOICEon 7 October 2014
After the enjoyment created by its predecessor 'Sugar Sugar' I was a little disappointed with this album. There are some good classic tracks on there but also a lot of fillers that I had never heard before, and I lived through this era.
on 21 November 2013
I think Jackie is better than this CD. The tracks on this CD appear to be from the 60's and 70's and I am not familiar with some of the tracks.
on 25 April 2014
Oh how I love this music! I'm a Hip Chick from that era and this CD is brilliant. I bought it second-hand and, unfortunately, it has a few tracks that don't play but, as I already have those tracks, I'm not too bothered.
on 10 April 2013
I purchased Sugar Sugar which was really good but Honey Honey what a great choice of songs, normally you always get a few dud tracks but not on this my personal CD is disc 3,sadly lost my wife 10 months ago but they were all her favourite songs she would have loved it, thank you so much Colin
on 23 September 2012
First off, I've given the music on this set 4 stars, because I didn't want to be stingy.

Now, this is a collection of mostly 70s tracks, some are glam rock, some pop, but there are precious few that could be called bubblegum. It seems the compilers decided that, due to the success of its forerunner, Sugar Sugar, they would issue a second volume.

But looking atnthe track listing, where's the bubblegum! Blockbuster? Nope. Curly? Nope. Deep Purple? WTF?

In fact it would be easier to list the tracks that ARE bubblegum than those that are not.

With the best will in the world, and being as generous as possible, they include:

Disc 1

Disc 3
2. ABC Jackson 5
15. Soley Soley Middle Of The Road
17. When You Are A King White Plains

In other words only about a third of these are what i would escribe as bubblegum. There's Glam, Soul, Sunshine Pop, Motown, Beat, and many other styles here.

I don't have an issue as such with the compilation, but I can foresee that people who bought this comp on the strength of Sugar Sugar may not like what they receive.

So 4 stars for the comp, but -4 for the misleading subtitle!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 November 2012
good cd and brings back great memories ,quality is excellent as is the choice of songs,
and you can even understand the songs and hear the words ? will have you singing along I promise
on 25 September 2012
I sent for this CD as it had the music from my teenage years. Some of the songs seem to be new to me but most send me back. I play it when we are out in the car and I enjoy the tunes.
on 12 May 2013
as an OLD FART I can sing along with nearly all the tracks, smashing . why ask for a certain number of words when I have already said what I wanted to? I wont bother again